Anyone interested in splitting these?? Need a Center in a bad way!!

sunprairie

different? what do you mean. I liked the idea of verticals for the mains and a regular one for the center. Now another vertical as a center would be about the same as that with a lower profile(when laid on its side), though I think with a vert on its side you may(or may not)need to shield the display

If you are still considering these I would contact the seller and ask for some more pics, remember if someone throughs a bid at them the bin will disappear and I bet they may go up to the bin anyhow, espescially this time of year

if speaker height is a prime consideration (under a screen for instance), the you should definitely go for the vertical type cabinet, then when positioned HORIZONTALLY, the horns will be oriented correctly. Otherwise, a standard horizontal cabinet lying on it's side would have awful dispersion characteristics.

I know, I've currently got verticals standing upright for rears and the pattern is terrible, I have to toe them in exactly at the listening position.

Price wise they aren't bad, you'd pay more than 1/2 that for an Academy or RC7

Michael

Am I reading your profile correctly, you have LS with RC7 center now, with KG and quartet in the rear. That's kinda unbalanced. I'd highly recommend the CW center to you, and even it is going to be 6 db under the LS. Maybe spring for LS parts and make a custom or split center.

Michael

I need to update my profile--I'm running the LaScala's as mains, a Heresy II center, Quartet's surround, and the RCII as a rear. I'm overall ,pretty happy with the sound other than the shortfall in dialogue at center. The timbre match is pretty good, but the speaking voices are a bit unclear. I am limited on height for my center at about 21". I had my Heresy laying horizontal and was not happy with that at all, so I stood it up and the dialogue from the horns was too far above the television. I inverted the Heresy with the tweeter on the bottom and it's pretty good. Just still lacking a little in clarity on the voice dialogue. Not enough room for another LaScala. I suppose that Academy may be my best choice. Is there really a difference in center designed speakers or is the lower profile just to accomodate for room. At what Hz does normal dialogue run. Maybe I'm crossing over to the woofer at normal speaking voice levels. I've had an RCII, a KG4, an RC7, and now a Heresy working in the center. This is by far the best for timbre match, but don't know if it's been the best for clarity. I really don't want to spend the money going through 2 or 3 more speakers to make it work properly.

Trust me when I tell you that the Academy does an amazing job with dialogue, it is superior to all the other Klipsch centers that I tried KG 2.2V, KLF-C7, and KV-4. I was blown away with its performance, once I added the Chris Munson K-Stack network to it the accuracy reached new levels.

I would pay the $500 for an Academy in a second if that is the center that I needed for my system, it is worth it. Hard to understand why people will pay gobs of money for other components but will skimp on the most important speaker in an HT - The Center!

Popbumber has my old black one for sale, Coytee also had one for sale. Suck it up and get one you wont be sorry!

I think I've seen enough. Due to room restrictions, I'll go for the Academy. I have enough extra Klipsch speakers to sell to pay for an Academy. Thanks for all of your input. You're probably right on clarity. The RC-7 was a very good center, just way to far out on timbre match for my lascalas. Thanks for everyone's input.

I have La Scalas for all 3 front speakers. I got lucky and got the center La Scala off ebay for $300 plus $100 for a new BEC crossover. So I say get the Academy now and if you have the room for a La Scala center get it later. I had the KLF C7 and for movies it did not work for me but for SACD and DVD Audio it did a very good job.

Xman

Hey all,

Well, Coytee had an Acadamy for sale; I bought it this past week. I paired it up with my own Acacamy and put them on each side of my TV. I have them mounted vertically on stands. I wired them as the center channel using an Adcom speaker selector driven off one channel of my Acurus amp.

I did have three KT-LCR speakers as my center; one on each side of the TV and one below the TV. I also used the speaker selector for that.

As much as I liked the three KT-LCR speakers as the center, the two Acadamies are like bacon, they just make everything better! Coytee and I did an extensive listening test switching back and forth between configurations and the two Acadamies (one on each side of the TV) just plain made me smile...

I might offer the KT-LCRs up for sale soon, haven't decided yet. The would make somebody an awesome HT along with the spare pair of Forte' II I ended up with. All are Oiled Walnut.

D

soupamoto