Top of KHorn bass bin

Jeff Matthews

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff,

KDBR=Klipschorn, Decorator, Birch, Raw. Now let's talk about YOUR particular KDBR speakers.

The Decorator models of K-horns were basically a K-horn bass bin built onto an overly long (read TALLER) bass bin front panel. The upper part of the front panel fo the bass bin extended upwards past the top of the bass bin and had holes routed into it for the mid-horn lens and the tweeter, just like the front panel of other styles had for the front of THEIR h/f sections. Are you picturing this? Just think of the front birch panel of the bass bin extending upwards with holes in the front of it for the horns ABOVE the top of the bass bin, OK?

Now, in order to seal these to the walls, a "homeplate" piece was cut out that was slightly less deep, in other words, it had part of the front of the home plate sawn off. This was because it was BUTTED with its front edge up against the front of that extended front panel, and it was then nailed to the front bass bin panels and screwed onto the top of the bass bin. That panel is what the bracket to support the rear of the mid horn lens and the network board was mounted to. THERE WAS NO UPPER TOP-END PANEL ON THESE AT ALL!

Somewhere in your particular speakers' past, SOMEBODY tried to modify these Decorators to be like B or C style cabinets, but left out the "homeplate" panel that sealed them properly to the walls. The modifier of these also sawed off the upper extension of the front panel that the upper horns originally were mounted to, and made new top housings, maybe even from the part he/she sawed off!

BUT, he/she never made new homeplates for the top of the bass bin, probably because he/she didn't realize the necessity of the wall to bass bin seal. AND, using the originally attached "homeplate" piece would have looked weird since it would have been sitting 3/4" back from the front edge of the bass bin front panel.

So, there you are! That is your dilemna. You need to cut our a new homeplate piece for the top of each bass bin for the correct seal to the walls of each bass bin. Seldom were side grilles used on Decorator models, but they WERE and OPTION, whereas on the B & C models they were supplied.

So Jeff, you can post a picture of you office door in minutes, but in 5 pages and a couple of days you can't post a better pic of you speakers?[*-)] Did you check that house for toxic matter before you started the demo?[:D] I think you better start wearing a mask.

Yipes! What a mess. But Jeff, it should be easy to match the birch as Home Depot type places should have it. Very cheap.

And if you can't tell the difference between oak and walnut, cherry, or birch vs. mahogony, etc. instantly - then you make more sense to me. [;)]

Tricking these babies out looks more attractive now that you know you have alien khorns. I'd love to have my way with them.

(Edit: I asked Jeff to post a khorn pic when he posted pics of his remodeling. Didn't work. Me thinks he's hideing something in that room? [;)] Or maybe fearing he'd get a wrist slap from the board due to their positioning, etc.) Jeff - Be brave.

(Edit: I asked Jeff to post a khorn pic when he posted pics of his remodeling. Didn't work. Me thinks he's hiding something in that room? [;)] Or maybe fearing he'd get a wrist slap from the board due to their positioning, etc.) Jeff - Be brave.

Drugs, bodies, a crowd of deaf people from his screaming amp...I don't care what you are hiding Jeff, we just like speaker pix in this joint. Fire away!

You all are just hilarious! You crack me up big-time. Okay, I've procrastinated. Here's my goal. I WILL bring the dig cam home with me. First, I will route the front edge of the single grill I made last night, and then, I will put some of those black "potato sacks" over it. That way, I can shoot a pic of the KHorn from its "dressed" angle, so you can see them.

If time permits, I will also include my deco Corns with the cool stands I made for them many years ago. Bear in mind, the Corns would need alot of staple-hole filling and re-staining to use them as decos w/o grills. I'll probably re-grill them. Decos are neat w/o grills, but I have used them with their old grills for 20-years. Just because I found I have "decos" does not incite a boyish-thrill that makes me want to work my tail off to show them off as decos.

I've got alot of other things to do before I can blow time like that.

You'll get your pics.... OKAY???

And my KHorns are lovely - so don't go beating me down when you see them. And as far as painting them, I could see wanting to paint over the poop-colored stained ones, but these are WAY too PRETTY. [;)]

Drugs, bodies, a crowd of deaf people from his screaming amp...I don't care what you are hiding Jeff, we just like speaker pix in this joint. Fire away!

Actually, I did not want you to see my Disney's "Little Tykes" drum set with the Mickey Mouse bass drum cover. [;)] Next thing, people would figure out that I still wear Underoos... [:P]

Check out the deco Cornwall - click on the pic. http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/view.mpl?UserImages=8502&session=

Yummy.

And all walnut is not created equal!

Yeah, that's a nice-looking speaker. A little red, but nice. It would look best in a room where there's not lots of light. In any event, I admit my error in criticizing a wood species (i.e. in saying the Walnut looks like a fake veneer). It really is the stain color that appears to make the difference.

So, is my office door an Oak veneer, Walnut, or what? [;)]

(Edit: I asked Jeff to post a khorn pic when he posted pics of his remodeling. Didn't work. Me thinks he's hideing something in that room? [;)] Or maybe fearing he'd get a wrist slap from the board due to their positioning, etc.) Jeff - Be brave.

A thought has crossed my mind a few times about how much of a kick I'd get to see a new avatar come on the scene with a handle that said "Hubby." [:D]