CF-4 Version 1 Have arrived!!!

marems

I recently found some CF-4's locally, I called on them and went and took a listen. Turns out that they are version 1's!!! They have the 5" ports in them... I really liked what I heard, they where really smooth sounding! I have to pick them up yet so I can't wait to hear them on my system. Also he has a pair of older Tara Labs Prime bi wire speaker cables as well does anyone know what these might be worth?

"Well" I picked these monsters up 2 days ago, and I must say, these are the best speakers I have ever heard!!! The imaging, sound stage,balance,and fidelity are top notch! The bass and depth these things dish out are mind blowing! Totally different than my legend's, I can crank it up and they don't break up or get harsh one bit! I have found my last speaker for quite some time!

Hey Marems,

Did you happen to get the pair that was on A-gon in Northern California? If so, I will be bummed! He lives about hour away from me. He did tell me the ports were only 2.5" deep so I doubt if they are the same. I was just curious. Congrats on the score! I have always wanted to hear a pair of version 1's but never had the chance.

Enjoy the music and Happy New Year!

Mark

Dylanl, I have never heard the K horn so I couldn't compare the two, The local Klipsch dealer doesn't stock the Heritage line.. Bonzo, I found these here in Omaha, which was really fortunate. You should go and check out the CF-4's there in Cali, Looking at the serial numbers posted on the Audiogon site it looks like they are version 3's

Hey, what's up with the different versions of Epics? I have CF-3's. I have read on here once before about the port length and different versions. Seemed like everybody said the version 1's were better. I measured my ports just for s**ts and giggles and they're 5". I'd like to hear more of whatever anybody knows about the different versions and epics in general.

Thanks!

post-19752-13819278791572_thumb.jpg

Hey, what's up with the different versions of Epics? I have CF-3's. I have read on here once before about the port length and different versions. Seemed like everybody said the version 1's were better. I measured my ports just for s**ts and giggles and they're 5". I'd like to hear more of whatever anybody knows about the different versions and epics in general.

Thanks!

Thanks for posting a pic, it's cool to see one of my old speakers[:(]

Hillbilly, From what I have gathered about the Epics, I found that the version 1's have a denser cone made of polypropylene Vs. the Lighter Polycarbon from the version 3' and the version 1's have a lower tune to them as well as a better crossover set-up. When the Epic where first released The Klipsch dealers bitched that they didn't have the traditional slam factor that Klipsch was famious for in the previous lines There for the Head engineer was forced to redesign his masterpiece and he raised the tuning by giving a 2.5" port length and redid the x-over to give more efficiency and sizzle, but still some short time later he had to do another reversion and then came the polycarbon woofers which is when the mid sweetness was lost. The version 3 woofs are the same as the Legend series but W/out the Neo mags. I must say that I'm gald to see the neo mags come back in the new RF's for better control... You can find out what version your epics are by the first 4 numbers on the serial numbers, the first 3 numbers represent the day of the year they where made on and the 4th is the year. And thats pretty much it in a nut shell, if any one has any thing to add please do so. "LOVIN The EPICS"

Thanks! I have 2344 on mine. So 94 they have to be version 1's. They don't really slam, I think that's true. They do ,however, have some of the smoothest midrange I've ever heard. When I first got them and was cranking up all kinds of music, I would get ready to cringe at places in music where I knew the midrange would be harsh, then it wasn't. Best way I can describe it. I have to drive 'em really hard to get the midrange harsh but by that time I think it's more the amp than the speakers. So they don't "slam". That's why I've got a subwoofer. I can't see wanting any different speakers for a long time. All I want now (when the money gets better....) is a full epic system. [:D]

Hey billy, your old speaker is really happy in it's new home!! It's with old friends.