Sunfire Ultimate Receiver..

IndyKlipschFan

I looked at the diffference between this and say the separate Theater Grand 4 and didn't see anything different...really. Looked at all the specs usually like separates better but this seems to be ok...

Retail is + - 4k... I think I can get it for 3k.

Anyone have this..?? any comments...

I am using 7 split la scalas... and the new Klipsch THX 120 subs and Klipsch 1000 amp too..

Looks like all the latest sound decodings with no more Aragon out there... What do you think?

Come on indy, you are smarter then this you know there is a difference between and integrated receiver and separates. Specs on a sheet are not the full story. Time to build the bank account back up from all that construction and put some money where it belongs...into the equipment. Better replace that 2910 with a 3910 while you are at it.[6]

hahaha maybe your right.. But I am fine with the 2910....

It is the Denon 3802 that needs to be replaced....Maybe.

I know separates are the way to go.. if it was not just for asthetics... I would drag the 3802 upstairs and the Aragon down.. I just could not find anything on the Sunfire spec wise between the separates and this receiver..

OK, my hands are spanked... off to the internet to look for options...

So Sunfire, B&K, Krell, Cary, McIntosh, Rotel.. who knows? They are all "eye candy" IMO with big $$ to take em home. So if I am going to spend that much money your right.. At the end of any ones HT deal.... take a few months, years, lol, and save, and do it right.

After I joked with you, you got me wondering. I quickly found this:

My Sunfire Reciever is in the ballpark of the Sunfire separates of the same grade, but there is still a noticeable sound difference. I listened to the Ultimate Receiver and thought, "there is NO WAY that the Sunfire separates can get any better than THAT." Then I listened to the Sunfire Theater Grand IV, and Sunfire Cinema Grand 200~seven....and ate my words.

While the Ultimate Reciever does sound several classes above NAD separates in the same price range...it can not compete with separates that cost twice its asking price. Period. Its a simple matter of the quality and cost of internal components and the laws of physics when you place some of these components next to others inside a confined chassis.

Who knows if this guy is all knowing and hearing...but it does make sense. Read the entire thread here:
http://hometheaterhifi.com/forum/printthread.php?t=1231&pp=40
AtomHeart is the poster.

Don't forget formats change from time to time. If you get the TGIV along with seperat amps you can always swap out the pre/pro for a more up to date model and still have your amps. I would be inclined to buy the latest and greates pre/pro you can afford and by used amps. Let somebody else take the depreciation hit on the quality amps.

No way, this is the fun part. I am spending Indy's money, not mine. The way I see it the equipment should be better then the room. Remember the old car saying? "All show and no go" The HP has to be there to back it up. So I am going to badger him to get the TGIV over the receiver. No sense in having all those killer Klipsch speakers and driving them with a Yugo [:o]

hahahaahahaha why not just go the 207amp and MX 135 route with McIntosh???

I still have no pool table bought yet. Curtains.. some art... a tweek here, a tweek there...

It is going to take time to do right.. And I am ok with that.

I think the room is pretty good.. Looks like I am in trouble..

On a slightly different tack, I simply wish someone would market their pre/processor section as a separate unit for a reasonable price! (<$1K)

For what I need (and its not a $6K Krell for HT!!!!!), even something like the high end Denon without the amplifier section would be great.

And it would even be nicer if someone did this while acknowledging the hybrid 2 channel music application as well as the multichannel music/HT applications and delivered a reasonable priced 'switchable' unit less the cost of the mediocre integrated amps.

On a slightly different tack, I simply wish someone would market their pre/processor section for a reasonable price! (<$1K)

For what I need (and its not a $6K Krell for HT!!!!!), even something like the high end Denon without the amplifier section would be great.

And it would even be nicer if someone did this while acknowledging the hybrid 2 channel music application as well as the multichannel music/HT applications and delivered a reasonable priced 'switchable' unit less the cost of the mediocre integrated amps.

I agree dragon.....the current (excellent quality) pre/pro's pack so much processing power to do so much that they've become increasingly more complicated not for just setup, but for actual use. If it were me, I'd have a unit that was capable of the latest 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 processing; superb 2-channel mode, be capable of software/hardware upgrades and that's it.

Indy, for what you want out of your HT, you can score an NAD pre/pro (excellent reviews), and Parasound Halo 125watt amps and be well under $4k.

Tom

If it is simple you are looking for look no further then the TGIV. I have set up and used several pre/pro and receivers in my day. This thing is very intuitive and simple to both set up and use. Don't believe me? Check out the review in "Home Entertainment" Nov/Dec of 2004.

I have not heard the Ultimate Receiver, but I really like my TGIV

set-up..like has been said it is almost so easy to set up it is

stupid. I had a Yamaha higher end amp for a while, and that thing

had all of these bells and whistles, sound stages and effects, crazy

stuff, the manual was something like an inch thick. The worst

thing with the TGIV is the part of the manual on the remote control

(Sunfire badged Ultimate Remote), since that thing could run a small

country...

Very easy to set up, connectors are pretty logical and heavy duty, good

looking peice of equipment, oooh, and it has pretty blue lights!!!

YMMV.

K

Scooter's advice makes a TON of sense. By using separates you'll gain flexibility and the ability to swap parts out should something go down (I know you've got those Mackies in the Karaoke rack). You like the 3802, it does everything you need. So why dump it all when all you want is a little more headroom? Heck, how hard are you really pushing it right now with all those LS and THX sub system. Is the 3802 even getting warm?

Don't be in such a big hurry to spend major bucks for negligible improvement. It's not like you use that system for detailed 2ch listening. Or that you ever really do that much detailed 2ch listening, right?

I'd just sit still for a while, or hook up the Mackies to see if you can tell that much difference between 3802 and massive headroom.

Michael

I looked at the diffference between this and say the separate Theater Grand 4 and didn't see anything different...really. Looked at all the specs usually like separates better but this seems to be ok...

Retail is + - 4k... I think I can get it for 3k.

Anyone have this..?? any comments...

I am using 7 split la scalas... and the new Klipsch THX 120 subs and Klipsch 1000 amp too..

Looks like all the latest sound decodings with no more Aragon out there... What do you think?

Pick one up for me!!! I swear, I've been a good boy Santa....

if I haven't been 'good' enough to merit the Sunfire, then maybe a sweet deal on the Denon 3802 ?

btw, good advise, as usual Coalter [:-*]

The Sunfire Ultimate Receiver was reviewed by Sound & Vision here:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=411&page_number=1&print_page=y

The current model has Dolby Prologic IIx. Power is excellent, but the noise level may be a bit too high for Heritage speakers.

Bill

PS: The review has omitted the test reports that were originally part of the review. The Sunfire receiver tested as 183 wpc into 5 channels simultaneously. The noise figures were 3 to 4 decibels higher than ideal. B

On a slightly different tack, I simply wish someone would market their pre/processor section as a separate unit for a reasonable price! (<$1K)

And

it would even be nicer if someone did this while acknowledging the

hybrid 2 channel music application as well as the multichannel music/HT

applications and delivered a reasonable priced 'switchable' unit less

the cost of the mediocre integrated amps.

Well if you can wait a year I plan on doing exactly this for my senior project! [:D]

I figured I would take it a step further too and provide 4-way digital

crossovers with time correction on every channel of output (perhaps I

should make this an addon attachment that connects via a "sub-d"

connector to make it cheaper for those that just want plug and play).

The reason for a 4-way is to allow the user to hook a subwoofer up to

every channel (I figure the most anyone would want is stereo bass, but

I figured it wouldn't hurt to have this capability on every channel).

And just for kicks I can include a few different methods of deriving a

third mono center channel for 3 channel stereo and I plan on creating

my own matrixed surround sound processor. I am still undecided if I

should build the crossover section such that you need a computer to set

it up, but it would be really nice to have a large visual on a monitor

instead of manually entering numbers (kinda like the PA system

controllers).

Now I know you're thinking overkill, but the point is that I can build

this all completely free of charge because it;s a school project - so

any and all features will be implemented (and no worries, there will be

a very pure analog path completely shielded from the rest of the unit).

So what do you think? 2 stereo analog inputs, 2 coax and 2 optical

digital inputs, a set of multi-channel inputs (8 total for 7.1). And

for outputs there would be 4 each per channel (32 total) and then one

more for a summed subwoofer output and then 3 seperate outputs (L C R)

for the "pure" audio path and derived center for 3 channel stereo.

That's only 52 connections on the back....each is going to be one of

those cool 1/4" combo XLR connectors, capable of both balanced and

unbalanced operation [H]