Looking for some inexpensive bannana plugs

Shade

I'm looking for some decent bannana plugs for fairly cheap.

Specifically looking for individual ones (not connected by plastic)

that take the wire in the rear & use a side screw for compression.

Not interested in crimp-ons or ones that take the wire from the

side leaving the wire exposed. I'm not a $300/meter speaker wire kind

of guy, just looking for something that does the job fairly cheap.

So far this seems like a decent (cheap) option from parts express :

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=090-465

Cost all of $0.65 each. Anyone here use these before?

I'd like to hear some other options, what others are using, etc. Also,

any place that offers bulk pricing would be good. I'm looking to go in

on a bunch with a handfull of coworkers. Between everybody, looking to

pick up about 74 pairs.

Thanks

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?DID=7&PartNumber=090-470

I got these, the dual ones hook to most everything and look nicer than the singles. Some manufacturers change the spacing because dual bananas are used in parts of Europe as A/C plugs.

Get with a friend and buy a big bag for quantity discounts. I got 25 each red and black. A 5.1 HT is 6 lines x 2 plugs per or 12 dual plugs minimum if you do em all.

I like having all my equipment with similar plugs cause I have tons of stuff and like to switch around a lot.

Michael

Partsexpress is the cheapest place I've found for banana plugs. If somebody knows of a less expensive source, I would sure like to know, too.

If you want to use banana plugs to connect to the back of some receivers you often can only use singles - the doubles are not spaced correctly.

While wiring my buddies basement the other day, we also learned that the particular wall plates he bought from Home Depot were spaced wrong for the double banana plugs. The partsexpress wall plates worked just fine with the doubles.

I picked up several of these http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/speakerprices.htm from Blue Jeans. Look down the page for the "Locking" Banana Plugs: info. Sadly there is no picture.

Things I like about them:

-Two set screws. On to clamp down on the casing of the wire, the other to make the contact with the strands of wire.

-There is a collar that you turn to make the plug portion in the binding post expand. It works very well there is no way you can remove them with out turning the collar the other way.

-Nice build quality, very heavy and solid

Down side is that they are a bit pricey at $5 per pair. Hey you only live once. I agree with CP1 that I like to have all my stuff match.

And please remember the standard wiring for dual bananas is that the TAB is for the ground or negative wire. In the olden days, this actually said GND on it, must be a global marketing thing that it's now left off. I know the 'marked' post or wire is usually the positive, but please stick to a standard if you can.

Just to be sure, I usually wrap a small bit of black electrical tape around the neg wire as a reminder that it is the neg.

If you'd like a bit of strain relief, try the Underwriter's knot between where the wire goes through the side hoop and the contacts.

http://www.diynet.com/diy/el_other/article/0,2037,DIY_13805_2457073,00.html

Michael

I'm looking for some decent bannana plugs for fairly cheap. Specifically looking for individual ones (not connected by plastic) that take the wire in the rear & use a side screw for compression. Not interested in crimp-ons or ones that take the wire from the side leaving the wire exposed. I'm not a $300/meter speaker wire kind of guy, just looking for something that does the job fairly cheap.

So far this seems like a decent (cheap) option from parts express : http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=090-465

Cost all of $0.65 each. Anyone here use these before?

well, in about 4-5 days I should be able to tell you what I think of them...

I just placed an order yesterday, I too was concerned about spacing issues so I got the singles [;)]

Btw, this tab thing is on the narrow side of the plug...I've heard Colter mention it so many times and had no clue what he was talking about until I had one in my hand. So on one narrow side there is no tab and on the other there is.

Ain't nothing like some practical experience at the Colter Lab, is there DrWho? Like using a discwasher and Zerostat playing your first LP here. Does my heart good.

"I'd like to hear some other options, what others are using, etc."

Hi, imo, bananas are convienent for connections that are constantly being made, like in a show room or for a builder, but for the average schmoe, doing it once a year or so, doesn't make sense.

The best connection is no connection.

However, I do wish I was the one selling & packing 148 of them. [;)]

These are the "screw-on" type...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=091-1260

see that metal knurled knob on the end of those? If those flex the slightest (which bananas often can, in tight spaces in back of receiver), they'll short against each other. I'd recommend staying away from banana plugs with non-shielded metal components in the barrels.

The little set-screws are a b!tch, but those little plastic cheapo's CANT short out.

Michael

I purchased all of mine from Radioshack for next to nothing. You have to be careful now because their stores are splitting to become either primarily product or parts. While you can still get products at the part stores you won't be able to get parts at the product stores. I took advantage of this and bought out several of their parts on clearance since they were in the middle of a "primarily product store" conversion.

This increases my drive time a good 10 minutes now :)