Buying HT anywhere but the internet. Why?

BigBusa

I know I'm being a post ***** but ...I'm a Klipsch newbie. Whadda ya expect! It's like having sex for the 1st time. Ya just can't stop talking about it!

Remember your first ...Klipsch experience? cwm35.gif

There is such a huge price difference between various internet HTcompanies and local places like Tweeter on HT components. Why would anyone buy a component locally for $100's more AND pay their states sales tax?

I went to Tweeter yesterday and saw the Denon 2802 for $799 & the 3802 for $1299. These two items can be had new on ebay for $480 and $870 respectively and no 8% sales tax.

------------------

?

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 10-13-2001 at 01:23 PM

One word - WARRANTY

Denon has a strong policy about offering warranty service for any product bought from anyone other then their authorized dealers. If you buy the receiver online from an un-authorized dealer, and the thing goes up in smoke.....you're **** out of luck. But, if you buy that same receiver from your local hi-fi store, and the same thing happens....you can return it and get a new one and also you get a full warranty.

A receiver is the one thing I would buy from a local dealer. When you are spending $2000 on a receiver.....it's worth spending a couple of hundred dollars more to have comfort of mind.

Good Luck

------------------

Klipsch Quartets - fronts

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KG 1.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KG .5's - rear side surrounds

SVS 16-46PC subwoofer (very soon)

Denon AVR-4800

Denon POA-5200 THX Amp (fronts)

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

Monster Cable M-series Speaker Cable and subwoofer cable

Monster Component, S-Video, and Optical cables

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Depends on what I'm buying. When I wanted a DVD player, I checked out the various manufacturers websites, read some reviews, checkout out the features I was looking for, selected the one I wanted (Toshiba SD3109, primarily for HDCD decoding chipset and associated digital filter), then bought it from the cheapest online place I could find. I don't even remember who I bought it from.

On the other hand, if I were looking for a new amp, I'd NEVER EVER EVER buy it online. I have several local dealers who work with folks like me. Last time I was looking for a new amp, I took home a Krell KAV300i, a Bryston B60 and a used Mcintosh integrated amp over the weekend to compare them. (Wound up not buying ANY of them... with my La Scalas, the lowest available volume setting on each one of them was waaaayyyy too loud...). Could never have done that without the support of the dealer. Yes, he was disappointed that I didn't select one of them, but I've bought so much other stuff there over the past twenty years that it's no big deal.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ears...

Uh, well, er, this is a little bit embarasing...

My wife fell in LOVE with the Krell KAV integrated amp.

Did she like the way the bass (what everyone else seems to feel is the Krell strong suit?) came across on our system? No, that's not it, see we have La Scalas and an REL sub, and the terms "La Scalas" and "bass" are something of an oxymoron, and REL is a self-powered sub, so the degree to which the amp affects the bass is minimised in our system.

Did she like the smooth, open, extended highs? No, on our system, the Krell was, if anything, a bit to laid back. The Bryston was the most extended, but sounded a bit "thin" on most material, in that the sound didn't have as much, uh, body ( Confused.gif ) with the Bryston as it did with the Mac. The Mac seemed to have the best high end of the three, or at least the Mac into the La Scalas with Al K's crossover was the best match.

The midrange of all three was different, but again we liked the Mac better than the other two, as voices, particularly male voices, just sounded more "real", or less "speaker-y", with the Mac that with the other two. Again, though, we're not talking a big enough difference to outweigh the one unique aspect of the Krell that elevated it above the others.

What was that aspect?

Uh, er, well, jeez, do I really have to say this... okay, I'll tell the truth... the Krell has this cool blue LED, ya see, when you turn it on, and she thought that blue LED was just the neatest thing she'd ever seen on a piece of audio gear... something about the particular shade of blue... she just went nuts over it... I pointed out that having blue LED's was hardly a reason to prefer one amp over another, but that thing really pushed some button emotionally with her...

If we hadn't had the problem with the gain being too high, even with the volume turned to its lowest setting, I'd probably have the Krell sitting in our rack, with the cool blue LED shining away...

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray - You're not alone. Both my wife and my daughter much preferred the cool blue "strobe-light-effect" (the light inside the carousel) of the Sony CD megachanger to the amber colored light of the Pioneer. I had to override their selection in favor of the Pioneer, though, 'cause I had a far superior technological reason for wanting the Pioneer -- it had these really cool rosewood panels and the side.

Must be something about cool blue lights and women...

DD2

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 10-15-2001 at 02:26 PM