Couple of nice MKIIIs

Erik Mandaville

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig:

You also made the abrupt assumption I didn't know the builder of these MKIIIs -- You're wrong.

You also said I haven't a clue of what I'm talking about. You have forgotten that I was the one who first brought up the use of ICLs (or a standby mode swtich on the B+ center tap) in this thread, and you are now recommending them. The difference between the two of us is that I knew how an ICL worked. You described the manner in which they function backwards on more than one occasion.

The first ICLs I have used were from an ebay seller who also installed them in AC outlet boxes for people who don't have the means or knowledge of how to do it for themselves. I asked If he had extras that could be sold for inside chassis use, and he sent me approximately 10 ICLs. I just can't remember if this guy is the same seller Dee has provided the ebay link for. My feeling is that it probably is, but I don't know for sure. It was a few years ago that I made that purchase.

Toodles,

Erik

Dee: I think it will work fine for you.

Erik,

Your such a Weenie. I bet you often toodle something. I've been using thermistors for at least 2 fricken years.

weenie.jpg

Weenie is a very sensitive guy, and it angers and saddens him that everyone isn't just as sensitive as he. An admitted male feminist, Weenie is ever vigilant against anti-progressive attitudes. Though he seldom comes into personal contact with the working classes, he keenly feels the pain of their oppression nonetheless . Weenie's chief antagonists are Troglodyte, Evil Clown, Capitalista and sometimes Ideologue. Because of his natural petulance Weenie can easily be goaded into battle, but he is encumbered by a tendency to throw temper tantrums when severely pressed.

Yes, Craig.....I'm such a weenie.

The boxes use the 'CL' series of current limiters, and, depending on application, are also sometimes used in series. I have a couple of WWII receiving radios from Hallicrafters and Hammarlund, and I think I may invest in one of the all-in-one current limiter/outlets to use with them. I prefer to keep those old radios as original as possible, so something like this would be helpful. This same seller also offers MOVs, which I have installed on my amps for protection against sudden spikes in line voltage. For people who may not have surge protection devices, you might consider using the appropriate MOV in the VRDs.

Erik

Fini,

Thanks for posting the pics.

This is a pic of autospec's current offering on Audiogon. My pair looks same as this from the front, except that my amps don't have the cover over the PCB.

I think his fabrication of the faceplate with toggle and LED looks pleasing. The Sound Valves version has a faceplate the looks something like this, though it moves the trannies to the back.

post-11993-13819276026016_thumb.jpg

I'll have to admit they do look nice but IMHO I would rather put the time, effort and money into the sound! They can come up a big notch from the original circuitry sound. But hey that is just me.

I think this is the way to go myself! Dale did a wonderfull job polishing the existing chrome and then had his transformer end bells chromed. No need for sand balsting and painting if you first start out with descent examples. Rust buckets need the paint!

post-7461-13819276026456_thumb.jpg

From a 2000 issue of Glass Audio. It's a short piece on powerline interface -- very useful, I think. There are a few different topics covered, including correct earthground for safety, inrush limiters, and transient suppression.

Let me paraphrase briefly from the inrush limiter portion:

When power is applied, very high current flows in at the input for a short duration. A number of things bring this about -- a building magnetic field in the PT, warming of tube filaments -- and especially charging of filter capacitors (with particular concern with the use of SS diodes).

Inrush limiters solve this problem, and are designed to have a moderately high resistance at initial turn on, which then lowers as current passing through the device heats it. Inrush can be particularly problematic in high powered circuits, where just the inrush caused by the power transformer primary winding can be enough to blow fuses rated at even twice the steady-state load. One such ICL is the CL 110, which has approx 10 ohms of resistance -- which, after a few seconds, then drops to perhaps .3 ohms (Glass Audio, November 2000).

There is a very good schematic diagram of this, including the use of an appropriate MOV (which I also mentioned above) across the primary of the power transformer.

Erik

From a 2000 issue of Glass Audio. It's a short piece on powerline interface -- very useful, I think. There are a few different topics covered, including correct earthground for safety, inrush limiters, and transient suppression.

Let me paraphrase briefly from the inrush limiter portion:

When power is applied, very high current flows in at the input for a short duration. A number of things bring this about -- a building magnetic field in the PT, warming of tube filaments -- and especially charging of filter capacitors (with particular concern with the use of SS diodes).

Inrush limiters solve this problem, and are designed to have a moderately high resistance at initial turn on, which then lowers as current passing through the device heats it. Inrush can be particularly problematic in high powered circuits, where just the inrush caused by the power transformer primary winding can be enough to blow fuses rated at even twice the steady-state load. One such ICL is the CL 110, which has approx 10 ohms of resistance -- which, after a few seconds, then drops to perhaps .3 ohms (Glass Audio, November 2000).

There is a very good schematic diagram of this, including the use of an appropriate MOV (which I also mentioned above) across the primary of the power transformer.

Erik

So what is your point Erik??