cornwall bass driver

mam

i have a pair of cornwalls about 15 yrs old. the bass quality on one speaker appears weak. can i measure accross the leads of the bass driver with an ohm meter and check for 8 ohms or does it need to be under load (music playing)? is there any thing else that would cause this problem in the speaker such as crossover?

15 years ago the Cornwall still had screw terminals on the back.The entire speaker is wired with lampwire.I would recommend you cut off all the spade terminals that hook on to the crossover network.Strip them back 1/2" and tin.Bend this into a hook and then screw back onto the crossover.The problem is most likely in the ring terminals on the inside back of the speaker.Remove the two screws going through the back panel.Go to a hardware store and buy the same screw in brass.Scuff the head of the brass screw with a file.Tin it with solder.Do not tin the threads.Screw the tinned brass screw through the back panel into the input terminal.Cut off the ring terminals from the wire that goes from the back to the crossover network.Strip and tin it.Solder it to the heads of the brass screws.The impedance of a Cornwall is over 50 ohms in the midrange and most of the high end.A couple of ohms resistance from an oxidized screw and ring terminal will not be noticed here.The DCR of the woofer is around 3.5 ohms, a couple of ohms in series with this will cause a severe loss of bass.There is one other thing that could cause a loss of bass but this fix must be tried first.On an inflamatory note(putting out fire with gasoline): when you re-wire one of these speakers with 'monster' type cable 95% of the improvement in sound is due to the elimination of these bad connections.