Best Little Amp You've Never Heard of...

whell

Well, at least I'd never heard of it. Its the CEC Amp 3300. Here's their web site with some info about this little gem:

http://www.cec-web.co.jp/products/amp/amp3300_e.html

I've been selling off my HT set up, need the funds and not really getting as much as I wanted to out of the whole "HT experience" anyway. This little amp was brought to my attention by a retailer over on AudioKarma, who was selling his last, display model of this amp. He allowed me to test drive it in my system (allowing in-home auditions, to me, is the hallmark of a great audio retailer). If I choose to keep it, I'll be looking at a sweet deal on it since it is a close-out. Right now, I don't see myself parting with it (little issue with some crud that somehow got into the volume control, but I think that can be addressed pretty easily if I decide to keep it).

What a great combo this is with my RF-7's. The sound is clear and "sweet": strings sound just "to die for". I've been listening to a good bit of classical lately on WCMJ, a relatively new public jazz/classical station here in Detroit, and the sound is phenominal. The twins have not allowed me alot of time to pay CD's, but I was playing Lyle Lovett's "Joshua Judges Ruth", and it sounded like Old Lyle was right there in the room. Bass is detailed and authoritative for a 60 wpc amp. Highs are extended, and grain free.

This is nothing like any solid state amp I've ever heard before. It has its own, very involving and immediate sound quality. I've had my RF-7's hooked up to Craig's VRD's before, and truly the RF-7's haven't sounded as good to me as they did when they were being pushed by the VRDs.....until now. I won't pull out the worn out phrase "it sounds tube-like", since I don't have enough experience with tubes to make any qualitative judgements. However, I can say that I've listened to plenty of offerings from solid state manufacturers, even "Class A" set ups from Monarchy (SM-70 Pros). Those were fine amps, but this to me is a stand out/stand alone product.

I heartily reccommend you check it out. Distribution is pretty limited here in the States, but it is available on line from some overseas retailers. Also, if you've got the scratch, there is a TOTL model, and it does cost significantly more.

Hey, why are they closing out such a nice amp?

It does

seems somewhat ironic, that they devote a whole paragraph

to this *IGM* volume control, and that is precisely

where a problem has arisen. Hmmmmm.

No, this was a display model and I think some **** found its way into

the control I'm not anticipating that this will be an issue.

Isn't C.E.C. a high-end division of Sharp? AudioAdvisor.com used to be a C.E.C. distributor years ago...always thought their components were interesting and aesthetically pleasing. It's a shame they don't become more widespread here in the states.

Good luck if you decide on purchasing the integrated amp (if so, hope you get the volume control problem resolved).

A very nice looking amp with clean lines for sure. Thanks for the tip on something to power the RF-7's.

So it's solid state class 'A', I wonder if it's one of those chip amps...or whatever they call them? Maybe use two of them as monoblocks to bring out the bass.

A very nice looking amp with clean lines for sure. Thanks for the tip on something to power the RF-7's.

So it's solid state class 'A', I wonder if it's one of those chip amps...or whatever they call them? Maybe use two of them as monoblocks to bring out the bass.

I don't think its a chip anp. I've heard a couple of those (owned a Carver Pro ZR-1600 for a while), and this doesn't sound like Tripath. Besides, it does get a bit warm, though nothing at all like the "fry an egg on top" Class A amps that I've been around.

As far as bi amping for bass, right now I don't see a need. It rocks my RF-7's with some authority, though I'll admit that I don't turn my system up to concert hall decible levels.