quintet satellites w/ non-quintet frt ctr

mcuevas

I have just recently purchased 4 quintet satellites online thinking it would be cheaper to piece them together. However, now I'm thinking I won't be able to match the quintet frt ctr with the whole system. I am quite a novice at home audio, however I did listen to the system versus your basic "best buy" systems and I couldn't believe the difference in quality with the quintet system. A friend also referred me to Klipsch and to say the least, I was overwhelmed. Anyway, enough of the fluff, If I matched an RC3 frt ctr with the quintet satellites will the overall system suffer? be better? or will it even work? I have been surfing different sites for the speakers and I believe I am finding good deals. Can anyone recommend any legit sites (carry warranty)? Please help, confused novice.cwm33.gif

OK. I read a post on 8/21 on center quintet. Apparently they are difficult to get. I'll try ubid.com, however if I won't be able to get that ctr will the KSC-C1 suffice? I am also planning to get the KSW-12 vs the KSW-10. Again I am quite leary of certain websites out there. I've seen some good deals on federalstereo.com. Any input on this site?cwm31.gif

Can't speak to your choice of vendors, but I would suggest you not get the RC-3 center -- it will be a total mismatch for the Quintet fronts. You want the front to be as seamless as possible. (Actually, I wonder how a single Quintet would sound as a center channel -- they are inexpensive enough you could buy a 3rd pair and use one for the center and keep one for a spare. Anyone know how that would work?) All that aside, the next best matching center to the Quintets would be the SC-.5, then SC-1.

DD2

Dougdrake is right,the RC-3 is way too much for the Quintets.And they are not timbre matched to the Quintets.

I tried the Quintet sat as a center speaker and it works quite well thank you.If you dont have a huge room to fill then its A ok.The advantage with the center is its has two 3.5" mid-bass drivers.The voices sound less compressed(not by much).

Another alternative is to get the SC-.5 center channel speaker.This center will match quite well with the Quintets.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I bought 5 sats back in April, so I've used a sat for the center for about 5 months now. Because I haven't heard the center before I had nothing to compare it to, so I thought it sounded good. Because all the speakers matched, there was a perfect timbre match.

Two weeks ago, I managed to get a center speaker off ebay. I compared it to a sat for the center channel. The center sounds more open and clearer than a sat, but the timbre match is still there. While the center speaker sounds best, a sat will work just fine.

You can do what dougdrake says and buy a 3rd pair for cheap and use a sat for the center. And if you really wanted to, instead of keeping the extra speaker as a spare, use it as a rear center speaker. However if you want an actual center speaker, keep an eye out for the quintet on ebay. If you're too impatient for that, you can always use a SC-.5 or a KSC-C1.

------------------

-Paul

AMD T-Bird 900

Asus A7V

Micron 256 MB PC-133

IBM 30 GB 7200 rpm ATA 100

Pioneer DVD-105 Slot-Load (16X/40X)

3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

NEC MultiSync M700 17" (soon to be Sony F520 21")

SB Live! X-Gamer 5.1

Receiver: Kenwood VR-409 (soon to be Marantz SR7200)

Speakers: Klipsch Quintets (5 sats + center)

Sub: Sony SA-W305 (soon to be Carver Knight Shadow or Paradigm PW-2200)

This message has been edited by oogins on 10-15-2001 at 12:54 AM

• 3 weeks later...

I'm following the same path. I was going to upgrade from ProMedia 4.1 to 5.1, but instead opted to bid on 4 quintets which are on the way, I hope, from Ubid. I'm presently shopping for a center and woofer. I also need a receiver, or something of the like, to complete the link between computer and speakers. Any advice? Let me know how that center sounds, as it seems to be the one that's easiest to get. Thanks.

IWILL KK266R

AMD Athlon 1200

1024MB PC133 SDRAM

Soundblaster Live! 5.1 Platinum

All-in-Wonder Radeon 32MB

PlexWriter 16/10/40

Pioneer DVD-116

Klipsch ProMedia 4.1