Where do you buy CDs/Vinyl/SACDs?

joshnich

Allan,

Holy Smokes Sensei! Do you know the buyer? You've mentioned before that there's only a handful of Blue Note fanatics like yourself that drive these crazy prices. I'm guessing, that to my tin ears, my $30 Classic Records 200 gram re-issue would sound as good or better. But, once again, that's my taste. Which isn't saying much.

I'm gonna spin this one as soon as I get home. Haven't heard it in awhile, been on a Ben Webster kick this week.

Chris

I don't know who the buyer is, but he paid TOP DOLLAR and then some. If the record were truly MINT, then the price was OK, but the labels were far from perfect and when you get into the stratosphere of record collecting something like this is worth a a difference of a few hundred bucks--I would say that he "overpaid" by about a thousand to fifteen-hundred dollars, but since this was the only "first pressing" of BN1588 to come up on ebay in over a year, I guess the buyer just went for it and got the record at any price. A deep groove "New York USA" pressing went for $600 last summer. And there were a couple of MONO LIbertys that showed up this year that sold in the $50 range which is a STEAL by comparison--I have one of these too and it sounds GREAT--if you are looking for the best bang for the buck, the early LIberty mono pressing of 1588 is the way to go, but you really have to be patient as you only see one or two a year on ebay (the Stereo Liberty is common and sells for about $25 in NM shape but isn't worth owning--the Classic mono KICKS *** over any Stereo pressing).

I have the Classic mono reissue and a really clean VG++ original. The Classic is the best reissue ever, but like a lot of reissues, there is a "audiophile" boost in the lowest and highest registers--sublte to be sure but THERE. The original pressing sounds better to my ears--more lifelike and "alive", but then thats what I have been listening to for the past 15-16 or so years since I got my copy for $200 from Jack Brown--which was a BOATLOAD of cash back in the late 80's for a Blue Note!

Unless you are a serious COLLECTOR, there's really no reason to seek out these super-rare megabuck originals--the Classics are GREAT.