The best movie nobody is seeing right now...

chuckears

Pride and Prejudice is terrific; Keira Knightly serves up an Oscar-winning performance, the story is engaging (even if you are familiar with it), and the camera work is first rate.

I urge anyone looking for a film to see amongst the blockbusters this month to see this before it whimpers out of the theaters; my family and I have seen it twice already, and are looking forward to a DVD release. If Oscar overlooks this, it will be a blatant oversight.

BTW, we saw it in a medium-size DTS room at the local multi-, and the surround was first-rate; hopefully, it will be an option on the DVD; Focus Features is usually pretty good about offering up a good package.

SEE IT!

So Amy... seen this yet?

My daughter is just finishing the book, and will probably ask to see it a third time during the holidays (assuming it is still showing).

It was good to see Keira receiving a Golden Globe nomination, but the category is confusing; ("Musical or Comedy")... it was definitely not a musical, and while there were some comic moments, I would not consider it in that category at all.

...silly Foreign Journalists...

• Moderators

I wish! I can't seem to find the time (and the down payment) to actually go out to the movies these days. There are several on my list that I will likely have to wait until DVD:

P&P

Walk the Line

Capote

Kong

...among many others.

...sigh.

You should rent the older made-for-tv version for her, and let me know how it stacks up!

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this movie, and had to resurrect this thread. This is an excellent movie. I loved everything about it. Kinda hard to believe that men from wealth and privilege are so clueless when it comes to women, but... I definitely recommend this to anyone, and I think that it is worth more than one viewing, if for no other reason than to figure out exactly what they are saying in some parts. The dialog is excellent. And Chuckears, I don't think you will have to worry about the Academy overlooking this one.

I agree with the previous. What a great movie! I can't wait to hear it at home...My wife wanted to see the movie, and their was only one theater left in town that was playing it. The Star Theater in Holland Michigan. I give the name because the sound was atrocious at best. It sounded like someone shoved a bunch of blankets in front of the center channel speakers. Very muffled dialougue.

And then their was the picture. I know that their was a considerable amount of creative camera work, with focus pulling in and out and such, but even when it was supposed to be in focus it wasn't. I kept checking my face to make sure I still had my glasses on.

My wife didn't seem to mind, and actually during the movie told me I was full of it when I told her the pic was out of focus. Then when the credits rolled, it was obvious. It was so out of focus, you could barely read the names on the screen.

I deserve a so much better experience for 8 dollars a head. We go to the movies very seldom, and experiences like this make me want to stay home even more.

I complained to the management via mail, but have not heard anything in return....

• 1 month later...

Now is y'all's chance to catch this film up close and personal at home, and see why Ms. Knightley received a nomination...

I'm not hopefull for this winning in any of the four categories it's been nominated (should have been up for Cinematography and Picture, IMO), but it deserves a look. It and Walk The Line (which should have also had a Best Picture nod) are coming home with me for a nice family evening's viewing tomorrow.