Van Halen or Van Hagar

theryugobuddy

Which was better?

there is no question--David Lee Roth was the best frontman/singer that rock had ever seen to that point--

Sammy Hagar-- I like him but he took most of the edge off of Van Halen's sound--and gave them stupid album titles--

I'm always amazed that people think they were better with Hagar--

Comments, Questions, Abuse?

Shoot TRon--I'd think you'd love them--

I guess I spent too many nights cruising with the boys in a certain "state" with Eddie's chords going right through me--

I was right there with you in that "state", but I was listening to Deep Purple and Sabbath. I might be a bit older than you[:o]

Van Halen was too much flash and not enough substance...FOR ME. I've never been a fan for long winded riffs for the sake of long winded riffs. Just MHO.

I do like "Running With The Devil"

I actually liked both, not at true "Fanatic" of either...

I grew to dis-like the van halen brothers after the debacle that left Sammy on the curb...

I was lucky enough to have seen the David Lee Roth / Sammy Hager road show in Camden, NJ.

As I remember, Roth opened up with 'Hot 4 Teacher and proceeded to rock the joint playing all of my old favs... Sammy, suprisingly, wasn't quite as strong... he kind of looked weak by comparision while he tossed in a few of his hits from his solo career to go along with the best of Van Hagar.

even though they weren't exactly 'getting along', THAT show kicked ***!!!

Ok, got me on this one. THere was a certain swashbuckling youthful, girls, cars and pot thing that David Lee Roth did so well in his heyday. But that day passed and the new Van Hagar with keyboards, dual guitars and Sammy's stage presence was equally fitting for the VH brothers. It's a TIE.

Shoot TRon--I'd think you'd love them--

I guess I spent too many nights cruising with the boys in a certain "state" with Eddie's chords going right through me--

I was right there with you in that "state", but I was listening to Deep Purple and Sabbath. I might be a bit older than you[:o]

Van Halen was too much flash and not enough substance...FOR ME. I've never been a fan for long winded riffs for the sake of long winded riffs. Just MHO.

I do like "Running With The Devil"

Wow--

I liked Van Halen for those riffs, and didn't get as into DP and BS because of their lack of flash, as compared to VH. I would compare Eddie to Jimi Hendrix--everyone thought Hendrix was all acid guitar freakouts but the more you listen to him the more you hear the rhythms and songwriting. Eddie's riffs, TO ME, sound wild and fast, but he was always going somewhere with his changes and he sure wrote alot of memorable songs to boot.

I dug Machine Head, and, and I really liked Ozzy's last album with BS "Never Say Die", even though most critics crapped on it.

I'm 46, and I graduated high school in '77. I was listening to Elton John, Cat Stevens, Seals and Crofts, Todd Rundgren and Uriah Heep when you were getting assaulted by Toni Iommi and Richie Blackmore.

Polls, do whatever you want, just watch your wording and the categories you create.

Ron, you and I have got to get together. I'm a DP NUT- got all the Ian Gillan, Tommy BOlin, BLackmore, Rainbow, Glenn Hughes offshoot projects as well.

Did you know that Ian Gillan and Glenn Huges each sang on a Sabs album after Ozzie was fired?

Michael

I also wanted to say BOTH David and Sammy had great carreers after VH too. I just do not know how you can pull off all the bad stuff you do 24/7 for DLR..

Obviously, the lesson here.... is you can't.

The MTV VH "Hot For Teacher", "Jump".. SAMMY HAGAR "When It's Love" ... Davids, "I'm Just A Giggalo" on MTV was wayyyy off the charts cool.

I miss the old days when videos mattered and MTV was about music too.. [Y]

Polls, do whatever you want, just watch your wording and the categories you create.

Ron, you and I have got to get together. I'm a DP NUT- got all the Ian Gillan, Tommy BOlin, BLackmore, Rainbow, Glenn Hughes offshoot projects as well.

Did you know that Ian Gillan and Glenn Huges each sang on a Sabs album after Ozzie was fired?

Michael

My first LP was Machine Head wwaayy back when. I really like Glenn Hughes. Have you heard another band he was in, trapeze? GREAT STUFF!!!!

I have a TON of Purple boots, they were my first love musically. I've been getting into Tommy Bolin lately, his stuff with Purple is great, his solo stuff even better. When Blackmore first left the group I was devistated but after a while Bolin grew on me.

Sorry for the hi-jack thereyougobuddy[:D]

nother 'jack, sorry

Got all the Trapeze, met Glenn at a Tommy tribute show in Denver a few years back. Got all Glenns solo stuff. Tommy's brother Johnny has a tribute organization set up and there's like 20+ CD's that they've remixed. Some you can find at BB. TommyBolinArchives or Tbolin.com

Michael

nother 'jack, sorry

Got all the Trapeze, met Glenn at a Tommy tribute show in Denver a few years back. Got all Glenns solo stuff. Tommy's brother Johnny has a tribute organization set up and there's like 20+ CD's that they've remixed. Some you can find at BB. TommyBolinArchives or Tbolin.com

Michael

Yep-Got em. A couple sound bad but most are really well done. I have a couple Trapeze boots that are excellent also

Musicaly speaking only, I prefer the DLR erra better. Vocal speaking.... I would say I like them the same. Van Halen took a strange turn in sound when Sammy came on board. I guess the DLR erra was a little more raw, and rocking sounding.

Huge VH fan. Seen them 3 times. Snuck into one of the shows... [;)]

I miss the old days when videos mattered and MTV was about music too.. [Y]

MTV is just F'n stupid these days. My guess is that the only people who REALLY like MTV are the younger crowd that don't know any better. Were not around when they actually played music video's. Now day's it's just stupid *** show after stupid *** show.

Now day's it's just stupid *** show after stupid *** show.

I had a opportunity to talk to Sumner Redstone many years ago at a convention.. (used to run viacom who owns MTV..) Ok and I was very out of place.. it was the rebel in me too.. He said in a nutshell that the big ticket item was programming and movies and DVD 's (of terrible trash shows..<<My comment) so $$ wins out again.. The record companies of course would give videos to MTV for free, but they MTV didn't make any money from it..

I say bring back VJ's... ( low cost of production..too) Follow bands on tour, and have fun again.. Yes, have some ads.... if you had legitimate demographic groups watching different segments... it would be a advertisers dream!!!

And for friggin sake.... get RID of the reality BS shows that have NOTHING to do with music..

I thought MTV stood for MUSIC television.

Sorry to rant,,, But in aug 1981 when the buggles sang "video killed the radio star" ...I was glued to MTV. Radio died (Some reported never to come back too..) TV shows were lame... and nothing else mattered....

I could no longer watch an hours worth today with ANY such gusto at all.