Subwoofers on Hardwood floors

milton10

I have a Sunfire Super Junior that has spikes on the bottom.

While the spikes work very well with carpet, they tend to rattle on the

hard wood floor. Should I remove the spikes and use rubber

pads? I have tried it, but the sub seems to moooove with extended

play. Any ideas getting the most from my sub? Thanks....

I dunno...have you tried those little flat metal plates with an indentation that the spike's tip sits into? Usually they're used to protect hardwood floors from having puncture holes from the spikes themselves, but I don't know if they'll prevent Junior from scooting across the floor either. I would've guessed the spikes would dig into the wood, preventing any vibration or rattle, unless something else is causing your rattle besides the spikes.

Milton,

As a Sunfire owner to another,great sub you have there. [:D]

Now to get the MOST out of any microsub that does not use opposing woofers or PR's to cancel negative energy becoming sub dancing on the floor.Simply once youhave chosen the EXACT spot for your sub(where it sounds best to you)get four heavy duty security double sided stickers and stick them in the corners of the sub bottom.Stick the luittle bugger on a clean floor(clean with alcohol before sticking it).

Your sub will no longer wander about the room and stay put.This improves the deep bass too.No more lost energy on cabinet daning,the only moving parts is the woofer's piston and the PR's.

velcro wiggles and you might get some of that crackle sound it makes as it is pulled on. Not to mention you will still have to use glue with the velcro (so you're essentially adding an extra connection).

You definetly should move to rubber feet. If it still slides around then be sure to wipe the area down and get the dust off both the floor rubber foot (though this will be less of a concern when using a softer rubber material). If you still have problems then double sided tape will be your best bet. You should be able to find it at any hardware store...you might have to ask around because I've seen it in all sorts of odd areas. Btw, don't get the scotch double sided tape that comes on the normal tape dispenser thing....they won't stick very well. You need to get the kind where it looks like the spools that surgical tape come in (basically looks like a donut with a lid that pops off). The important thing is it will have a backing to the tape that you will have to remove to reveal the second side....it basically uses a better glue and will definetly hold better.

One other idea you might consider would be to get one of those heavy ceramic floor tiles and glue a piece of carpet to the top...then just use your normal spikes and rely on the heavy mass loading of the tile to keep the cabinet from moving. If nothing else, it makes a great vacuum cleaner barrier [;)]

How about just something heavy on top of it?

Not practical

The weight of the object on top would have to be higher than the subwoofer itself.I experimented and it will work with four rubber feet(slim rubber feet)and a weight of about 40lbs on the sub itself.Who wants bricks or weights on top when you can use very strong double sided tape.

I use security anti theft double sided rectangular patches.These are so strong the last time I had to move my Sunfires to sell them...I ripped some hardwood floor tiles with them. LOL

Yes though I rather have something that does not do damage to the floors.....

I worked with the security tape and they are a ***** to remove....

I was thinking more in lines with either a big flower pot or making a

box and filling it with some lead shots per that other forum member

putting shotgun lead shots in his cabinet but put it inside a box and

placing something like a flowerpot or something to cover it up. eh

whatever floats your boat