Pixelated Image on Plasma

geoffryprettyboy

Happy New Year World!

With my recently acquired 50" Fujitsu Plasma, I have had an irritating image problem while watching fast moving sport. The image seems to look pixelated at very quick instances while there is fast moving action.

I have a Strong SRT 5006 set top box (not HD) hooked onto the plasma, with my a/v receiver. The installers have given me all the latest cables to complement so I can get the best picture. I have called them back telling them that I have this little problem, and they tell me the only way to rectify this slight but irritable image problem is to upgrade to a HD set top box.

Is this correct what they suggested or is there another fix to this problem?

Hope you bought an extended warranty , if you did , return the sucker ...

That might be a last resort.

I'm sure the speed of the plasma isn't a problem; it would have been caught early in reviews.

I would try the HD box upgrade and see how that works. Also, have you tried a progressive scan DVD playing similar type DVDs? If the same problem exists, then you have a display problem. If not, then it is a box problem.

Let us know how it works for you!

Chris

If there is no upscaling going on or if bad upscaling is going on you will have this type of problem when viewing some standard definition broadcasts. If you are using satelite for local channels you will invariably have this issue due to the heavy compression of the local channels. There is little to suggest from you message that it is actually the monitor.

Do you have the capability to upscale anywhere in the chain? making the delivery to monitor as either 720p or 1080i should have some positive effect.

Standard def (especially sports and other fast moving scenes) is usually going to look like poo on a large display. Football games for me are almost painful to watch. OTOH, upgrading to HiDef you will reap the benefits of your monitor's potential. Football games for me in HiDef are out of this world -- a pleasure to behold. Some of my HiDef channels still show some bandwidth/compression artifacts (macroblocking, pixelation) but very infreqently and not on all channels.

I always see the compression from HD during fast motion sports. I've watched amny sets at many stores and the reason you see the pixels is because they have to compress the signal to broadcast it. It's like watching compressed videos on your computer. It'll improve when there's more bandwidth. I have an HD tv but I don't get any programming. I'm waiting for HD-DVD. That should be cool. No compression..

I always see the compression from HD during fast motion sports. I've watched amny sets at many stores and the reason you see the pixels is because they have to compress the signal to broadcast it. It's like watching compressed videos on your computer. It'll improve when there's more bandwidth. I have an HD tv but I don't get any programming. I'm waiting for HD-DVD. That should be cool. No compression..

HD-DVD will arrive on the market Late FEb and Early March 2006.

http://www.digital-digest.com/highdefdvd/faq.html#faq402

Have ya bought a HD-DVD -player yet? I have and am waiting, also, for the release of HD-DVD's !!!

Hillbilly, please let me know when ya buy your first HD-DVD.

EDIT; Correction...SCOOTER corrected me and informed me that my HD player is not a HD-DVD player...it is an Hi-Definition UPscaler DVD Player. It still looks good.

Na man, no HD-DVD player yet. No hd-dvd's. I'm salivating at the idea of one. I won't get one, I'm sure, until closer to the end of the year so I know there's some content out there. Also want to see what happens between blu-ray and hd-dvd. What if one format dominates early? Don't want to be stuck with the losing one.

When I get my hands on hd-dvd i'm sure many of the members will already have one but I'll darn sure post when I do!!

Thank you to all who replied.

I will be upgrading from a standard to a HD set top box in the next several days. I got a little pissed off with the store that sold me my package, and said to them that they should off mentioned to me, from the start, that I would encounter this problem.

Let's hope that it rectifies the issue.