Noise cancelling headphones

Erik Mandaville

I had a student listening to his personal CDP in class yesterday, and noticed he was using what appeared to be a pretty nice pair of headphones. Instead of asking that he give the player to me (we sometimes have to choose our battles in school -- and this is pretty minor in a comparative sense), I asked about what kind of headphones he was using. He (a very good student, BTW) said he couldn't stand the sound or the 'feel' of the OEM phones that came with the player, and that background sounds drove him crazy, interfered with the music, etc.

Do any of you have personal experience with this type of headphone? I might like to look into a pair to use while the TV is on at the same time.

Erik

The in-ear headphones are very detailed and extremely isolating (noise cancelling) but sticking something into your ears is not for everybody. Some folks can't do it at all and others can but after a while they hurt. Then there are foam tips versus flanges. Some come with both. The music seems to come from the middle of your head. They are very different from traditional headphones. Not for everyone.

Personally, I have the ER6I model from Etymotic ( "In ear" ). I use the flange tips. I can't use the foam since they don't fit. I love the sound. I am not a bass freak. They must be cleaned almost daily. I have had them for almost a year and I have just purchased an additional 5 pair of flange tips because the pair that came with them are wearing out. I do enjoy them think they are worth a little effort. I will not buy a large pair for the bus/train.

As far as over the ears, I have only heard the Bose tri-port headphones. They are passive noise cancelling. Not bad really.

Here is one approach. Try to eliminate by large or small and price. Then buy them from a place where they

have a 30 day moneyback policy. Although you will pay more, it's like

purchasing insurance against dissatisfaction.

Thanks for the replies. What I was referring to had more to do with some sort of 'active circuitry' that is evidiently able to help/reduce -- probably sort of whitewash -- background noise. It's not the type of phone that is inserted into the ear (which I really don't like), but rather the foam padded type.

I'm sure I can do a Google search on this, but just thought I would ask if anyone here has had any any experience with them. My wife said she knows someone at work who has to travel frequently, and uses this type of headphone to help drown-out jet engine noise inside the cabin.

Erik

Erukian:

"I recommend you take a peek at all of these sealed/noise cancelling cans -- the reviews are generally pretty trustworthy. I've bought from them before and so have friends.

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/sealed-and-noise-canceling/

best of luck in your hunt! :)

-Joe

This is excellent, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks very much! (I was so busy and rushed yesterday, I forgot I had saved this link).

Erik

Also: The Sen. HD 650s I have now are excellent headphones. They are the open-back type of phone, though, which surely must have something to do with what's happening. People in the same room who are watching TV say they can hear the music I'm listening to very clearly. The 650s are great, and I'm going to continue to use them, but maybe just for times when the TV isn't on at the same time. There are lots of possibilities!

Again, thanks for the link.

Erik

Why do I have a sense of deja vu? Since you are still interested in headphones, it is obvious that there is something very wrong with your system.

Parrot, you seem to doing a lot of these type posts lately... The ratio of troll to even "dog" posts is getting lopsided. Is your system doing OK? On another front, I cant remember a post from you on SACD lately....this was your mantra for a long while; you had more ad material than Sony. They could have used you I guess.

On the headphone subject, I find that even the good models to sound subpar and rather unnatural. In the studio they can be useful and if you need to listen without bothering a sleeping tike... but I have found them unappealing for a long time. The last foray involved a pair of Sennheiser HD-600 phones and the ASL MG-DT/OTL tube headphone amp. It quelled my need to drop big duccats into a new phones rig to replace the old. I prefer the open phones to the closed any day - much more natural sounding, IMO. And ANYTHING to tose earbud horrors.

kh

LOL! Welcome back, Kel. After a year's break, you have finally built
up the courage to try to match wits with the Parrot again? This should
be fun.

I can't remember a post from you on SET lately . . .
that was your mantra for a long while; you had more ad material than
Ron Welborne. He could have used you I guess.

I can't remember a
post from you on EICO lately . . . that was your mantra for a long
while; you had more ad material than, well, EICO did. I guess you
found out the hard way that leaving a tube amp on 24/7 means that you
eventually end up like you did, with a defunct amp. Oh well, not to
worry, you have a DIGITAL amp you can get sound from, of sorts. That
way your house doesn't get SUPERHEATED by all those glowing tubes, like
you were whining about recently.

You are right about headphones,
though. Erik had a lengthy thread concerning headphones a while back,
when you were recuperating. Probably would be a good idea if you read
it rather than be posting from a position of ignorance about his
situation.

I'm just trying to increase the amount of time I spend listening, and found headphones to be perfect for weeknights. I don't want to wander off to some other room to do that, since we spend little enough quality time around here because of crazy work schedules. Because of necessary cable-related/room issues, music stuff and TV have to be in the same room. When we work out a better HT arrangement, most of this will be combined again.

I certainly am not replacing the main system with headphones, but the Sen 650s really sound pretty good. More importantly, I'm listening to music.

Erik