Gorgeous Pair of Oak Academy's just showed up on ebay

fletcherkane

No connection to the seller. Fort Lauderdale locale. This pair looks sweet. The guy started the bid at $80 with no reserve, and from the description, it sounds like he will be suprised if they go for much more than that.

Man I wish I was closer. I would contact him and offer him say ....$200 bucks to take the pair off of his hands and save him the shipping nightmare...[6]

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Academy-Speakers_W0QQitemZ5829480677QQcategoryZ94906QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am the guy that bought one locally (120 mile round trip anyway)! The pair are awesome. He was not trying to cheat ebay at all, but he didn't want to get screwed either. He didn't agree to even sell to me until he ended his auction and I helped him with some insight on these. I think that is fair. Imagine my panic when I thought I just screwed myself on letting him know ahead of time.

Some people (he said he had several private emails almost instantly and each day grew more and more) filled his head with these should go for even $1k+ each, and not to sell for less...but they didn't want to buy (you are the guys causing some artificial inflation). I can't blame the man, he was worried he was going to get robbed on this auction...esp. after the $466 bidder retracted his bid which I suspect was to set up a snipe later on. However, I do feel if he did a Buy It Now at $1000 each, he'd be out listing fees and time and probably jeopardize his future ability to sell. The day academy's sell at $1000 each buy it now, I may be doing some searching down here in South Florida. I am sure a few of those with 5, 6 and 7 Academy's would probably consider reevaluating their setups.

I had long conversations with him for the past few days, I told him $300 is the low end of what's fair and possible (one sold to his first bidder last month for $10+190 shipping in great looking condition)...$900 the high end and pushing it a little when you can buy a couple of the same series Mains for about that price and easily have an Academy made at that cost (one last month in black for $510+shipping). There are people that will just throw a grand at one of these, but may nitpick little details and you have to ship them. We probably all have heard of speakers never making it to their destination intact due to shipping abuse. I don't know about everyone, but when my sales online approach 4 figures to non-businesses, I get worried. I sell a lot of stuff. Even $5 items can cause headaches. Now I don't deal in items that won't buy me and my wife at least a nice meal out.

The speakers were not sequential serial numbers; if they were I was going to mention he could have gotten a premium (I am honest). However both were in excellent condition, save a few very minor problems that can be concealed with a wood pen easily. Regardless, the speakers are in perfect working condition. He used these in a separate listening room originally, maybe 50 hours he said of use...I believe it. He had them in boxes for a long time as well...he just moved and threw away their originals boxes :(.

Anyway, I think $500-600 would be totally fair for the other one. If I had the extra cash I would have bought both. Got to think of rear center in the future. The cones/horns looked as new as the one I sold in 1998 for $115 because I was an idiot ;) (I did find it odd someone from Boca Raton was at my door at daybreak with the cash and insisted he pack it into the original box I had, with manual and sales brochure ;))

http://groups.google.com/group/tx.forsale/browse_thread/thread/a4a641fefceb55e8/3d112346fc58a923?lnk=st&q=alkemyst+academy&rnum=2#3d112346fc58a923

My current HT will end up with 2 Quartets , and my new Academy (I am in an apartment now)...once I buy a home next year, I will add either two more Quartets for surround (and nice end tables) or something better for Mains.

He is a great seller, I just wanted to make sure the drivers were working...that's all I needed, he asked if I wanted to listen louder...definitely not hiding anything. I can help to get in touch with him, this will not violate eBay policy either... He is still leery of the whole internet dealings so let me know and I will pass it along and back to him, and then he will reply if it's not going to cause him problems. He is not going to sell the other one less than $400 (I think that would be too little too for Oiled Oak)...but that is his starting offer...he is a family man so I can understand not wanting to divulge his personal contact info.

I am so happy personally. Unfortunately I have no speaker wire here now, I seriously considered sacrificing a lamp. I got to hear it at least earlier and I did hook it up to my left main tonight when I got home.

Anyway, I really want to call in sick tomorrow and watch movies once I get some wire...but I need to pay this off as I want to do some nice things for the rest of my family at Christmas.

Sounds like you got a great deal. I am not suprised at the number of inquiries he received, and I was not trying to imply that he was a shady seller. I just found it interesting that he didn't seem to know what he had, with the 80 buck starting bid for the pair. Congrats on your minty Academy! Enjoy it! Someday I'll find one close to me and finish my theater right...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Academy-Speaker_W0QQitemZ5830330188QQcategoryZ94906QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

that is his current auction...no bids and starting at $400.

I am sure snipers are ready.

email me at alkemyst@30moons.com if you are interested, he is in Weston, Florida. I recommend a local pickup and there has to be S. Floridians here.

My purchase takes me back 7 years when I sold mine.

I am now looking at an upgrade to my RX-V1050 to HTR-5890 and surrounds (I am still in an apartment ;)).

Just built a top of tv shelf to the wall to place my Academy on. I had to build a molding surround as I have 3 active, jumping kitties weighing in at 16lbs+ each. It's not artwork (a 21x24 pine select plywood, a 1x3 pine wall mount, and a 8 foot piece of dark oak 1/4 round moulding to keep it sliding off) but it looks nice.

I was running Phantom center on my Yamaha RX-V1050 and it put way to much 'booming' into the mix.

Now my wife is REALLY happy. She said is sounds like the people are talking where they are. No more noise.

She is still a little upset (since we share walls in our apartment) when Star Wars III gets crazy...however, during the news she mentioned it's much clearer.

This was an great purchase.