how to clean a klipsch woofer that is dirty?

Brayton5232

Hey guys i heard that you could use vegetable oil for cleaning woofers. My woofers are extremely dirty. I have a pair of old chrous two's that were in my dads garage and i'm nervous about how dirty they are. I'm basically wanting to give them some love and use them again cuz i just moved into a house. You think this is the best way i havn't don eit yet fearing it might now be true.

I would start with a simple vacuum job using a vac with a soft brush on the end. This should get 98% of the dust and debris out of the woofer (and everywhere else in the enclosure). It's safe. I never heard of using vegetable oil. Maybe some of the others could comment on that.

There's nothing in vegetable oil that is in any way a cleaning agent. Vegetable oil will BIND the dust and dirt that's already there to the paper on the woofer and attract even more in the future, and you've compounded the problem.

Attempting to clean your woofer with anything stronger than a clean, very soft brush is pretty risky because of the very real potential for voice coil misalignment. You could turn them so the woofer is facing toward the floor and brush the woofers lightly. That's about all you can safely do; anything else is risky.

Other than general neatness, is there any reason the woofers MUST be cleaned? Frankly, considering the risks, I wouldn't bother.

I use a large soft bristle artists brush (also used for auto detailing). Use it in light motions to dislodge the dust. DO NOT APPLY any liquid material whatsoever to those cones.

If you want them to look like new, I successfully use a specialty auto paint to repaint the clean cones of speakers that had become faded by sunlight. type Painting Cones in the SEARCH field above. Go to page 5 for photos.

Michael

The reason I ask is because I have an old MKIII and I need to get it clean. You are not to far off the mark because I have seen small steam units that should work. I think it's a good idea even though you are joking. This will probably sound odd but I used engine bright to get the 40 years of grime off of my MKIIIs. It worked great but it did smell like a engine for a few days.[:D]