do these T-S numbers look right for a K-33?

Tom Mobley

found these in an old AA post by a William H. Geiger. In

particular, the Q's and no, I've seen no also called eff and up around

3-4% for some drivers. Also, the Vas at 343 L seems high. I

remember seeing some numbers posted here but I can't find them now.

Mfg: Klipsch

Mdl: K-33-E/K-44-E

Nomz: 4 Ohms

Revc: 3.5 Ohms

Levc: 1 mH

SPLo: 92.3

SLPi: 91.13

SLPi: 91.71 @ Vg = 2V

Qms: 8.5

Qes: 0.684

Qts: 0.633

no: 1.07%

ni: 0.81%

F0(Fs): 27.99 Hz

Fi: 26.17 Hz

BL: 9.77 Tm

Sd: 0.089 M^2

Vas: 0.343 M^3

Xmax: 4.00 mm

Cms: 305 uM/N

Mms: 106 g

Pmx: 100 W

Tom, those numbers are for the original K-33 before they made the change. The "modern" K-33 has a Fs of 34Hz.

PART # K-33

RE OHMS 3.39

LE MH .96

FS HZ 34.46

QE .410

QM 7.39

QT .390

VAS LTRS 301.66

XMAX MM 8.20

BL TM 11.88

MMS GMS 78.59

CMS mm/N .2714

RMS NS/M 2.3037

SD SCM 889.59

EBP 84.4

EFF % 2.91

SPL dB 96.6

Wattage 150rms

"...got any idea when that change was?"

No, but I think BEC knows.

"is this the difference between the vaunted square magnet K-33 and the later round magnet version?"

Yes.

Since the original Cornwall was designed with the square magnet version, it might be advantages to your DBB CornScala build to get four of Bob's new woofers.

Tom,

The round magnet K-33E came into use in 1985. Going to a round magnet was a good thing because the round magnet makes for a more efficient magnet structure. Just happens that they raised the resonate frequency at the same time. I don't know why they did that.

Bob Crites

The Vas for these drivers is about "medium" for the period, but is quite large by todays standards. Works out to between 10.5 and 13 cu. feet. Many horn drivers of the recent past even double that (Altec 515 at 12.2 cu ft and SL WP1508 at 23 cu ft).

Considering that the Khorn has a Vb of less than 3 cu. feet, that is indicative of the type of compression experienced by the driver when in the horn. Once under compression, the parameters of the drivers change drastically. Nobody really knows in what way, but D.B. Keele's horn T/S formulas can get one pretty close to predicting the behavior once in the horn, providing one knows the parameters of said horn.

That being said, it is suprizing how far "off" the K33E is to the Khorn; it is not a T/S match at all! However, we can all agree that it works - the results of imperical testing. However, now that speaker manufacturers understand and can control the parameters that effect drivers, a T/S match to the horn itself can be better achieved without much problem. Perhaps some should consider that as a viable alternative, too.

It is also of interest that the modern K33E is most efficient at 100 sq. inches of throat size (not the 39 sq. inch throat opening used in the Heritage horns, and not even the full 78 sq. in available). LF anullment would occur for the K33E at 9343 cu inches or about 5.25 cu ft, so the K33E is not frequency anulled (enhanced LF response at or below FS) at all in any of the Heritage horns.

The Khorn has a fixed Fc of 40 Hz (tentatively 38Hz per the AES Jubilee paper but that is the only exact reference to the 38Hz Fc that I have seen in print, so I tend to discount it, being that there are many more 40Hz references published by Klipsch) so impedance below cutoff sky rockets upward. It is recommended that the impedance of the driver (highest at Fs) does not coincide with the horn's cutoff. In the old days, Fs below Fc was used (which I also adherred to).

Nowdays, Fs above the horn Fc can be used (see SB article "Solving the Klipshorn Throat Riddle", Bruce Edgar, 1990) with LF anullment.

DM

Tom, The round magnet K-33E came into use in 1985. Going to a round magnet was a good thing because the round magnet makes for a more efficient magnet structure. Just happens that they raised the resonate frequency at the same time. I don't know wSo hy they did that. Bob Crites

So, when I'm revamping my Cornwalls, should I put square magnet 33's back where they came from, or put the older squares in the cabinets I intend to keep, or put the newer, more efficient roundies in the ones that I keep?

Same story on Alnico vs M K77's I guess. Which ones are 'prime'? I hear advantages both ways?

Here we go again..

M

Yeah, I should learn to summarize better.

I'll try to sum it up now:

The K33 past and present K33E are both proven performers in the Khorn but there are other drivers available that form a closer "mating" to the Khorn than either of those do - that is - if one wants to experiment with everything else (crossover and higher frequency drivers and horns).

Switching from the K33 or E will require modifications to the Khorn itself (throat opening size) and will negate the current crossover at the very least.

For those who are interested, however, once changing bass horn drivers, the rest will have to follow by necessity.

The other approach is to stay with the Klipsch drivers, and in that case, I would certainly want to try out Bob's new drivers. Absolutely.

DM

Tom,

I have some of them.

FS is 25.5, Re is 3.39, VAS is 302 liters, QM is 5.95, QE is 0.31, QT is 0.30. Sensitivity is about 95 db. Coil is 1 mH.

Pmax is 150 watts. Xmax is 7.15 mm.

Anyway, according the the engineer at Eminence, these things will perform exactly like the pre-1985 K-33Es that they made for Klipsch.

Bob Crites