Deang

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dean,

Those methods are all excellent ways to do it. I thought of the push connectors on the transformer pins early on but was always afraid a heavy-handed customer would break off the pins! I am tempted to ask UTC if they could supply the 3636 with actual pins just for that purpose!

Wiring the common straps around the barrier block is very easy to do with flat braid. You just double over the end about 3/8 in back and puch a hole through it. A flat washer under the screw holds it. It bends any direction and lays flat to side of the barrier block.

Al K.

post-2934-13819276540022_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dee, I work hard on the silly things.

Al, people I sell too use stuff like below.

CARGRSs_000.jpg

Isn't that braid impregnated with flux? I like it, but I can do things with the solid tinned stuff that won't work with the braid -- like feeding it through that little hole I drill on the autoformer and soldering it all down.

That particular base is just hardwood. I had to use the thin stuff so I could use the stainless machine screws and nuts. The top layer of plywood crushes down and splits upwards when you bear down on it.

JC, you need to get all of the enamel off the wires. I guess you missed my post about it in the SAA thread.

I use the soldering iron. Make sure the tip is clean when you start. Stretch out the lead, and then put something heavy on it a couple of inches back to stop it from moving around. Lay your tip on the end and rub back and forth -- you're going to melt it off. When you hit copper you will feel the tip scrape a bit -- start feeding solder. Stop for a second and clean your tip again. Back to the lead and keep feeding solder. I usually go until it starts dripping off and takes most of the enamel with it. Solder will not stick to the enamel, you know you're done when the quarter inch or so you've been working 'holds' the solder. You don't want a big glob on the end of the lead, so after you remove the iron give the lead a little flick with your finger to knock off the excess solder. Wear saftey glasses, and keep the kids away. Let it cool a couple of minutes and clean the end with alcohol. It took much longer to write this than it takes to do it.