Help With DVD Into New LCD T.V.,...I Can't Make It Work!!

126mhz

Jeeze Louise I hope someone here can help me with this.

I have been using a Toshiba 3960 CD/DVD player for my two channel HiFi because of the 24/192 audio. I just bought a new Akai LCT 2060 20" t.v that I want to play DVD's on through my Toshiba unit.

I bought the three lead cable(s) (Red, Blue, and Green) and plugged them into the red, blue, green on the DVD player and matched them to THE ONLY RED,BLUE, GREEN on the back of the T.V. and no matter what I do it will not play the video.

There are plenty of RED and WHITE coded connectors on the back of the T.V. but only one BLUE and ONE GREEN. I thought it would be simple enough but I was WRONG.

The Freaking direction are meant for many countrys and so there is nothing in them that just says where to connect a DVD player. On the back of the T.V. there are lots of video "IN" but they are color coded either WHITE< or RED, but only ONE GREEN and ONE BLUE.

I thought the logical choice would be to have them connected in line to the RED, BLUE, and GREEN that are right next to one another. But again, that will not give me video.

Oh, for audio I have connected them into the "AUDIO OUT" and have them playing through my LaScalas.

I'd appreciate any help you guys might be able to give.

Regards,

Bill Woodward

I looked up your dvd player and it is a progressive scan dvd player with component video output (the 3 in a row marked y, pb and pr). The closest I could find to your Akai "LCT 2060" was the Akai LC20HAB which has a component input. Double-check your Akai model number.

Now, crack open both manuals. If you don't have your Toshiba DVD manual it's here:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/product.asp?model=sd-3960

You'll need to set up your dvd player for the tv shape, progressive, and "progressive conversion" see p.61.

Your tv may also need to be set up to display the component input, and a button on the remote probably needs to be pushed to see it.

It'll help you a lot to learn the purposes of all the inputs and outputs of your equipment, and what they do, not just the colors. Similar surprises await you when you begin to work on the audio...

Hi Bill, not being familar with your TV or DVD, I'd look for an "input select" button on the remote or the TV. It may be something like a "TV/VCR" button/switch.

There may also be an "S-video"(Super) connection associated with the *same input* as the component(RGB), and possibly a composite (single yellow RCA). It is usually either/or, but not both. An instance could be where you may have a VCR going into the S-video/composite, and the DVD into the component, but both on the same input.

Trying not to confuse you, but just a thought.

You guys are tops. Once I realized that the colors mean very little if anything I was halfway there! I will say that the manual Akai printed for this has a page that shows a diagram of the back of the T.V. and things like "S/Audio" "Video1" (knowing that there are more than TWENTY on all) and NO WHERE does it list soemthing as simple as DVD/CD ect.

The most helpful information was knowing that the colors mean almost nothing,...at least that I can figure out. I got the darn thing hooked up and I must say it's pretty cool to watch a movie through my LaScala's and Carver True Sub!

Thanks for all the help with my first "Trip" into home video.

As I've found out in all four of my two channel HiFi's this site is outstanding in terms of the real world help one can receive.

Fond Regards,

Well I did have to pull my McIntosh C11 pre amp out of the system and replace in with one of my trusty spares,....a Carver C4000 that I had Rita at Carver/Sunfire go through a year and a half ago.

Now everything works up to snuff,...even the sub!

Thanks again everyone,

Regards,