Full throttle on my power amps

arfandbark

I've been running my PS 400s as monoblocks to my Cornwalls for months now @ 2/3rd's volume ampwise.

Is there a reason I should not run my power amps wide open all the time?

I like the reliability of my old Crowns.

If this is detrimental to thier health I'd appreciate someone telling me so...

Otherwise I'm gonna give it a try.

Hi, not being familiar with those amps, but judging by the model number, I'll assume they're 400 watts, and at 2/3's, it may be providing a margin of safety in the event that someone not in the know, get's their greezy mitts on the main volume control.

You're not planning on making use of that last 1/3rd..... are ya? [:o]

As Duke said, they'll still make full power if the preamp can supply the necessary signal level. It's a fairly common misconception that power amps should be dimed all the time.

One wonders why this approach with Corns, but I've been down that bloody road before, and don't really wish to do so again....

I think I have my answer. Thanks guys.

If I don't ask questions, I'm on my own knowledgewise.

I'm sorry I wasn't more explicit when I first typed this question in...

My point was, will running the amps "full throttle" enhance the sound moreso than using them @ 2/3rds power as I have been.

Not because of the volume. Sound quality.

Takes some work away from the pre amp. Seeings I'm preamp weak, this is a good thing.

The PS 400s are indeed 660 watts bridged, that doesn't mean I'm using all that.....

Nothing like having headspace, however.

If I start bothering Mr. Crites for K-33s you guys will be the first to know.

Thanks again!

well for quality purposes you might try unbridging your amps to get them working in a more linear range.....the physics behind bridging severely hurt the sound quality at lower power levels and no amount of upstream attenuation is going to change that for a given SPL. Keep in mind that you're pushing only 1 watt when it's about 100dB...when bridged that's only 1/2 watt through each channel. Or at 90dB that's 0.03watts per amp channel....and twice the noise floor and twice the distortion as running them unbridged.

If your preamp is weak, then "fix" the problem with the preamp...putting all the gain of your system into the amplifier is not a recommended approach.