SVS PB12 -Ultra/2

mtber101

Hey all,

I love bass but most importantly I want a very well balanced system.

Would ultra2 be over kill for a system that includes:

RB-75

RC-7

RS-7

The room is relatively small at 13x12 but one side of the room is open to the kitchen and dining room. I know the sub is over kill for the room but I'm only going to be here for another few months. Also in the future I plan to add a pair of RF-7's.

I listen to all kinds of music and with a hometheater setup I'm sure I'd watch a lot more movies. So 50/50 movies and music. How would the RSW-15 compare?

The SVS and RSW-15 are 2 different animals. The Klipsch would suit you better if you were primarily music as it hits hard in the range that is most commonly found in music. The SVS will dig lower and work better for the type if information typically found on todays movie DVD's. They are both very good subs and either will blend well with your current or future speakers. Overkill will not be an issue as long as you calibrate the sub when you set it up.

Agreed with what CECAA850 said and I would add...

If you want a Klipsch product that does the work of the SVS Ultra line(deep and plenty of output down deep)look and listen to the Klipsch THX lineup.They will rattle your inards plus are more compact.

So many choices ... [:D]

The subs retail each for $1200 and $1400 for the amp. The amp will drive both subs. So with tax you're looking at around $4k, but I'm sure you can talk them down a bit. Maybe $3500 to $3700?

You'll need both of them to keep up with the PB12Ultra2. And not sure why some call it more compact. The 2 subs actually take up a larger footprint compared to the PB, and an additional rack for the amp.

Music shouldn't be a problem. It is one of Klipsch's best sub(s) effort to date. No idea on the price of the amp.

Shouldn't be...LOL The Klipsch THX subs are way better on music and movies than almost all SVS save for the massive SVS units that are no longer inexpensive.

The Klipsch THX duo has massive output,BIG shake factor and sound fantastic matched with any quality mains in any quality setup.

Depending on finish, you'll pay nearly double for the THX sub's versus the PB12Ultra 2. IMO, you are not getting twice the sub. If price weren't an object, it may be another story. Both offerings are better than 99% of what's out there, so it's a win/win situation.

Depending on finish, you'll pay nearly double for the THX sub's versus the PB12Ultra 2. IMO, you are not getting twice the sub. If price weren't an object, it may be another story. Both offerings are better than 99% of what's out there, so it's a win/win situation.

Ditto. The SV Ultra series drivers would be excellent with music as well as movies. There are very few 12" HT drivers on the planet more capable than the TV-12 (SV Ultra series). And as far as output & extension I wouldn't think the THX's aren't TOO significantly better in either category than the 12Ultra2. Never done a side by side with them, just store demo's with the THX. Double the sub? Nope. Worth the money? If the greater value isn't a factor then go for it. And it's always a plus to have the same manufacturer in all of your components. But if you could use that $4k on two 12Ultra2 subs? I would fear such performance.

Ouch is right. I put my pb12-ultra/2 in my basement for my HT set up, I use it with 4 forte II's and an academy center. Lucky I have a walk out and could use a dolly to wheel it in there. Also i would fear what is below it. Mine will rattle the glass coffee table upstairs without much volume. As far as overkill, I have a room about the same size T shaped that opens to most of the basement. I placed it behind my sofa in the leg of the T. Sound is excelllent for HT and the first track on Pink floyd Dark side of the moon it shakes the whole house. In the Eagles Hell freezes over DVD the musical side is great and seamless. My crossover is at 100 which is higher than I would like but it is the only point my receiver has unless I set all speakers to large. Hopefully I will upgrade to a Denon some time soon and change the cross over to 80 or 60. I got it as a B-stock which you can find on their sight and come up occasionally. I have never had the chance to listen to a Klipsch. At the time I was debating between this and a RSW 15. The RSW didn't dig quite as low as the SVS according to specs and other peoples opinions on this forum. I'm happy with it and at around 2000 I thought it was a good deal. As far as sound I doubt you could go wrong with either of your choices.

This sub in an apartment? You won't be able to properly use it in my opinion. Subs of this caliber are capable of disturbing neigbors in adjacent houses. How are you going to use it with neighbors behind adjacent walls? And with an R-7 system?

I only lived in an apartment for a year or so, but if I had a neighbor who used such a sub I'd be less than appreciative.

i only have a promedia ultra and ifi systems, rf-7 / diy in the

foreseeable future (cough adire!), but I live in a dorm and people

comment at only half power that im vibrating them... its not that loud

radio shack meter peaks 105 db? 100 db normal. c weighted 1 meter. I

think its worth the wait and future doctor visits to wait on the sub.

The rf-7 do a pretty good job when placed correctly with bass alone the

last time i auditioned them. But be afraid, a girl upstairs from me

threatens to kill me everytime i play it even at moderate volumes. And

this is only a 8 inch subwoofer from a multimedia sub.

Jay I had the promedia ultras until I sold them to my friend who also lives in the same apartment. It is a great sub for the price... and it has two 8" woofers in it. However I also had two of the add on subs klipsch had for awhile. The SWS, with 100watts and an 8" woofer each.