Outlaw pre and power amp sound quality?

MarkBK

I am considering upgrading my receiver(Sony STR-DE1075) to Outlaw 990 Pre and 7075 Power amp and would like opinions as to the sound quality of Outlaw products? Are they at all tube like in sound quality or cold and sterile? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Mark

No experience with them but they are in the big bang for the buck category compared to some pre-pros and amps. Unusual looking 100 watt stereo receiver they have recently come up with.

That was my impression from what i've read. I did find a review that made me question if they would sound accptable to myear for music. I have the Mac's for 2 channel and am looking for something resonable for Home Theater and 5.1 music that sounds better thatn my Sony.

Never read a bad review on Outlaw.

I have been a happy Sherwood Newcastle HT separates owner for 5 years. Worth a consideration, pricing is reasonable.

High end is less etched than most HT amps for use with horn speakers.

Thanks Audio Flynn - I'll check the Sherwood's out. The high end was one of my concerns.

Mark

MarkBK,

I wouldn't consider the sound of Outlaw amps to be "tube like" or cold and sterile...it is nice...since getting my K'Horns and McIntosh MA-6200 amp...most of my music listening is on that and I use the Outlaw mostly for movies (and I think it's great)...you are looking at the newer stuff from them, I have the 950/7100 (100wpc all 7 channels driven) and I like the sound through my Heresys...it is a bit warmer through Mac Gear but that was the idea of the Mac stuff, right???

I am at work right now but when I get home I will throw on some John Mayer, Cold Play, Diana Krall and give you a more detailed report...So you know...I am NOT an audiophile nor do I play one on TV so I won't use the proper terms and all but I think I can "paint you a picture" of how it sounds...I didn't find it "bright" or cold.

Bill

MarkBK,I wouldn't consider the sound of Outlaw amps to be "tube like" or cold and sterile...it is nice...since getting my K'Horns and McIntosh MA-6200 amp...most of my music listening is on that and I use the Outlaw mostly for movies (and I think it's great)...you are looking at the newer stuff from them, I have the 950/7100 (100wpc all 7 channels driven) and I like the sound through my Heresys...it is a bit warmer through Mac Gear but that was the idea of the Mac stuff, right???I am at work right now but when I get home I will throw on some John Mayer, Cold Play, Diana Krall and give you a more detailed report...So you know...I am NOT an audiophile nor do I play one on TV so I won't use the proper terms and all but I think I can "paint you a picture" of how it sounds...I didn't find it "bright" or cold.

Bill

Bill,

Thank you! I appreciate the response and look forward to your later post. Painting the picture in your words sounds great to me - I don't need the "Audiophile" response - been there done that far too long to make it meaningful - I still remember the High End "Audio" stores around Chicago bad rapping the Klipsch products when Heritage was the entire line and Paul used to visit the stores himself....there all gone but Klipsch is still here.

So are the old Macs eh? [;)]

MarkBK,

Okay...just got home from work and am listening to Diana Krall...Live in Paris...sounds beautiful!

The Heresys are singing well and I just realized that my Outlaw Sub is involved so there is a little extra bass...anyway...sounds great to my ears...I think you will be very happy with the Outlaw gear...check out http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/cgi-local/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi and go to the saloon section...it is their forum...excellent information and anything written by gonk...their resident information guy is great...he can paint it MUCH better than I ever could...detailed and clean sound I think...I hope you'll agree.

Bill

Okay now...John Mayer Trio Live...TRY!...I am hearing a little brightness BUT my Heresys are 1980 models with the original crossovers (soon to be brought back to spec by Bob Crites/BEC) so they are 25 years old...HOWEVER it has been a while since I have listened to music through the Heresys (I still love them!) and I am a bit spoiled by my '83/'05 K'Horns...

Bill

I also want to thank you for getting me to listen to music through the Heresys again...although my 1st pair of Klipschs were KG2s back in 1988...Heresys were the 1st Klipschs I ever heard and are my favorite (all things considered)

While listening to Vultures by the Trio I think "bright" was too harsh (no pun intended [;)] I think the mid horn is more up front but again...older crossovers and different than the K'Horns but still SweeeeeeT!

Bill

I also want to thank you for getting me to listen to music through the Heresys again...although my 1st pair of Klipschs were KG2s back in 1988...Heresys were the 1st Klipschs I ever heard and are my favorite (all things considered)

While listening to Vultures by the Trio I think "bright" was too harsh (no pun intended [;)] I think the mid horn is more up front but again...older crossovers and different than the K'Horns but still SweeeeeeT!

Bill

Bill , Glad to see this was of benefit to you too in experiencing the Heresys with music again! Sweet indeed! I always wanted a pair even when I had my Cornwalls. Did you ever try the horn dampening (rope caulk or modeling clay) tweak? It made a VERY noticable improvement to the CW's - removing what I would call noise only by it absence after the change. Cheap tweak that I think you'd appreciate. That with the new crossovers could be awesome! Any more thoughts on the Outlaws - how is the midrange detail?

Cold Play A Rush Of Blood To The Head...The Scientist and Clocks...sounding clean...nice mids...piano sounds sweet...vocals sound like he is in the room...Dire Straits Brothers In Arms...Full Digital Recording sounds REALLY nice on Money For Nothing!

So you know, I am listening in Stereo Bypass (I don't really care for multi-channel music but it sounds good that way as well...just strange to my 44 year old ears) to CDs on my Toshiba "cheap audiophile special" 3950 DVD-CD player...

Bill

...'course then your Cornwalls should split the difference between the Heresys and the K'Horns, right??? I never got around to the dampening thing...I like the sound as is and as PWK meant...though it could be argued that I haven't heard that yet in the Heresys with the old crossovers...

Bill

Louis Armstrong and What A Wonderful World sounding excellent and now I have in Donald Fagen...The Nightfly...very cleaned and detailed with a nice midrange...If it sounds like I have used any buzz words from the audiophiles dictionary...DISREGARD THAT...these are just the word coming into my head and any resemblance to actual Audio phrases is purely coincidental...

The Fagen CD is very detailed.

I hope this has helped at least a bit.

Good luck and keep us informed of your decision...I have only had my Outlaw stuff for a year but it is very nice...the stuff you are looking at is even better.

Bill

Cold Play A Rush Of Blood To The Head...The Scientist and Clocks...sounding clean...nice mids...piano sounds sweet...vocals sound like he is in the room...Dire Straits Brothers In Arms...Full Digital Recording sounds REALLY nice on Money For Nothing!

So you know, I am listening in Stereo Bypass (I don't really care for multi-channel music but it sounds good that way as well...just strange to my 44 year old ears) to CDs on my Toshiba "cheap audiophile special" 3950 DVD-CD player...

Bill

Bill,

Thanks so much for the comments - GREAT selection/variety of music - Brother In Arms - I just purchased my 3rd version of that CD - this one the SACD with both Stereo AND Mutli-Channel - LOVE that CD!

I too thought the guitars flying around the room would be a bit much - BUT - the Brothers CD was VERY tastefully remixed by Mark Knopfler and sounds incredible in 2 channel AND 5.1. Of course. ot took me completing my "new" Klipsch reference system with RF5s,RC7 and RS7s to appreciate it. I would spend MOST of my time in the same Bypass mode - so I appreciate the comments. As I read the Outlaw forum to learn more of the new stuff, I am selling off some vintage music gear I no longer use to fund the purchase. I hope to be an Outlaw soon! I report the results.