Wow....Anyone heard these new jbl array horns?

Loudisbeautiful

Hi Dirk,

I do not yet know the cost....however, JBL did what I have been saying for years to do.......get rid of the enclosure.....it simple but brillent............I hope klipsch engineers are watching this one.......from what I heard its an extremely clean and clear horn......looks cool too! I love klipsch....however, competition is good for all!!!!!......Go JBL!!!!

"Sensitivity 89 db , pass ... "

Let's compare apples with apples here.

Trey mentioned on this forum a while back that they add 3dB~4dB for 'room gain', that would bring the JBL up to 92dB or so. Change the voice coil to something that measures 3 ohms instead ot the 6 ohms that JBL makes, and you will pick up another 3dB. Now we are up to 95dB. The 1/3rd of an octave bass extension compared to a Cornwall costs you 3dB, the 1/2 sized cabinet another 3dB.

If you were willing to accept the box size, bass cut-off, and impedance of a Cornwall, it would have the same 2.83V sensitivity of 101dB....

I hear you saying you like the trade-offs Klipsch made vs JBL.

I've heard the 3" aluminum diaphragm driver the JBL uses for the midrange, for $246 as a replacement part it is incredible. I've heard the LE-14 woofer too, ditto. I have not heard that tweeter.

As a $15K speaker the cost/value ratio doesn't look to good to me. As a DIY project with $1K of drivers, it is a different matter. You could even double up on the woofers and really go to town.

These were discussed in General a while ago.

"JBL's Project Array is a home theater speaker system featuring horn drivers for the midrange and treble. Price is $25,550 for the main speakers, plus $4,000 if you add the optional left and right subwoofers (one is at far left in the photo, which shows only one speaker from each of the left/right front and surround pairs" (Sound and Vision)

PostAttachment.aspx

Rick