How to complete 6.1 system with KLF-30 & C-6???

Wild Blue

Hmmm... hoping you all can help. Right now I've got a Yamaha 2095 receiver, Klipsch KLF-30 mains, C-6 center, S-6 surrounds, KSW-15 subwoofer, and I think 1.1's for the Yamaha "Front Effect" speakers. I love the system, and think it is very high powered and overall very well matched as a system. Here's my question: When I go to a 6.1 or 7.1 system in the future with rear surrounds, what do I get for rear speakers? The obvious answer to me seems to be another pair of the S-6, but Klipsch doesn't make them anymore! cwm36.gif

Does anybody know of a source where I could buy a pair of S-6's? Preferably new, but if not, used?

This message has been edited by Wild Blue on 10-14-2001 at 05:16 PM

wb, u may want to consider direct speaks for the rear surround, like 1 or 2 c6, c7 or klf 30s, 20s, or 10s.

i use a single C7 for the rear surround between the

side/surround cornwalls. sounds sweet on both music & HT.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

Klipsch KLF C7 (center)

Klipsch Cornwall I (rear)

Klipsch KLF C7 (rear center)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

B&K Reference 30 preamp/processor

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Marantz MA6100 mono amp (rear center)

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HT200 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

Monster HTS1000 powercenter

Bedroom:

Sony STR-DE935 receiver

Technics cube speakers

rock on!

Yeah, I've thought about using another C-7 back there, since I could probably find a C-7 easier. (Does Klipsch still sell those?) But I have two thoughts against that:

1. While the S-6 is matched the best I've found to the C-7 and KLF-30's, it's not exact. It comes nowhere close to the C-7 matching the KLF-30's. As it is, as sound "spins" around the room, it moves exactly from the front left to the center to the front right, but when it goes into the S-6's around the back, it does change quality a bit. I'd be concerned in these "spin" situations to have the sound change BACK to the front sound quality while it goes behind me into the C-7, then back AGAIN when it moves from the back C-7 to one of the side surround S-6's.

2. Isn't the whole point of surrounds (at least in the Klipsch theory) to use the Wide Dispersion Sound Technology of shooting the sound AROUND you and not at you? It seems you'd be defeating this with a C-7 behind the listener that is much more localized in sound. Yes, you could angle it up or down so it's pointing at the ceiling or floor, but then that's where the sound is coming from, not behind you like the 6.1/7.1 is designed.

Thoughts?

Hey WB,

How about moving S6s to the rear effects and picking up another pair of 30s for the surrounds? I use all direct radiating speakers. 30s for mains and surrounds, C7 for center and KG 3.5s for the rear effects. My main reason for chosing direct radiating is two fold. First, I bought a pair of S6s, tried them for a short time and then sold them. Secondly, Iif you go to a theatre, they use direct radiating speakers there as well, as recommended by Dolby Labs (though they do mention di-poles and bi-poles as well. There are a few other disciples of the direct radiating surrounds on this site. Maybe they will jump into this discussion also. I guess it all boils down to what sounds best to you anyway. Also the new RF surrounds are suppose to be an even better match than the S6s for the Legends. Get a pair of those for surrounds and move the S6s to the rears. Good luck, if you have any further questions, let me know.

------------------

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-30 side surrounds

KG 3.5 rear surrounds

KSW200 subwoofer

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV-09

Pioneer Elite PD-F19

RCA DTC100 DSS/HDTV

Sony Playstation 2

Denon MD1000

Vidikron Epoch D-600

Vutec 100" 4:3 1.5 gain

Colabear: Hmmmm... tell me more. This is the first I've heard that the RF surrounds would "match better" to the Legend speakers than the S-6s. Have you found this to be true yourself? Looking at them on the website here, they look more like the old SS-6, (or was it the SS-1?) which did not match the Legend speakers at ALL are were too wimpy.

I noticed you're using KG 3.5 rear surrounds. Do THOSE blend the sound with the Legends at all? I would imagine not.

I think BobG will back me up here. The S6s were never really designed to match up with the legends. They were just the closest you could come by, so many folks started using them. I am looking to replace my KG3.5s soon, I used them because they were gathering dust in my closet. I wll probably go with 20s or 30s here soon, but had to move some money around so I have to wait.

------------------

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-30 side surrounds

KG 3.5 rear surrounds

KSW200 subwoofer

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV-09

Pioneer Elite PD-F19

RCA DTC100 DSS/HDTV

Sony Playstation 2

Denon MD1000

Vidikron Epoch D-600

Vutec 100" 4:3 1.5 gain

i'd use a c-6 or c-7 for the center rear. i'm LOVIN' my ksps-6's for surrounds-they kick a**! i'm playing 6.1 encoded material in 'virtual matrix 6.1' which simulates a center rear. the s-6's do a great job (vm6.1 is VERY demanding on the rears, and the other speakers as well.) so if you are using an ACTUAL center rear, i'd use a really good one! avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

I agree with avman.

I have S-6s for side surrounds and (for the time) S-5s for the rear center. I like the S-6s very much.

One suggestion I might have is to get a C-7 for the front center and move the C-6 to the rear center which I believe would match the S-6s better than the C-7.

Theaters use direct radiating speakers for surrounds but they use multiple speakers. This effect is somewhat duplicated by WDST speakers. The rear center is a matrix off the sides so it does not have to be a WDST speaker.

Some people do like direct radiating surround speakers for movies and that is great. It depends only on your personal taste. Direct radiating surround speakers are better in my opinion for 5.1 music.

aab

hey a/v man when you gonna give me a demo of MY receiver on those ksp-s6's anyway? Back to Wild Blue-- I would try to find a pair of 6's for the side surround field in 7.1 or use a single one for the center rear in 6.1. I've heard center channels being used for rear centers but they don't give you the dispertion you need from surround speakers. Try audiogon.com for some of the best deals and great connections to find some s-6's. Every time I've used them I've been happy.

Get a KLF-C7 for center - it's WAY different and better than the C-6 for use with the KLF-30 mains.

The C-7 is no longer in production, but many are available in stores as we stopped making it recently.

RS-7's have excellent bass and dynamics and make a very acceptable match as rears for a Legend system. I do prefer them to the KSP-S6 surrounds which were built to match just one speaker, the KSP-400. We offered the KSP-S6 as our best available match for Legend models, but it was not designed as a matched combination.

In my opinion, rear center speakers help to anchor sound in the rear field when di-pole side surrounds are used. The Klispch WDST design still benefits by use of a rear center, but does not need it as much as di-pole (or bi-pole) surrounds do. In any case, IMO a focused dispersion speaker works better for rear center than does a WDST. I like using another center speaker for the purpose. You can install it vertically if you rotate the horn 90 degrees to preserve the 90 wide by 60 high dispersion pattern.

RS-7's are available in black or white.

All: Whoops, my mistake. Yes, I DO have a C-7 for the front center speaker channel, NOT a C-6. The C-7 matches the KLF-30 mains perfectly.

Klipschog: Thanks for the audiogon website. I'll keep checking there.

BobG: That suprises me that you actually suggest a center channel speaker to use as rear surrounds on 6.1/7.1, knowing your advocacy for WDST speakers for movies. Are you saying then, that you would actually recommend that I get 2 sets of RS-7's for side and rear surrounds with the KLF-30s and C-7? I'd be willing to do that, and sell my S-6's, if you really do think they match better. Would there be any downside or tradeoffs to doing this?