Tube Pre amp build it yourself kit?

Dylanl

The Foreplay wins in the bang for the buck like Dee says. But it might be the more "touchy" to build as it's noise and hum level will vary greatly depending of the skill of the builder. More, say, than the stuff from Welborne and Transcendant. The new Foreplay was designed for the experiementer in mind. This can be a big plus if you think about swapping the tubes and experimenting with different circuits.

Welborne wins in the look category. I can say that since I'm a World Reference in good taste.

I'd put the ease of building of the Welborne preamp on a par with the Transcendent. Probably easier in the case you like working with a PCB.

The price of the Foreplay has gone up. IMO, the Transcendent GG provides a greater chance of success the first time around. The Foreplay is a good preamp, too, but relies on more point-to-point wiring. If you want to try your hand at more traditional ptp wiring and lead dressing, I think the Foreplay would be a possibility. As was said, it will also probably take more time to 'get right' than the GG. I think the Grounded Grid is more natural sounding (purely subjective), and is essentially silent in terms of background noise, even with very efficient horn speakers.

Good luck in your search,

Erik

Triode:

I agree the DRDs are nice amps, and they go together in a straightforward way. No dispute about their quality in the least.

I think the question had to do with a preamp kit though, not a power amplifier. I've thought the Welborne Ultrapath (an important part of the preamp circuit was designed by the same guy who designed the DRDs) BP was kind of nice looking, and parts, build quality, and looks are always first rate with W-Labs. It's also gotten some pretty good reviews.

Erik

Triode:

I agree the DRDs are nice amps, and they go together in a straightforward way. No dispute about their quality in the least.

I think the question had to do with a preamp kit though, not a power amplifier. I've thought the Welborne Ultrapath (an important part of the preamp circuit was designed by the same guy who designed the DRDs) BP was kind of nice looking, and parts, build quality, and looks are always first rate with W-Labs. It's also gotten some pretty good reviews.

Erik

Yup! - You're right! - Sorry bout that!

I myself built a Foreplay II about 18 mos. ago. Looks real pretty sitting on my shelf. It was a fun kit and if I ever pick up some monoblocks I might bust it out.

Here's yet another option: http://www.audioelectronicsupply.com/cgi-bin/audioelectronicsupply.com/view_services.cgi?request=detail&dept_id=2&aisle_id=22&prod_num=AE-3_KIT

I don't know how much that mapletree goes for, but it sure looks interesting... and expensive.

You might want to try the diyaudio.com forum lots o' info.

I myself built a Foreplay II about 18 mos. ago. Looks real pretty sitting on my shelf. It was a fun kit and if I ever pick up some monoblocks I might bust it out.

Here's yet another option: http://www.audioelectronicsupply.com/cgi-bin/audioelectronicsupply.com/view_services.cgi?request=detail&dept_id=2&aisle_id=22&prod_num=AE-3_KIT

I don't know how much that mapletree goes for, but it sure looks interesting... and expensive.

You might want to try the diyaudio.com forum lots o' info.

Johnny you want some Mono's to try out or just use for a while? I have some collecting dust. Only qualification is you have to stick around and post!!

Craig