I need help replacing a couple of cans on the Scott 299

Mike Lindsey

Thanks, Craig! It seems pretty complicated, and I'm sure I will have some questions while I'm doing it, but I may tackle it anyway. I wish there was someone in the Orlando area who knows about this kind of stuff and could watch over me while I was doing it.

I'll keep in touch when I start it...

Mike

Parts have been ordered! $40 plus S/H. Will start with the 2 back cans. If I can't accomplish that then I know I won't be able to do the front can.

I just went thru what I have invested in this thing now:

Bought it for $75 thru the paper

Craig rebuilt it and only charged me parts/tubes/etc and shipping - $135

Quad Telefunken 12AX7's - $150

Mullard 5AR4 - $70

New case - $55

New Cans (3) - $50

That's $535! Jeez... and I thought I was getting a bargain when I got it for $75! This stuff is a sickness I tell you.

Mike

Yea but in reality you really can't count the tubes. You didn't have to buy the tubes you just opted too go that route. If you were to sell it you could easily put the originals back in and get just about the same price for it. Then sell the TFK's and Mullard separately most likely for the same as you purchased them for originally. Now factor in that you have used it for 4 years. Even at your figure if the thing blew up (unlikely) you still only spent 40 cents a day on it.....

Well... 2 down and 1 to go. [:D]

I replaced the 2 cans in the back, and it turned out taking more time than I thought (doesn't it always?). The very bottom can wasn't so difficult except for getting the nuts on the bolts. An absolute pain I tell ya. The one next to it was more difficult as it had 5 wires connected to the outer ground tabs. Since these new cans don't have those, and some of the wires weren't long enough to reach the new ground connector on the can, I had to do a little splicing and dicing.

The results? Fabulous! I just let it warm up for 15 minutes or so, and the first thing I noticed was I could no longer hear the slight hum that used to drive me crazy. Even with the volume all the way down I would get a slight hum out of my left channel. Now it's dead silent. I don't begin to hear any noise until I turn the volume past 5.

I put on Chicago V and it just sounds incredible!

For those of you into vinyl I strongly suggest you go find this album (hopefully the original pressing), as it is a spectacular recording. Unbelievable dynamics with incredible detail, and oh that bass! I know it's hard to believe but I can actually hear the bass from my La Scala's, so imagine what the rest of you non-La Scala owners will be hearing. [:P]

Anyway, gonna take a break for a day or two and enjoy them before I tackle the 3rd can, which is going to be much more complicated.

Happy listening again,

Mike

• 5 years later...

Man am I glad I found this post, I recently picked up one of these off of the bay. I don't I got a great deal but i got a deal I am happy with, the one I picked up is a bit of a problem child as far as one of the caps in the back is broken, but this post helps me a lot since it seems that one of the ones in the back of Mikes is what is was working on as well.

I have found out that you really need to search the different topics in the forum to find what your looking for. Now I will start a new one about tubes, which again alot of question I have were answered by reading this post.

thanks
Nick

Imagine my surprise to see this thread revived. [:D]

Best of luck with yours. They are sweet sounding integrateds when cleaned up. I sure do miss mine. I have actually been looking for another to drive the Hereseys in the garage. I haven't been looking real hard, but if the right one came along I would consider it. Keep us posted.

Mike

I like reviving a old thread its kind of like recycling, plus all of the wise ones that might have posted to it might see it again as well[;)].

I will send pics when recieved and up and running. I always had this feeling that these would sound great with a pair of Heresies.

nick