Home Theater 90% Complete

SCOOTERDOG

Scooter-puppy,

Yes, I am a lurker on your thread and have read/viewed with great interest but haven't replied (time issues, usually).

I am impressed and a little intimidated by what you have done. I've watched Tom's progress on-line too and plan on getting over to his home one of these weekends for a listen.

Hits on your thread are a good indicator of endorsements! You're getting virtual pats on the back with those, for sure. I'm about to re-do the kitchen/family room complex in the coming weeks and, while it will be a different room from yours function-wise, I hope the visuals work in a similar way to yours.

Your work has, and will continue to be, an inspiration for the rest of us who are in the planning/hoping stages!

Chris

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased RB75s and RC7 up front. Then I bought RSX5s for the rear. The rears are temporary until I figure out exactly what I want back there. Once I figure it out, I will move the RSX5 to my office. I am looking at adding a sub very soon. My buddy is opening a TheatrExtreme franchise in Boise next month with all Klipsch gear. Finally have a place to listen and compare.

I have a photography gig, specializing in school and sports photography. We do all the photography needs for some of the schools in Twin. I was in Twin this morning working with Bickel and Harrison Elementary.

Again, great job on your room.

Chris,

Thank you for the kind words. I was inspired by others and I hope my

work will continue to add to the insperations for those that choose to

persue their own personal cinema. One of my biggest joy's in all of

this was being able to share it with all of my forum friends.

scooter

Formica & scooterdog, if you guys are looking at some lighting down the road, I can't say enough about the people at smarthome, I called them a couple of times and there techs were great, even when I had no clue what I was talking about they were able to put me on the right track. They are first class all the way!! They have good prices too, always seem to have different specials. I cannot reccomend any switches as there are a bunch of them and they have different ones to suit different applications, but I can recommend the IR x-10 command console 4040 as it works really well. (the switch I bought supports scenes but is a stand alone switch and not meant to be used with any other x-10 switches)

Guys,

FWIW, I bought my decora style X-10 dimmer switches and IR controller from HomeautomationNet.com. Small operation, but MUCH cheaper than Smarthome. The guy running it answers his own phone and was very helpful with technical questions.

Hope this helps.

LOL... Thanks for the compliment!

Yeah that little 3802 is a great machine. Now just find yourself a big

bad mama of an amp for your mains [;)] and let the 3802 be your

processor and amplification for your surrounds and center. Or better

yet... you could go out and... Na your doin just fine.

The madness begins in this young one

scooter

I bought my decora style X-10 dimmer switches and

IR controller from HomeautomationNet.com. Small operation, but

MUCH cheaper than Smarthome.

¸

You are the second person to mention them... and the prices do seem

quite competitive. Unfortunately for me, Smarthome offers Canada

friendly shipping with borderfree...

ROb

Congrats on your project Scooterdog. I have a question about center channels. I see that you have made one and that is very ingenious. I have taller Klipsch speakers that I would like to use as a center, but when I eventually have a screen it would probably extend below the top of the speaker blocking it. I would need a perforated screen or use something else. I have a KLF-C7 but I think that it would be undersized and read that it is best to use the same size speakers all around. In your experience is a smaller size center satisfactory in your system? I wondered what you might recommend. Thank you.

I Kaptain,

My old center was no match for my La Scala's although it did try. At

the time there were no centers that were made that would match well,

other than adding another La Scala which was not gonna happen. I

decided to mix the best drivers from klipsch and come up with a

horizontal center that would do justice to my La Scala's. I gathered

parts from 3 klipsch lines to see how it would work. A K77 tweet from

the heritage line, A K52 midrange from a KLF30 and 2 KV1089 woofs from

an RF7. Bought all the crosover parts from parts express and based it

losely on the crossover of a KLF30. The end result after 6 weekends of

work paid off. The center is wonderful sounding, timbre mathes well

with the La Scala's and produce fast good low bass. Cost to build just

under 500.00 and well worth it.

I have thought about going with a perfed screen just haven't pulled the

trigger on one. Once I finish my room I plan on experimenting with some

celtic cloth as I here it is being used over the more tradisional perf

screens. In the meantime since my stage os 11"h and the center is about

14"h this puts the tweet at 21" h and the center is angled up. In all

honesty because of the design of the stage and how the center is placed

you would be hard pressed to think the dialog was below the screen.

Now that I have said all that your KLF-C7 is a very good match for what

you have and at this point I don't think I would change it unless you

plan on going into the Heritage line,

scooter

I Kaptain,

My old center was no match for my La Scala's although it did try. At the time there were no centers that were made that would match well, other than adding another La Scala which was not gonna happen. I decided to mix the best drivers from klipsch and come up with a horizontal center that would do justice to my La Scala's. I gathered parts from 3 klipsch lines to see how it would work. A K77 tweet from the heritage line, A K52 midrange from a KLF30 and 2 KV1089 woofs from an RF7. Bought all the crosover parts from parts express and based it losely on the crossover of a KLF30. The end result after 6 weekends of work paid off. The center is wonderful sounding, timbre mathes well with the La Scala's and produce fast good low bass. Cost to build just under 500.00 and well worth it.

I have thought about going with a perfed screen just haven't pulled the trigger on one. Once I finish my room I plan on experimenting with some celtic cloth as I here it is being used over the more tradisional perf screens. In the meantime since my stage os 11"h and the center is about 14"h this puts the tweet at 21" h and the center is angled up. In all honesty because of the design of the stage and how the center is placed you would be hard pressed to think the dialog was below the screen.

Now that I have said all that your KLF-C7 is a very good match for what you have and at this point I don't think I would change it unless you plan on going into the Heritage line,

scooter

I'm glad you think the C7 may be enough but if not I could use a matching large speaker with the perf screen or other material like you had mentioned. What is celtic cloth? I am looking at alternatives too because the perf. screens are very expensive.