music in 5.1

woodsman

I will put this topic here since it does not apply to 2 channel. Anyone listen to any cd's recorded in 5.1 ? I know they have been out for awhile, finally heard one over the weekend. The Eagles hell frezzes over was the 1st one. It is very cool, recorded very well, great separation. Then I purchased an Alan Parsons on air, very very well done cd in 5.1. You can use your dvd player or cd with a digital cable connected. The one main thing you must have is DTS decoding on your pre or av reciever. Give one a listen, worth a few dollars more.

Jeff

While many in the 2ch forum are purists, who will listen ONLY to that type of music, I embrace the new formats. I can appreciate the 2ch stuff, but I thouroughly enjoy 5.1 and 6.1 too. Granted, there is plenty of crap out there, but when multichannel stuff is done well (think DSOTM on SACD) it is a total blast. I also find myself more and more using HK's Logic 7 processing to listen to 2ch stuff in 7.1 -- I find it waaaaay better than DD or DTS:Neo6.

Count me in. I listen to two-channel CD most of the time, but almost always with dpl-II music mode engaged. It just sounds more realistic to me; less canned.

Multi-channel music is cool if done right, but my limited experience with it has been that a lot of it ain't done right.

Well all I know is some of my favorite music experiences were over at

Colter's place where we were surrounded by cornwalls blasting away

concert DVD's. By far the best system I've ever listened to....and I

have no doubt it's because of the great source material. [H]

I was unimpressed with the first few 5.1 music experiences I heard - preferring 2 channel for music. It took completing my Reference system and a well done remix to finally "see the light". The Dire Straits Brothers In Arm SACD was remixed by Mark Knopfler and it is extraordinary!

I have quite a few DVD Audio disc's and a few DTS music only disc's. About 10% of what I have is not that great. Not from the stand point of the music but in the way they recorded. I have found most of the older recordings that were remixed for surround just don't come off very good, perhaps it has to do with the original recordings.

On the other hand I have many that are just outstanding and reall make the format shine. I like music in surround when it's done right. It sucks me in and makes me feel as though I'm part of it. As with any good recording whether it be stereo pr multi-channel if produced right it should provoke an emotion.

Here are a couple of suggestions on disc's.(dvd a)

Toy Matinee
Queen - A Night At The Opera
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia and Deadwing
Queensryche - Empire
Dobbie Brothers - Captain and Me
ELP Brain Salad Surgery
Dishwalla- Opaline

Wow I am starting to think of the good recordings and I have come to the conclusion I could put down many.

Disapointments

Deep Purple Machine Head
Moody Blues Seventh Sorjourn
Alice Cooper Billion Dollar Babies
REO Speedwagon

scooter

I did put this in the theater forum for a reason. It's not 2 channel, which I also love by the way. You need to have a theater setup to enjoy this format. I am sure the early stuff needed work. You get a good artist with a good mixer and you have a new experiance. I personally, enjoyed being surrounded by music. I will not buy a bunch of this format, 2 channel is still my favorite. Gotta mix it up though, keeps life interesting.

Woodsman I have probably 30 to 40 SACDs and DVD audio discs. Some sound very good and other okay and others I lost my money cause I don't listen to. I have a little of the different types of music classical, modern jazz, rock, Big Band music, etc.

These are some of the best sounding SACDs and DVD Audio I have:

Blue Man Group-DVD audio, This is a great rock DVD disc that also has a couple of videos on it. They did a Santana and got some singers that most I had never heard of but I really liked most of the singers .

NIN Deluxe Edition SACD-I only like a few of their songs like Closer(warning on this song very naughty words that all you young kids should not hear) and Piggy which both are one of the best sounding SACD songs I have heard. The rest of the songs on the SACD I don't care much for. If you love NIN then this is worth it.

Dire Straits-Brothers In Arms-SACD, very well rerecorded but not the best I have heard from SACD.

Seal Best 1991-2004--DVD Audio, this has acoustic song versions, 5.1 versions, videos with excellent sound, a Seal lovers DVD Audio.

I like more of the modern or smooth jazz so try these

Peter White-Glow-SACD, He is a jazz guitar player and this album is very well recorded.

Chris Botti-Night Sessions-SACD, He is a trumpet player and I did not think I would like his music but this album is another one that I think he did the original recording with SACD in mind and it sounds like it.

Silverline studios puts out some of the best sounding DVD Audio I have heard. This next one is another one I probably would not have bought as a cd but it sounds great.

Inside the Music New Age-DVD Audio, Another excellent sounding 5.1 disc.

Now since we are on Jazz This next is the best sounding DVD Video I have heard.

Diana Krall Live in Paris-- this video really sounds fantastic and it doesn't hurt that she looks great also.

And if you like the big band music try these

Grdon Goodwins Big Phat Band

Swinging For The Fences or XXL(yes that is the name of the album)

These two DVD Audio are also two of the best recorded I have heard.

What are other SACD and DVD Audio that you recomend that the sound is excellent?

Thanks Who. Yes, there is lots of good music/concert DVD's available in true 5.1 surround.

I know it's a bit off topic but this relates to using all speakers for stereo sound.

Recently DrWho help me tweak my system for the 'all speaker stereo' that I use quite a bit these days. My fairly current Yamaha receiver has a 7ch stereo mode, where the Sub gets output, the center gets a mono feed, and any surrounds get also their side of the stereo mix.

By tweaking the volumes for this mode only, we were able to put the center at about 35% the mains, and the rears at about 20% and have a very strong 'mainly' Stereo mix with the 3rd channel (PWK approved) filling in the 'hole in the middle' and a little splash of non-delayed rear sound. VERY enveloping.

Great topic. Not enough music is available. To me, that makes what is out there even better. I even tend to listen to music I would not ordinarily listen to/buy, just to experience the 5.1 sound. I recommend Steely Dan's Gaucho, John Hiatt master of disaster, beck's Guero is really unique. There seems to be a good deal of uncertainty for this format's future.