Proposed car stereo law is just a little over the top.....

mike stehr

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the new measure would outlaw possessing or installing any car

stereo with a speaker over a foot in diameter; having more than one

speaker 10 inches in diameter; more than 10 speakers overall; more than

two amplifiers; and any amplifier over 300 watts.

No mention of an actual measurable volume... as in db@1m .... i guess

it'll depend which music they are playing? [:P] Some people

have lots of time on their hands... Perhaps we should to

get a law passed forbiding any man over 40yrs to ride a motorcycle

producing more than 85db@1m in order to protect the youth from second

hand noise?

I posted this here because I'm guessing some of you home subwoofer enthusiasts are into car stereo as well.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/275F57729BE6E21F86257104001AFB1F?OpenDocument

SPL fan here for caraudio only. Lucky thing I don't live in St. Louis. I only have a single DD 9512", and its still not enough.[;)]

• 2 weeks later...

Good for them.

I'm a homeowner with 100% stone house that sits well back from the roadway. I'm sick and tired of hearing the BOOM BOOM BOOM of these idiots travelling down my street. They are not only endangering their own hearing, and the safety and wellbeing of themselves, passengers, and workers in emergency vehicles, but they are dumbing down the quality of life in most major cities. It lessens the enjoyment of my home and potentially the value of it to myself and others.

Once noise is in place, it always wins over quietude. Motorcycles with straight pipes, diesel pickup trucks with enormous tailpipes, leaf blowers and yes, car stereos all contribute to a lessening of our quality of life.

I'm all for enjoying tunes in vehicles, but PLEASE be cognizant of where you are and TURN IT DOWN when cruising through a neighborhood or in traffic. I only listen to my music loudly when out on the open highway, where I won't bother anyone else and can clearly see emergency vehicles.

I purchased a home on 2 acres so I could play my HT as loud as I wanted without any chance of a neighbor being bothered by it.

Michael

for what it's worth....colter ain't no ranting and raving old fart

either. On many occasions I've been over at his place listening to

music - only to hear some piece of crap leaf blower or boom boom

machine going down the road during the quiet parts...and "quiet" when

I'm over is probably ear-splitting for the rest of the old farts on the

forum [;)] (naw, it ain't that bad)

It's insane too because we're surrounded by cornwall city, huge stone

walls, and very very far from the road - yet you can still hear them.

In my new apartment complex I'm usually up to around 2,3am and every

night some stupid punk comes rolling in with his music blasting...I'm

on the top floor a good ways from the road and my windows still rattle.

One of these days he's going to find his speakers making a nice

flapping sound...[:@] It's not so much that it pisses me off (I could

really care less)....it's all the people he wakes up every night.

Btw, the new law proposed is very stupid too....smaller subs = more one

note wonders on the road. Also, we all know that crazy SPL's can be

achieved with a mere 12" woofer and 300W (look at the LAB Horn) - it

could push over 120dB no problem. I would seriously go down there with

such a system just to protest the stupidity of the law.

DrWho remember the laws are written by common people with common

ideas/common perceptions. Just like everyone in college believes the

best system is the one that sounds the loudest. Misinformed people make

misinformed decisions is all. Take for example the SUV situation where

parents buy their kids SUVs thinking that the bigger the car the

stronger they are. Yet they neglect the rollover rate that even though

the SUV may fair better in the actual collision, the likelyhood of

tipping over is more dangerous. Also that SUVs are built cheaper and

weaker than comparable cars hence why American car companies used and

abused selling SUVs because the high profit margins.

oh and btw

"But the new measure would outlaw possessing or installing any car

stereo with a speaker over a foot in diameter; having more than one

speaker 10 inches in diameter; more than 10 speakers overall; more than

two amplifiers; and any amplifier over 300 watts."

what about the cars that come standard with more than 10 speakers or

has a 12 inch sub factory installed? Yeah that goes real well, let's

pull over the every lexus now as probable cause because we "know" that

the Mark Levinsons systems have more then 10 speakers, and a speaker

bigger than 10 inches, and more then 300 watts. and more then 2

amplifies.

Next you will not be allowed to have wheels bigger then 18 inch because they cause people to look at them.

It was pulled....

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/17088BB09EF019918625710B001C07B9?OpenDocument&highlight=2%2C%22Jake%22+AND+%22Wagman%22

"I'm all for enjoying tunes in vehicles, but PLEASE be cognizant of where you are and TURN IT DOWN when cruising through a neighborhood or in traffic."

Exactly. And if it's after 10 PM, obey the noise ordinance. But there is always someone that doesn't get it.......

I used to get into car stereo in the '80's, but more or less gave it up after cruising down the crowded freeway in the left lane and had a ambulance ridin' my *** wanting past.

I couldn't hear the ambulance because I had the stereo cranked. I didn't notice until I looked in the rear view and noticed the lights. Felt pretty stupid after that.

That and dealing with road noise, rattling sheetmetal and door panels.....it's hard to enjoy music.

It's much nicer to vegetate on the couch and enjoy the stereo. You hear more subtle things, and the experience is more enjoyable. Not to mention the sound quality is better.

Very rarely I hear a car stereo nowdays that's even remotely impressionable.

DrWho remember the laws are written by common people with common

ideas/common perceptions. Just like everyone in college believes the

best system is the one that sounds the loudest. Misinformed people make

misinformed decisions is all.

I don't care if they are misinformed...it is a government official's

job to seek advice from those who are. Sorry for ranting, but

it royally pisses me off the number of laws that are passed out of pure

laziness and stupid politics. This just being one of them. It would be

so much easier to specify a dB rating for certain frequency ranges so

as to prevent annoying neighbors - then all a cop has to do is "clock

their system" and then it would be reasonable to take action: just make

it a graded scale like speeding tickets. 6dB = $50 fine, 10dB = $100

fine, anything higher = removal of the system. Sounds way more than

reasonable to me.

most people "turn it up" "turn it down" not "put it down 6 DBs"

Also remember politcians have to try to get reelected and hence sway in

favor of their voters. That is why "Tough on crime" is in effect, not

one study conclusively says that tough on crime actually prevents or

deters any crime.

Good for them.

I'm a homeowner with 100% stone house that sits well back from the roadway. "I'm sick and tired of hearing the BOOM BOOM BOOM of these idiots travelling down my street. "

"I purchased a home on 2 acres so I could play my HT as loud as I wanted without any chance of a neighbor being bothered by it. "

Michael

Still, I have to disagree with this statement. I can still make my house as boomy as I want, as a car that has an SPL system. I don't know why any one can be sick and tired of it. A Subwoofer is a subwoofer, just to let you know. [;)] I Don't mean to be harsh, but even if you get a JL w7, people could still double it to make it sound loud. "I wanted without any chance of a neighbor being bother by it" looks like some people also hate the loud noise coming out from your house.[;)] I DON'T MEAN YOUR HOUSE.

One of the northwest suburbs of Chicago (can't remember which town) already has a similar law. If your car stereo is too loud they can impound your car & have the option to permanently confiscate your equipment. While I agree that it's annoying when people crank their systems through residential areas, it's a ridiculous penalty. The impound fees are bad enough, but they can just seize several thousand dollars of equipment.

It should really just be a ticketable offense. If a town wants to stop people from playing their car stereos loud, then they should enforce their current laws and write a few more tickets. After enough $75 tickets, people will get the idea.

Good for them.

I'm a homeowner with 100% stone house that sits well back from the roadway. "I'm sick and tired of hearing the BOOM BOOM BOOM of these idiots travelling down my street. "

"I purchased a home on 2 acres so I could play my HT as loud as I wanted without any chance of a neighbor being bothered by it. "

Michael

Still, I have to disagree with this statement. I can still make my house as boomy as I want, as a car that has an SPL system. I don't know why any one can be sick and tired of it. A Subwoofer is a subwoofer, just to let you know. [;)] I Don't mean to be harsh, but even if you get a JL w7, people could still double it to make it sound loud. "I wanted without any chance of a neighbor being bother by it" looks like some people also hate the loud noise coming out from your house.[;)] I DON'T MEAN YOUR HOUSE.

The point is not what type of speaker can make what type of noise.

The point is RIGHTS. You or no one else has the right to intrude on my right to enjoy my home. Period. If I want to play my music loud, that's my right- so long as I'm not bothering anyone else.

If you want to play your car system loud on the open road, that's fine and dandy. BUT DON"T DO IT IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD. If I can hear your car stereo inside my home with all my windows up, YOU ARE INTRUDING ON MY RIGHTS.

I have arranged my living situation (the 2 acres and stone house) so as to not disturb others. Can you say the same for your music listening habits?

Now do you agree or disagree with this statement?

Do you want my address? You can come by here blasting your music and I'll drag you out of your freaking car and BEAT YOU WITH YOUR OWN SUBWOOFER!

Michael

for some reason I for one hate the stupid motorcyclists lately that

purposely tune their exhausts to be as loud as possible. And when the

bars close at 2 am they all get out and scream by waking everyone up.

But the police look the other way cause there their friends or other

police officers.

Bottom line,stupid laws are proposed and passed by stupid people. And stupid people should not make decisions affecting nations.

I agree the young deaf kids driving around in thier econobox garbage blasting the rust off thier doors irritate most people,simply police should give the offenders BIG fines.

But some people get irritated too easy,I have a few nitro RC trucks and when I drive them around some old fart complains like a little B about noise.

for some reason I for one hate the stupid motorcyclists lately that

purposely tune their exhausts to be as loud as possible. And when the

bars close at 2 am they all get out and scream by waking everyone up.

But the police look the other way cause there their friends or other

police officers.

Right on,but what will you do about it?

Here bikers the ones with the big tatoos and skulls with wings on thier backs roll around the streets of less fortunate hoods and even the cops hide. Their Harley Davidson bikes having no real muflers but in thier place...tuned pipes to lower the audible register and wake the dead. LOL [:P]

yeah but those damn nitro cars have a high pitch about them sorta like a lawnmower in the distant or so that could be annoying.

This depends on the tuned pipe,plastic/composite pipes are quiet...quiet.Its the metal pipes that scream.

I would like to have Colter living close by,I would turn up my audio so loud he would walk over mad,ranting and raving.Then boum a Revel B15 would hit him. [;)]