Klipsch ..."revealing" ...or ..just Harsh ...??

Duke Spinner

recent listening experience forms this question............

does Klipsch actually reveal deficiencys in the Source ........

..........or, are they just plain Harsh given some Source material.....................????

last weekends "entertainment" consisted of moving around

Speakers.....upn' down 2 flights of stairs, .that was the entertainment

part for anyone watching .....

so we have ...

Altec 19's

K-Horns ..fresh off the slow boat from Toronto..literally ... a ferry ....

JBL 4430

now ...some recordings.....sounding "silky" on the 4430's, "sweet" on the 19's ..........

were, well, just plain irritating on the KH

4430's aren't a " kind " speaker,.... thier Cold, Flat, Detailed .....like a real .."Monitor" should be

yet things tolerable on them, well, sukked on the KH...........

which Speaker , then, is Correct ..?? .....a Big question ....

is it the Source material ..?? ..the AA X-Over..?? the K-55 ..??

my moneys on the K-55 ..( yes Tom Brennan )

the KH seemed to produce the same Mid harshness, and loss of Detail,

that All my other Klipsch speakers exhibit.given a "busy" mix.....think ...for example ..Yes 90125...........

that use a K-55 .......

now ..the Chorus 2 , came thru the same material with a pleasing sound ...guess why ...??

yea ...no K-55

Comments ...Mod's ...??

i think next is an Altec 291 in the KH.............

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

recent listening experience forms this question............

does Klipsch actually reveal deficiencys in the Source ........

..........or, are they just plain Harsh given some Source material.....................????

I would say revealing....but harsh if not mated to the proper gear........

Polks for example sound just the opposite...all closed in, boxey and restrained UNLESS they are mated to the proper gear. Maybe all speakers have their bad day when the source is lousy.

Duke, when it came down to it, my LS/CW preference depended almost entirely on the source material. Then it becomes an aestetic question, what will fit and sound the best on the most material. Also HT/2ch seem to have different demands. There so much in the equation of 'what is best in which location with which source and which material'.

Most of us will probably never have a definitive answer, that's the fun of it all. From this quest comes stuff like JC's Cornscala and KH with numerous mid/high combinations.

Don't fight it man, revel in the joy of it all. We'll probably never reach perfection.

M

Our auditory memory is miniscule. I found that there was no time allowable to move speakers, so everything came out of the corner and away from the wall a prescribed distance. Not even time to A/B using the receiver and dialing down the LS the requisite DB to match the CW. It has to be level matched and instantaneous in order to properly compare. You will be amazed. I found that I really loved the KG4 and that the RB5 was heads above the RB3 even though they look very similar. Take volume out of the equation and even the little KSB1.1 sounded pretty durn good.

Tough comparing CW, Chorus, and CF3 though, pretty neck and neck.

PM me with your address and I'll box up the 'comparator' and ship today.

Michael

Thanks in advance for the CD's Duke.

And the offer is open to all well-known Forum Brothers, if you want to do some great A/B testing, PM me and I'll ship ya the Comparator. I don't have a use for the switcher in my home, so it's a permanent piece of test gear.

Duke's down for Feb.

M

Just harsh!

Now go get yourself some nice soft silk dome tweeters and be happy!

On the other hand - revealing:

"What amps are those - you need a nice little SET amp with no more than 1.1 wpc"

"Its the pre-amp"

"I'm sorry - CD as the soure? Are you insane?"

"What interconnects are you using?"

"Please provide a detailed diagram of your room - measured in cubits."

"Your speaker cables really should be thicker than your manhood when aroused."

"You mean you haven't replaced the cross-over? - Call Dean immediately on 555 x-me-now"

"You aren't letting your speaker cables trail on the floor are you?"

"How much did you spend on your volume control knob?"

"Please provide accurate dimensions of the thickness of your walls."

"Exactly how was your floor constructed?"

"Khorn speakers need to be run in - you should allow approximately 300 hours for this to happen - continuous."

"You do not have enough deep bass to make a judgement - you need 4*18 inch subwoofers in each corner of the room - not including the corners the KHorns are already in of course. You do have a 6 corner room don't you?"

"That's how the music is supposed to sound. You will get used to it."

Please submit the answers in triplicate to my via snailmail in block capitals with black ink. Do not write on both sides of the paper at the same time.

is it the Source material ..?? ..the AA X-Over..?? the K-55 ..??

My money is on the X-overs if they haven't been touched in a quarter century. A 1976 pair of K-horns I heard had a strong, unpleasant peak in the upper mid-range before the crossovers were replaced w/new.

It's a K-55 in the lascala too, right?

I would love to do some AB comparisons between all the different

midranges being used on the forums. I wonder what it'd take to get

those people to bring some demos with them to the next pilgrimage mixer

thing...

Just harsh!

Now go get yourself some nice soft silk dome tweeters and be happy!

On the other hand - revealing:

"What amps are those - you need a nice little SET amp with no more than 1.1 wpc"

"Its the pre-amp"

"I'm sorry - CD as the soure? Are you insane?"

"What interconnects are you using?"

"Please provide a detailed diagram of your room - measured in cubits."

"Your speaker cables really should be thicker than your manhood when aroused."

"You mean you haven't replaced the cross-over? - Call Dean immediately on 555 x-me-now"

"You aren't letting your speaker cables trail on the floor are you?"

"How much did you spend on your volume control knob?"

"Please provide accurate dimensions of the thickness of your walls."

"Exactly how was your floor constructed?"

"Khorn speakers need to be run in - you should allow approximately 300 hours for this to happen - continuous."

"You do not have enough deep bass to make a judgement - you need 4*18 inch subwoofers in each corner of the room - not including the corners the KHorns are already in of course. You do have a 6 corner room don't you?"

"That's how the music is supposed to sound. You will get used to it."

Please submit the answers in triplicate to my via snailmail in block capitals with black ink. Do not write on both sides of the paper at the same time.

Right-O!, Max! That was the point in some of my earlier threads. Yeah, you can find subtle differences - or even some strong ones. But when you get into the upper Heritage line, that ought to be good enough. I'd live with the "flaws" in the LaScalas before spending a bunch of money to get out of them and into something else. Why? Because they're pretty darn good speakers any way you cut it. If all the tweaking is so fun as a way of life, then, enjoy. If it's not fun, and is a labor of always looking for "better," it might be best to realize by most standards they are way beyond good enough. So, stick with them and enjoy, unless you'd rather tweak, spend money endlessly and enjoy that way!

Personally, I think Klipsch speakers are harsh. Without my BBE or other tone device, they're too harsh for me, regardless of "other components". I don't have the time or money to shop around for anything better than my RF7s though, and with the BBE they're very nice, especially with rock music. If I could have a Klipsch speaker without the harsh high end, I'd buy it.