Hey Guys got a question what sub besides klipsch is also good?

Brayton2511

Hey guys just wanted to get a handle on what you think i should do. Ok here we go i just sold a small JBL satilite system that i had when i lived in the dorm to a coworker of mine. I did this because i just had a deal of a lifetime and bought a whole rf-3 system for 350 dollars. I'm as my coworkers know a klipsch freak. This hometheatre thing is so addicting. Ever since i've gotten in this i've religiously look on ebay for klipsch speakers. I"m what you could say a foster parent for any lost klipsch that needs a home. If it's a descent deal i'll probably buy it. I can't help it. Anyways my point is since i've sold that cinema system i've lost a sub. I work at best buy and the sub-12 looks promising but will that match my speakers well enough? I mean i have a really nice set and i'd like to maybe look elsewhere but again i'm a dedicated klipsch fanatic so i only look at klipsch. But what i wanted to know is what are some other high end good subs. Because i could always run to magnolia hifi in chicago if need be. I've heard validyne is good. I just want some suggestions on what others are good and around 600 to 800 dollars. I know obviously rw-12 is probably a good match but what are some others. I live in a apartment now but i don't care lol. I'll listen to what i want at whatever volume i want.

I used to buy impulsively like that... but then I started running out of money...

With that price range, you have a few good options... You could pick up a cylinder or box sub from SVS. You could also buy a Dayton Titanic 15" sub kit from Parts Express, which will require some assembly, but is a good deal overall. Or, you could buy a different driver and build a sub of your own design (which is what I did). I am happy with the performance of my sub, but not the looks. It is ugly as heck, as I am a horrible carpenter. I cannot see dishing out $200 for someone to build me a new box either. The Sub-12 would probably match quite well, I've heard good things about it. The RW-12, again, would be good... I;d say an RSW-12 would be better, though. Also might try looking for used Velodynes (this is what I am going to do soon...).

I've kind of been out of the audio loop for a few months because of school... so maybe someone else has some more insightful comments that we both can learn from. [:)]

I just want some suggestions on what others are good and around 600 to 800 dollars. I know obviously rw-12 is probably a good match but what are some others. I live in a apartment now but i don't care lol. I'll listen to what i want at whatever volume i want.

Velodyne CT-150, the Cerwin-Vega CVT-300S, and the M&K V-1250THX

Pinnacle, B&W, Klipsch, KEF, Energy, SVS, etc.

A lot to choose from but I am sure you will find the first three within your price range.

If you could find an RSW15 on sale, that would be my choice but I am partial to Klipsch too!!!

I just bought a Sub-12 yesterday (got one of those 10% off coupons in the mail and that made it about the same price as the entry-model SVS). If you work as BB no doubt you've listened to it plenty.

I have a reference setup for HT and a synergy setup (complete as of yesterday) for the family room. The sub in my reference setup is an SVS 20-39 PC+ and I love it, so I was torn between buying a Klipsch sub-12 and buying a smaller SVS box for the synergy setup.

I did a lot of reading on the internet and these boards before buying and there seems to be some consensus that a few subs in the $400-500 range are really good bargains and compete performance-wise with many (most?) subs in the $600-$800 range. Among these are the Sub-12, the entry-level SVS box sub, and the Outlaw LFM-1. I never found anyone who said anything bad about any of those three. I had been a little wary of buying the Klipsch because I had heard that the older synergy subs left something to be desired, but time and again I read people's opinions of the Sub-12 that it blew those older synergy subs out of the water and I became convinced.

At any rate I think I would have been happy with any of them, and certainly loved cranking up the Sub-12 today with the Incredibles DVD. It was REALLY nice.

If you're worried that the synergy sub may not match well with your reference stuff, I was interested to see that in the sub-12 documentation it says something to the effect that it should blend well with all Klipsch speakers. I wondered how they could really say that, but at any rate it sounds really good with my synergy stuff (C-3 and B-2's).

Ditto on most of the above for "other than Klipsch" pieces, but in your price range per performance expected I'd say in the following order:

SVS, PB12-isd, all PCi series, 25-31 PC+, PB10-isd
Dayton Titanic, 12 or 15 MK III disassembled kits
HSU, VTF-2 or 3
DIY, Adire or similar

The reason DIY is at the bottom of the short list (even though it is absolutely the best bang for the buck) is because most people in your situation have a somewhat pedestrian knowledge of real loudspeaker design and could, at best effort, expect a modest result (No offense. I'm in the same boat). I figure the time, energy, money and swear words are not always worth the peace of mind and asthetics I could achieve from a manufactured sub. Something about relaxing with a Corona while somebody else hauls it up the stairs that really appeals to me! I do, however enjoy building such pieces for theraputic value and have done so many times in my brief history...

But anyway... all of those are in your price range.