Van Halen or Van Hagar

theryugobuddy

I never got to see Van Halen live (with DLR), but I saw Van Hagar in 1985. It was a great show (BTO was the opening act), and Sammy really impressed me with his guitar skills. At one point in the show Sammy and Eddie were doing the dueling guitar thing, and Sammy was for the most part holding his own. That is something that DLR could never have done. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

However, I would give the edge to Van Halen with DLR. That first album is killer! Even if they had never made another album, that one alone would have made an indelible mark on rock music.

There's good stuff in BOTH lineups.

Roth: No matter what, Roth gets props for being an original, which many bands copied. Every 80's "hair band" owes it's existence, in part, to David Lee Roth. His style in his youth was a perfect fit for a lead in a rock band - songs like "Take Your Whiskey Home" could only be done by DLR. The height of DLR Van Halen was "Fair Warning", particularly the live shows VH did in support of that album. It seemed that after that, VH was more often too trashed to play the shows than not - making the Diver Down/1984 era a bit hit or miss - because so much of what makes a band is the live shows.

Sammy was the right singer for them at the right time. I'll never forget the first time SH played with Eddie Van Halen - at Farm Aid in Champaign back in the 80's. Sammy says "This next one's for all you tractor pullin' moth******** out there" to which they did a ripping version of "I Can't Drive 55". After that, Sammy had the universal stamp of approval.

Some of the Sammy/VH material is a bit too "pop" for me, but overall, Sammy worked very well in VH - especially the live shows. They were much more consistent with Sammy doing the live shows (with exception to "Balance", when things were not good between members at that time). The "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" tour was THE GOODS - they were doing 3 hour gigs, and the band was as electric as at any time during VH's career.

The only thing that ever bothered me about VH was that they "piped in" the keyboards during live shows. I have issues with hearing instruments I can't see at concerts - if there is a keyboard playing, I expect to see somebody playing one. VH didn't need a keyboard anyway.......

BTW - is Michael Anthony one of rock's most underrated bassists, or what?

Great post, A-Nec--

I had most of the albums, but I never got to see VH live--recording-wise, DLR-VH was better to me--but that's only half the story--

I saw SH a couple times and he is an incredible entertainer---his Montrose tunes--"Bad Motor Scooter" , "Rock Candy", and "Space Station #9" should be staples of classic rock-- and he ripped on all of them live--he and a bandmate would stand on opposite stacks and have guitar wars back an forth--

Michael Anthony should not only be known for his bass but for those incredible backing vocals-- I seen three different videos of VH, and damn he hit those high notes--he was a big part of their vocal sound--

The only thing that ever bothered me about VH was that they "piped in" the keyboards during live shows. I have issues with hearing instruments I can't see at concerts -

A lot of bands do this.. I saw def leopard with keyboards under the stage... played by other musicians and background singers...

Almost like a pit band.. (I was plastered up against the wall in the front row.. could see everything down below..) They also had the real amps miced as well. (I can assume most on stage were for show then!! lol)

Most young pop singers today play along with back tracks.. You can't dance run around quite like that for 2 hrs and still sing.. as long as it is them.... I have no problem with it.. It is pop music afterall and created in the studio and is a different genre and audience. Now fake the lead vocals too.. in a live performance.. I might as well be watching it on American Bandstand.

Also DLR drank ice tea with lots of honey in most if not all all of those Jack Daniels bottles on stage.. NO way again you can drink 1-2-3-4-5-6 bottles of the stuff and sing n function.. Even if you could pull it off for one night.... Night after night you couldn't... And when you start missing shows... The Record Company/Venues start to quit booking you. The facts are, successful band make a LOT of money on the road especially with T shirts at 25- 30 bucks... CD's, and trinkets... etc etc . To screw that side of the business is just plain stupid.

DLR was definitely an original, I'll give ya that. With those gymnastic leaps, that hair, clothes, and ATTITUDE, he personified rock and roll of that era. Like a lot of other rockers, it just got tired and old as he got so full of himself that even the band mates couldn't tolerate him. Drugs and alcohol took a terrible toll on this band as well. They may have looked young and healthy, but underneath was a soap box of cocaine.

Sammy pulled off one of the best career switches ever on a rock and roll stage. He was able to bring his own audience and quickly transformed the Rothophiles to Sammydom. This has to be accomplished very quickly on stage or the audience can batter even the strongest rock and roll ego. I give you an example of young Tommy Bolin trying to fill the shoes of Ritchie Blackmore. Kid practically got booed off stage every night. Died from OD a year later.

I too hate all the fakery with keyboards under stage and backup singers behind the scrim. If it's coming out of the speakers it should be on stage. Didn't everyone learn after the Milli Vanilli episode?

Michael

VanRoth was the only incantation for me.

It seemed like after "1984" the guitar licks and riffs got so... bad.

All of the albums up to that point had at least a few songs that simply SHREDDED the fretboard. The majority of the songs were merely 'awesome' and the rest were 'great'....

"A lot of bands do this.. I saw def leopard with keyboards under the stage... played by other musicians and background singers..."

At least the band had REAL musicians under there playing the instruments! I cannot figure out why the band would want to hide them - if they are playing live, they should be seen. VH was just "piping it in" to the mix - no live player.

"Most young pop singers today play along with back tracks.. You can't dance run around quite like that for 2 hrs and still sing.. as long as it is them.... I have no problem with it.. It is pop music afterall and created in the studio and is a different genre and audience. Now fake the lead vocals too.. in a live performance.. I might as well be watching it on American Bandstand."

A note for pop musicians: If you aren't really singing (or playing), you aren't doing a concert. If you can't dance and sing/play at the same time, STOP DANCING. I paid to see you SING, and to PLAY MUSIC LIVE, so please do. As far as I'm concerned, Britney Spears and similar artists aren't doing "live shows", since so much of what you hear isn't "live performance". I know they are "for the kids" - but I can have respect for any artist who can really perform. Even if it's just pop stuff - but don't say it's live when it's not, please.

"Also DLR drank ice tea with lots of honey in most if not all all of those Jack Daniels bottles on stage.. NO way again you can drink 1-2-3-4-5-6 bottles of the stuff and sing n function"

Known and noted here. That was a part of the act. What WASN'T a part of the act involved consuming mass quantities of alcoholic beverages at a local club the afternoon before the concert. I knew in advance of the 1984 show that VH would be quite loaded for that night's performance - courtesy of the radio station manager who got me the tickets - and who attended the party[<:o)]

But hey, they ARE a rock band - and that's par for the course for many. At least they all lived to tell the tale.......

And that was one very welcome aspect of the Sammy era VH - they were very sharp at the live shows, and very consistent.