Analog Dumb Question

joshnich

This is probably a dumb question but I ll ask it anyway. How long (many hours etc) does a typical stylus/cartridge last? In the old days (30 years ago) I would replace my cartidge pretty regularly and was always happy with the improved dynamics when i did so. I havent really thought to much about it but I am finding myself leaning more towards CDs which has never been the case. So I am wondering if my Stylus/Cartridge needs a refresh.

Josh

If you are maniacal about keeping everything really clean and you have the cartridge really dialed in correctly you can expect to get about 1000-1200 hours out of it before a retip in my experience. Of course, if you are just the least bit careless you might end up getting half that lifespan or even less.

Possibly a little pessimistic Allan - although it will vary from cartrdige to cartridge. I would expect a modern MC cartridge tracking between 1.5 and 2 grams to get something close to 2000 hours use.

Interestingly the new Clearaudio cartridges (Stradivarius, cant remember and Goldfinger) quote much higher numbers - I seem to remember 4000 hours for the Goldfinger - but then again for $12,000.....

You're probably right, Max. The last SPU that I sent abroad for a retip had about 1200 hours on it and the folks down under emailed me after inspecting it and said "you had quite a bit of life left on this one, you know." But since I was having it retipped with a conical stylus I didn't feel like I had jumped the gun.

I just get nervous as the stylus ages and since a retip is a fairly reasonable proposition I would rather err on the side of caution!

I keep a couple of "ready to roll" SPUs on the shelf at all times!! And I just ordered a BRAND NEW truly mono SPU a few weeks ago--still waiting for it to arrive.

How should one keep track of stylus use? Should I have a chart next to the turntable? Seriously, for guys that have a regular listening schedule, estimating would be a snap, but lately, I'm finding it difficult to listen to music at home at all, what with all the other family activity going on (and working full time). I know Max spends time in the same boat...

How about this suggestion? If you don't know it's bad, enjoy it!

The ostrich techniqe! It's been working for humankind for thousands of years!!

Seriously, fini has a good point. I know that I listen to records on average 2 hours per day during the week and about 3 hours per day on weekends--I'm pretty consistant about this so it's really easy to calculate how many hours on a particular stylus. Now, when I get the mono cartridge I will probably have to be more careful, as I will be switching back and forth--probably not "on the fly" but certainly a couple of times per week . . .

Fini,

You guestimate as best you can. Typically I listen to about 2 hours 5 times per week - so 10 hours per week - about 2 years before I need to start checking.

If you want to check you need a good magnifying glass - a microscope would be brilliant - but who has one of those to hand? Just check it is nice and pointy - a clean beforehand with cartridge cleaning liquid is not a bad idea - as long as you dont have a hollow cantilever. If you cant see anything pointy at the end of the cantilever then you are overdue for a change - if you cant see a cantilver you should not have bought a Blue Point Special!

(actually I recall there are some London cartridges that dont have cantilever's at all - but they should still have pointy bits).

Jeff,

That is what most people do - but it is hell on your record collection.

Guys I have Stanton cartridges that are probably from 70's. Instead of using them as small lathes on my precious vinyl, should I replace just the pointy bits, or the entire thing? I hear the 'elastomeric' bits inside the cartridge get aged, brittle, possibly crack.

I always like Stanton 681 EEE, is that a good enough unit by today's standards? It's going on a dinosaur Technics SL1700 which I love though there is a little rumble from DD motor.

Michael

How about this suggestion? If you don't know it's bad, enjoy it!

The ostrich techniqe! It's been working for humankind for thousands of years!!

LOL! But you gotta admit, there's truth to my point. I've been drinking Diet Coke all my life. How do I know it still tastes good?

It's WAY too early here in Hollywood and too close to Christmas as well to be starting any sort of thread about Zen philosophy!!

Guys I have Stanton cartridges that are probably from 70's. Instead of using them as small lathes on my precious vinyl, should I replace just the pointy bits, or the entire thing? I hear the 'elastomeric' bits inside the cartridge get aged, brittle, possibly crack.

I always like Stanton 681 EEE, is that a good enough unit by today's standards? It's going on a dinosaur Technics SL1700 which I love though there is a little rumble from DD motor.

Michael

Mental note - never buy used vinyl from Michael!

OK - they are as old as the hills so whatever suspension they did have is now history - and you have rumble from the motor so they banging into the side walls of the groove with every revolution.

Right now it probably would work better as a cutter than a listening tool.

I would say, therefore - get a new one - if you like the Stanton sound - stick with them - I do not think they are very expensive - and they seem to last....

This is probably a dumb question but I ll ask it anyway. How long (many hours etc) does a typical stylus/cartridge last? In the old days (30 years ago) I would replace my cartidge pretty regularly and was always happy with the improved dynamics when i did so. I havent really thought to much about it but I am finding myself leaning more towards CDs which has never been the case. So I am wondering if my Stylus/Cartridge needs a refresh. Josh

Josh,

I'd say its time for a new cartridge! I went through this with my cartridge not long ago vinyl just sounded dull and uninvolving. I installed a new Benz and all was well again. Moved my old cartridge to another table and the dull drums returned in that system. I then replaced this old cartridge with a $78 Shure and that system sounded much better. Pretty obvious my $400 Goldring was wore out.

Craig

It appears that the cartridge or the stylus (or both) was the culprit. I happened to have another Sonata new in the box and replaced the old one and the vinyl magic was back. I quesss i have had the original one about 3 and 1/2 years. Pretty regular play - 3-4 hours on the weekends and maybe an average of an hour or two other nights.

josh