Top of KHorn bass bin

Jeff Matthews

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meagain, forget the one on page 3. The recent pic of the 2006 Klipschorn is like mine.

The label on back of mine says Type KDBR.

I don't know anything about decorator KHorns (if they exist). I have deco Corns.

Pics. Pics. Pics. - I promise to have some soon. My friend's digi cam is on my desk at the office. I just need to bring it home.

Also, last night, despite getting a late start, I cut the first side grill out of ply. It's going to look just fine.

Once the grill top is set even with the top of the bass bin - and once I bevel the front edge of the grill so it recesses into the bin - there will be no gap between the side grill and the bass bin where you can peer into the bass cavity. The top of the grill will just barely come up to the bottom of the top bin.

This is a Dectorator (I believe). http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Klipschkhorn-Khorn-HUGE-Loudspeakers-Vintage_W0QQitemZ5853555243QQcategoryZ61378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is it birch under the top grill? If so - boy are you lucky. I'd love to have a pair to re-veneer in a proper wood. Or paint to match the house!

In the picture you posted of them - is the color of your grill cloth depicted properly? So it seems someone put grill cloth on there after the fact?

I'd soooo take it off. I'm not a grill type of gal.

Yeah, there's birch like that under the grill cloth. I thought they were all made that way. I guess not. But if you want them that way, it seems it would be real easy to cut a few rectangles out of a piece of ply.

I guess I'm lucky, except I like the grill cloth - not the cloth that the previous owner put on - but I like the Burlap. It really looks rich.

Plus, you need to see the way I put the cloth on. The cloth covers the full front of the top bin, except for the top plate. Then, I extended the cloth to cover the side edges of the bottom plate - for a kind of "pin stripe" effect between the top bin and bottom bin on the sides. I think it looks great that way.

The differences between mine and the eBay pic in your link are (1) mine are very nice - no elbow grease needed (except grills), the wood is not scratched (it's almost mint) and the stain is beautiful and the grain is beautiful; and (2) there were some boards screwed onto the bottom of the top bin to lift the top bin up 3/4" in order to make the "neck" that you see between the top bin and the bottom bin.

I'll post pics. Just bought my first table saw this morning. Can you believe I'm over a year into "This Old House" and haven't needed a table saw yet?

I should be able to knock out the other 3 grills pretty quick. I can use my first one as a stencil.

Jeff - Ebay has some Diamond type emblams and the regular metal types.

If those were mine, I'd remove the little riser that was added and make them as in the ebay pic. I'd re-veneer them in a proper wood. Birch is pretty low on the totem pole and not rare as in your signature line. You could make those absolutely stunning. I wish they were mine - I'd make them killer.

It makes no sense to me that someone would take decorators (assuming they were built like the ebay pic - and simply add pieces to it between the bass & top sections? What would be the point?

Is it possible someone had the horn section and mated it with with stray bass bins? Like a 'marriage' in furniture-speak?

Jeff - Ebay has some Diamond type emblams and the regular metal types.

If those were mine, I'd remove the little riser that was added and make them as in the ebay pic. I'd re-veneer them in a proper wood. Birch is pretty low on the totem pole and not rare as in your signature line. You could make those absolutely stunning. I wish they were mine - I'd make them killer.

It makes no sense to me that someone would take decorators (assuming they were built like the ebay pic - and simply add pieces to it between the bass & top sections? What would be the point?

Is it possible someone had the horn section and mated it with with stray bass bins? Like a 'marriage' in furniture-speak?

The Birch on mine is really, really nice. It might be low on the totem pole, but its looks don't say that. Alot of the Walnut I see just looks like a fake veneer in comparison to the natural-looking, soft grain of the Birch. The soft grain of the Birch adds way more depth to the wood's texture that you don't get in many of the other species of wood.

Why they probably added the pieces to the bottom of the top bin is because these so-called, highly-regarded "Decorators" were really the "cheapies." I think the "neck" in between the bins is a nice trait that somebody wanted to emulate.

The ones on eBay w/o the neck look a little "stunted" IMO.

EDIT: On the rarity issue, you might be right. The seller told me he has seen over 20 pairs of KHorns come through his place, and this was the first Birch he ever saw. I, too, have seen very few in Birch. Most of what I seem to see is Walnut (I think), but whatever it is, it's not Birch. I wonder how many people on this forum have Birch KHorns. I might be easily corrected and talked into slightly modifying my signature line. [:$]

Right out-of-the-bag, I see Larry C's KHorns (posted on page 3 of this thread) appear to be Birch (?). Hmmmmm.....

"Alot of the Walnut I see just looks like a fake veneer in comparison to the natural-looking, soft grain of the Birch. "

Naaaa.... [:)] Well, I guess we have different tastes. I'd treat those D's much differently. And how come you don't have a dig camera?!

But it truely makes no sense that one would go to the trouble of making a home plate mini-riser thing between the bass-bin & top. What on earth would be the goal there? What gain?

Is it at all possible D-Man's query has merit? That the bass bin is upside down? You never know!

"Alot of the Walnut I see just looks like a fake veneer in comparison to the natural-looking, soft grain of the Birch. "

Naaaa.... [:)] Well, I guess we have different tastes. I'd treat those D's much differently. And how come you don't have a dig camera?!

But it truely makes no sense that one would go to the trouble of making a home plate mini-riser thing between the bass-bin & top. What on earth would be the goal there? What gain?

Is it at all possible D-Man's query has merit? That the bass bin is upside down? You never know!

Okay, but maybe we have the same taste in finish on this one..... The 60th Anniv. Editions. Did you see those? Now, that's a classy-looking set of speakers.

I don't have a dig. camera because my friend has one. You're talking to "El Cheapo," here! I'm getting one soon, though. In the meantime, his is on my desk, ready for me to bring home tonight. Will I take pics tonight, though? That's the big question. I have some doubts, because I want to finish the grills first.

The bass bin is right side up. It has a toe kick on the bottom.

Um - It's my understanding the D's don't have a toe kick! (someone can correct me).

You mentioned your seller having alot of them pass thru his hands? Was he a dealer in Vintage, etc? Collector?

I think you have a 'marriage'. A combo of 2 different styles.

Come on Jeff - bling them out. Make them pretty enough for your main living space. :) You're handy and can pull it off. How about the Lacewood? http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipschorn-50th-Anniversary-Klipsch-KHorn-Very-Rare_W0QQitemZ5856036363QQcategoryZ61378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In this decorator type style http://gallery.audioasylum.com/users/8502/thumb/Cornwall_R.JPG

Stunning! (anyone think Jeff has a combo here?)

Um - It's my understanding the D's don't have a toe kick! (someone can correct me).

You mentioned your seller having alot of them pass thru his hands? Was he a dealer in Vintage, etc? Collector?

I think you have a 'marriage'. A combo of 2 different styles.

Come on Jeff - bling them out. Make them pretty enough for your main living space. :) You're handy and can pull it off. How about the Lacewood? http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipschorn-50th-Anniversary-Klipsch-KHorn-Very-Rare_W0QQitemZ5856036363QQcategoryZ61378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In this decorator type style http://gallery.audioasylum.com/users/8502/thumb/Cornwall_R.JPG

Stunning! (anyone think Jeff has a combo here?)

Maybe they were added on. By the looks of things, it seems someone wanted to make D's look more like B's. They're definitely D's, though. That's what it says on the stickers.

Yeah, I saw those 50's. Very nice. Notice the color of the stain? Very similar to my Birches, except mine might be a tad lighter (less red). That "golden" color stain really contrasts nicely with the black Burlap. I always liked deep black and gold together. You'll see them soon. Not that you should expect an "anniversary edition" stunning appearance, but they do look very nice.

There are 2 things about the 50th editions that I am not crazy about: (1) the grill cloth (I still think it looks better when the cloth is not translucent, and (2) the piecing together of veneers on the top plate (I guess they don't make wood like they used to - I like a single piece). Don't take it as me bashing them, though. If I could have found those 50th's for the $1700 I paid for mine, I'd have jumped all over them and robbed that ignorant grandma! [:P]

Right out-of-the-bag, I see Larry C's KHorns (posted on page 3 of this thread) appear to be Birch (?). Hmmmmm.....

No, mahogany lacquer veneer from 1962, when it was less dark and less red. While you can't see the bookmatching with that limited shot, the clue is the fine, regular, uni-directional grain.

This is a fair straight-on shot. Mahogany is a fine grain, that can have different appearances as the light shifts. That accounts for similar grain features in this shot looking darker on one side than the other. Note, though, that the left side is a mirror of the right, which is produced by "bookmatching" adjoining veneer sheets reversed from side to side. K-horn pairs are also mirror-image bookmatched, so that one K-horn has very nearly the same grain pattern and appearance as the other.

post-12148-1381928097349_thumb.jpg

LarryC - That is absolutely stunning! I'd die if I found a pair like that.

Jeff, that mahogony above has amazing depth and a glow about it. Almost as if there's rays of light emitting from it. Birch Plywood is birch plywood. It's found on cheap furniture at target, etc. It's also a PITA to stain. Blotchy, etc. (Sorry but it's true)

Jeff - Seeing through the grill is just the flash of the cameras bursting thru the grill and reflecting. I have a strong flash on my cam and can clearly see it. Yet when I walk up to them within inches - and look hard, I can't see anything but the grill. The flash showing this up is because it's proper grill cloth. It's a light/flash reflection anomaly.

My guess since your seller dabbled in khorns, he ended up with 2 sets, one with a damaged bass bin, and one with a damaged horn section and put them together to sell. Like Maron said.

LarryC - That is absolutely stunning! I'd die if I found a pair like that.

Jeff, that mahogony above has amazing depth and a glow about it. Almost as if there's rays of light emitting from it. Birch Plywood is birch plywood. It's found on cheap furniture at target, etc. It's also a PITA to stain. Blotchy, etc. (Sorry but it's true)

Jeff - Seeing through the grill is just the flash of the cameras bursting thru the grill and reflecting. I have a strong flash on my cam and can clearly see it. Yet when I walk up to them within inches - and look hard, I can't see anything but the grill. The flash showing this up is because it's proper grill cloth. It's a light/flash reflection anomaly.

My guess since your seller dabbled in khorns, he ended up with 2 sets, one with a damaged bass bin, and one with a damaged horn section and put them together to sell. Like Maron said.

Meagain. You speak too soon. Maybe I have some of that "special" Birch. [;)] It runs circles around Walnut in terms of depth and glow. I'm gonna post a pic of the Walnut veneer on the doors in my office. Cheesy and dead cold!