Center Channel and Sub

Robert Dilliplane

Hello Everyone

I have a Yamaha RX-V1500, a Sony RDR-GX300, a pair of RF-5's and a pair of SF-1's. I still need a center channel and a sub to make a 5.1 system. I would use the RF-5's as my main left and right speakers and the SF-1's as my rear speakers.

1. Will the RF-5's and the SF-1's work well together?

2. Any recommendations for the center and the sub? (Nothing outrageous, please. I am on a somewhat limited budget.)

3. Can I get away from buying a sub and still use the 5.1 system?

Please advise...

Thanks!!

Robert

Try and find a good deal on the recently discontinued RC-7 center. That would be your best matched center channel and it is awesome.

There are several routes to go on the sub and I am a fan of the RSW-15, but I feel there are cheaper alternatives.

As for your SF-1's? I think they would suffice as surrounds, but I would be on the look out for used or discounted upper end reference.

IMO, you can get by without a sub, but not after you have owned one [;)].

While I have the Yamaha RX-V1500 for 1 year already, I still haven't utilized its home theater abilities. (So please excuse my lack of understanding at this point.) I have been using 2-channel stereo with the RF-5's when I watch a DVD. The SF-1's I have packed up right now.

If I get a center channel speaker but don't get a sub right away, will the receiver still divide out the sound through the other 5 speakers that I have? Out of which speakers would the base come?

Robert

While I have the Yamaha RX-V1500 for 1 year already, I still haven't utilized its home theater abilities. (So please excuse my lack of understanding at this point.) I have been using 2-channel stereo with the RF-5's when I watch a DVD. The SF-1's I have packed up right now.

If I get a center channel speaker but don't get a sub right away, will the receiver still divide out the sound through the other 5 speakers that I have? Out of which speakers would the base come?

Robert

In the set up menu you should have something that asks you if you have a subwoofer. If you answer no, your AVR will do the rest.