Steelers make the playoffs and Dick Vermeil's last game

ranjith

Steelers have made the postseason! YES! *pumps fist*

Great game from the Chiefs though, sucks that they don't get to go any further. Amazing performance from Larry Johnson, if only he would've started for the chiefs from the start of the season he would've by far had better stats than any other RB. Oh well, next year.

Dick Vermeil's last game, glad it was on a winning note.. that too a 37-3 whooping of the Bengals. The NFL will miss a coach like Vermeil.

Miami beats New England? Who saw that coming?

GB beats Seattle - but not that it really matters..Seahawks were resting Hasselbeck anyway.

If Washington doesn't win the Cowboys go through, interesting game between Skins and Eagles in progress

lets hear everybodys thought!

The NFL will miss Dick Vermeil....one of my favorite NFL coaches. He is 69 years old, so I can understand him retiring, but the NFL needs guys like him in the league. Not just a great coach, but a good human being, too.

New England was basically playing a tune up game, so I wouldn't put much stock in that result. Same with the Bears - Lovie had about half of the backups in by the second quarter, and is using this game as a "playoff preseason" game of sorts.

I'll be curious to see what Farve does. Kind of bittersweet listening to those fans chant "one more year". I've got a feeling he's done. It's been a really tough year or so for Farve personally - Katrina, the passing of his father, and a rough season....maybe he will come back - there has to be a better way to end his career than this year. I wouldn't bet on another season, though.

Can't wait for the playoffs - we should have a full schedule in a few hours.

It was a fine send off for the Bus with his 3 touchdowns today. He's been a tremendous player for Pittsburgh over the years. His next stop is the Hall Of Fame.[:)]

Farve said if their head coach (his name escapes me at the moment) got fired, he would retire. Today Jay Glazer claimed he was going to get fired so we'll see if he knows what he's talking about.

Dick Vermeil was a pretty good analyst once, I wonder if he has plans to return to that or if he's going to quit working completely?

I'd like to see the Eagles win, I don't like the Skins.

Go Steelers![:D]

"New England was basically playing a tune up game, so I wouldn't put much stock in that result."

Yup, many of the starters weren't playing and they had their third

string quarterback in for the second half. NE treated it more like a

pre-season game.

The extra point drop kick from Flutie was fun to see. Even still it was a two point game.....

Shawn

Yeah Favre will be missed (minus the memories of this season) ... he was one of the best NFL has seen. Hes definitely very exciting to watch. I personally think its over for him as well, but a bad way to end such a fairy tale career.

NOW! Jerome Bettis... my fave NFL player of all time retires... *wipes away a dry tear* He will be dearly missed. What a great RB and what a great human. GREAT way to end his career with a 3 TD game. Its time to get a Bettis jersey and get it framed for my room.

The Bus was drafted by the Rams, I think. At least, I remember him playing for them when they first came to St. Louis in '95...wish we'd kept him!

Speaking of the Rams (as I always do!), I just saw on the NFL network that Mike Martz has been canned by the brain trust in the Ram's front office. Five years, one NFC championship and two NFC west titles -- that's gratitude, NFL style.[:(]

Only after I read jdm56's post about Mike Martz I checked NFL's website. They just fired a guy whos taken to the post-season four times and the superbowl once because hes been sidelined with a heart ailment most of the season..wow

Mike Sherman is fired... well after a season like the Packers its understandable why. Worst season for the Packers in 15years, ouch. Mike Tice is fired as well, in his case I thought the owner could have had some respect to declare it in a press conference today as opposed to within the hour after the win.

Only after I read jdm56's post about Mike Martz I checked NFL's website. They just fired a guy whos taken to the post-season four times and the superbowl once because hes been sidelined with a heart ailment most of the season..wow

I'm sure it was more than that. As I understand it there was a lot of tension between Martz and the upper office. Too bad for the Rams, in my opinion, he was a great coach. Not sure if it was directly his fault that the defense this year was week.

Mike Martz is one of the most overrated HEAD coaches in the NFL. I think Martz is a good coordinator/play designer, but no way should he be a head coach, nor should he be the final play caller for the offense.

Witness exhibit A: Super Bowl XXXVI (Rams vs. Pats). This game was a classic example of Martz's play calling losing a ball game for the Rams. A BIG ball game. When you have possession of the world's best football player at the time (Marshall Faulk), and he doesn't get 50% of the touches, there's a HUGE problem. Martz PASSES first, when you should be running and use short passes TO Faulk to control the clock - and the ball game. When the Rams got down, they went pass happy, and allowed those stellar DL's of the Pats to beat on Warner. Vermeil would have never deviated from the gameplan (and in fact, Martz and Vermeil fought quite a bit because Vermeil overruled Martz on many occasions re: play calls when they were together). This created more problems for Warner's injured hand - and put too much pressure on the defense from too many three-and-outs.

I wrote Martz off after that game.