20 Watt Tube Amp?

Jeff Matthews

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff,
It's nearly impossible for me to describe the difference in presentation. The difference is fairly obvious if all pieces of the puzzle are in place but for me with my limited writing abilities Im not able to convey the difference. It really can not be explained in technical terms very well either. IMHO SS can equal tubes setups but the $ spent to do it are extreme. To me budget SS sounds like a machine not music.
With my tube amps or similar there would have to be other things setup properly to truly get the full benefit. Just pulling your SS amp out and inserting the tube amps into the equation with say a SS pre is not going to do much at all. I bet the basic sound would be very similar. First and for most you need a killer active tube preamp, second is speakers but you have that covered.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Ill even commit business suicide and say that you can get a good percentage of the way there by simply buying a top notch tube preamp and using your SS amplifier. The final piece of the puzzle is a great pair of tube amplifiers.

I think that your best bet is to try and find someone local to you with a great Klipsch, Tubes setup and go give it a listen. I highly suggest if you do find someone with a tube setup with some balls or you may find it overly polite to your taste.

Craig

Jeff,

Those VRD amps are the answer to pure tube POWER and FIDELITY; ...if you get a great TUBE PreAmp !!!

Listen to NOSValves...he is dead on with what is needed to take you to that next level !

I didn't look at the whole profie. .... And you're a drummer! Me too, but looking at your set, you probably can smoke me. I'm not too bad, though.

Jeff,

Drumming is an emotion art. "Smoking" someone on the drums is not part of my language. I have made so much money in this industry by playing what the artist wants. Music is emotional and is all about the FEEL of the song's rhythm that you are conveying.

Of course, drummers may want to compete against each other to see whom is the fastest or whom has the "trickiest" licks...but all in all it comes down to the feel of the rhythm ! Just because someone can play a drum pattern doesn't mean that they have it all together. It is how the pattern is conveyed dynamically that truly matters.

Send me your address...I will send you one of my cd's.

... you have a PM and an email from me !

Do you have tubes in that category?

The VRD's are 60 watts per channel. Jeff, this gives you so much more headroom and dynamics. I have the Baldwin 6L6 tereo Tubeamp...but that is only 14-16 watts per channel. There is no way in H*LL that it can hold up to the VRD's , ...as far as power !

"I have the Baldwin 6L6 tereo Tubeamp...but that is only 14-16 watts per channel. There is no way in H*LL that it can hold up to the VRD's , ...as far as power ! "

If all else was the same (which it likely isn't) a 60w amp will play 6dB louder then a 15w amp.

Shawn

I didn't look at the whole profile. .... And you're a drummer! Me too, but looking at your set, you probably can smoke me. I'm not too bad, though.

Jeff,

.... "Smoking" someone on the drums is not part of my language.

Craig, I've never seen a great musician boast. While it might not be part of your language, I know when I get smoked. [;)] But it's not competitive in an "ego" way for me - it is all in good fun. Really, I'd rather sit down with a better drummer because that is where I take home a few new tricks. As it turns out, it really is a small world. You know my brother, William. He took lessons from you. I think his son, Christopher, also took lessons from you.

Jeff,

William and Christopher Mathews ...your brother and nephew ????? What a small world !!! Yes, they are past students of mine. Christopher is suppose to return soon, I heard from daddy William, as soon as I find a mutual time we can co-ordinate. There is a waiting-list for my new clients, but past students get to by-pass that list anytime they wish to return.

I have had my drum school established in Houston since 1979... ; 26 years of educating has placed me in front of over 2000 clients in my past. So chances are that if you are a drummer in Houston...you may have crossed paths w/ a client of mine. A perfect example of this is your brother and nephew.

Talk about versitility. I fell that I am the one whom learns the most...having to adapt to every individual talent that walks thru my drum company's doors.

Jeff, do you have any cd's or a demo of your drumming that I could hear ?

"I have the Baldwin 6L6 tereo Tubeamp...but that is only 14-16 watts per channel. There is no way in H*LL that it can hold up to the VRD's , ...as far as power ! " If all else was the same (which it likely isn't) a 60w amp will play 6dB louder then a 15w amp. Shawn

But, boy does that 6 db make THE difference !

Craig, I don't record myself on drums. I just put on CD's of classic rock and sit down and jam. I'm not at all a "serious" drummer. I'm pretty decent for a "not serious" drummer. I also got your PM. I am about as serious with my stereo equip as I am at drumming. Decent equipment for being "not serious" about it. So, I don't know alot about the specs of my equip. I know that my KHorns have AA Xovers and the drivers are supposed to have AlNiCo magnets.

My place is a wreck. When I said "fixing up 'This Old House,'" I meant it. We have gotten down into stuff that would scare most people away. Ripping out joists and walls and beaming up to combine 2 rooms into 1 room. Installing DIY HVAC galore. Finally just routed the gas lines to furnaces this weekend - a project I put off until the first cold front, of course. The house didn't even have siding material on big walls in the front when we bought it (just tar paper). The living room floor was like a trampoline because the joists were so rotten. Wood framed windows were rotten on the bottom, and the weight of the glass was collapsing them as they sagged. Truly a fixer-upper. Some people told me "run as fast as I can," but I saw the challenge and the diamond through the lump of coal. We've done alot. Foundation is fixed. All new windows. Demo'd all old brick front and chimney and replaced with limestone brought in from Austin. 250' of wrought iron fence with intermittent limestone columns across the front. Hardi-plank, crushed asphalt driveway, etc. But all the interior finishing touches are waiting for all the structural to be completed. So, the carpet is shot. The kitchen and bathrooms are gross, etc. We'll be getting to those in about 3-4 months or so. I can't wait. After a year of re-building this house, I finally get to start refinishing the interior to make it look nice - and finally presentable.

Imagine buying a 4500 square foot house and practically ripping it down to its skeleton - even replacing part of the skeleton for that matter - all while trying to live there and accomplish this like some sort of "weekend warrior." It is fun, though. I love the challenge.

Why did I take this on? 2 wooded acres this close-in is rare. If it wasn't for the land, I would have "ran as fast as I could."

Look forward to hooking up with you. Keep my contact info. handy, and let me know when your Scott pre comes in.

Man-o-Man...you sound like you have your hands full.

Are you married w/ children ??

---------------------------------------------------------------

How large and how tall.... is the room that the KHorns will be used in ?
{This matters for MAX KHorn fidelity.}

What year are those KHorns...(what is the serial number)

---------------------------------------------------------------

I have all your info stored under VRD demo, in my Microsoft Outlook Program.

Can I have your email address?