question from newbie

tony

Hello everyone, i am a complete newbie to surround sound in my apt. I am posting becasue i believe i have a problem with my system. To start off, my friend has a complete Klipsch home theatre and it is quite impressive. But my focus today is about his and my 2 front tower speakers. I have a YAmaha HTR-5840 and 2 RF3's for my towers. I also have some stupid garage sell sub and center channel... My friend has an entire synergy line to include 2 synergy 2 towers and a yamaha reciever HTR-5450 (identical to mine except it is one version older.) Well the thing is when my friend turns his up to about -50-55 it screams and it sounds unbelievable... he has kept all the stock settings and hasnt messed with the sp volume levels or anything. Mine, on the other hand at the stock settings i need to turn it up to about 28 or so just to get CLOSE to the same vol level as my friend and it just dosn't sound quite as good... Im not sure what other details you guys might need to make a good suggestion for me, so just let me know.

-Tony

Welcome to the forum.

Are you cranking it in 5.1 mode, 2 channel mode, or 2.1 mode? What mode was your buddies set at?

On my old Yamaha (different & older model) cranking music in 5 channel mode and then 2 channel mode had entirely different results - similar to what you described.

Stick with 2.1 channel and play with the speaker size and sub settings - it sounds like your sub may not even be up to the task from your comments... A good sub will make a tremendous difference on the "impact" of the music. A crappy sub may not even be worth the hassle.

Good luck and have fun experimenting!

FWIW, I think your settings are probably correct. At -50-55, it shouldn't be THAT loud.

Ditto on that. I have a feeling room accoustics may be playing a large part in the difference you're hearing. I'm sure your settings are slightly different, but at 50-55 with the Yammie and Synergies it shouldn't be very loud. I don't consider it "screaming" until I get into the twenties either. Music in the lower twenties is just about all I can take.

well the rooms are a bit defferent, i am in a apt living rom and his is in an actual house and no i was not using a sound meter, just going off ear.. Since you guys have brought up so many things here is what ill do... II'll set my reciever to 4ohms, 2 channel steeo, sp amp level at the center, preset to a certain VOL level, and go by a sound meter and play a song?? should i use a test song of some sort?? how far away should i hold the sound meter? How much does a sound meter cost? I go home in one week where my buddy lives and ill do the same to his. Thanks for all the input guys and gals. Sorry it takes so long to respond but the marine corps has very demanding hours of me.

thanks,

Tony

well the rooms are a bit different, i am in a apt

living rom and his is in an actual house and no i was not using a sound

meter, just going off ear.. Since you guys have brought up so

many things here is what ill do... II'll set my receiver to 4ohms, 2

channel steeo, sp amp level at the center, preset to a certain VOL

level, and go by a sound meter and play a song?? should i use a

test song of some sort?? how far away should i hold the sound meter?

How much does a sound meter cost? I go home in one week where my

buddy lives and ill do the same to his. Thanks for all the input

guys and gals. Sorry it takes so long to respond but the marine

corps has very demanding hours of me.

thanks,

Tony

I think a better way would be to get a setup/test CD or LP and

use pink noise or test tones to get the same spl on a meter (under $50

at Rat Shack) at the listening position. If both listening positions

are at the same distance from the speakers, you will be comparing

apples to apples. Use the meter to get equal sound pressure then look

at the settings on the receivers. I would bet that they won't be the

same but will probably be somewhere close. Rooms make a lot of

difference and our memory for sound is NOWHERE near good enough for

comparing one to the other over the time span of DAYS!

Take as much time to sort this out as you need. Thanks for your service

to our country. I was proud to do my time in the Army '75-'78 and

though we served under different branches, we are brothers in arms!!