This just cracked me up

TommyC

I got an email from a friend of mine today. He is Not a big Audio type, but I am wearing him down! I was telling him about wanting to build some subs and maybe some speakers but not having a place to do it except my brother's shop which is 200 miles away. Here is his reply:

"I have a serious woodworking shop, I have some serious woodworking tools, I have a serious Lack of woodworking skills! Let's build us some speakers! Granted they will probably be Ugly speakers, but that is what it is! Bring me some wood!"

I spit coke all over the keyboard when I read that!

Tommy, Dean's right...you and your friend are gonna have a good time building speakers and subs. With your friend's more-than-enthustiastic attitude, plus a shop to do it in, they probably will turn out better than expected.

My youngest brother has the knack for building such enclosures...at 16 he started building car audio sub enclosures out of MDF in the front yard with nothing but a jigsaw and an extention cord, a couple milk crates as sawhorses, and tons of wood screws and silicon sealer. He's built more ported sub enclosures that way than he can shake a stick at, up until the time our folks moved up to CT and left us their house to live in (to include our dad's table saw, band saw, and electric sander). Now that he had real power tools and a garage to work in, he could get really serious and build furniture-grade cabinets...a number of years ago he finally built his first (and last) 3-way towers out of poplar plywood. They looked great and the cabinets were well braced with a slotted chamber for the woofer, but he ended up using mixed-matched parts (a cheap pair of Bose cone tweeters and midrange drivers and RadioShack 8" woofers, and a Dayton Audio crossover) that never really blended well together so they never really sounded as good as they could. He experimented with different drivers along the way, but they never sounded any better, so they became nothing more than surround speakers for his growing HT system. Now they're safely stored away within the large hallway closet in the foyer of our house, replaced by a barrage of Definitive Technology mains, center, and surrounds!

He's regained interest in loudspeaker building again, so maybe these towers will be resurrected again as well...

post-11084-13819276131066_thumb.jpg