Ebay-1974 Cornwalls W/Vertical Horns(Not II's)

ShapeShifter

There's a pair of 1974 Walnut Cornwalls with vertical mounted horns on Ebay. These are not designated as Cornwall II's. Another variation of Cornwalls? Note the orentation of both PWK logos on the cabinets! They're listed as 71's but they have "M" alpha codes and matching serial numbers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1287532848

They're in Providence, RI. The sellers name is Mark, he's always been very honest and upfront with me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of his vintage gear. He's also a very skilled Electronics Technican.

Gotta go do the "Sweetest Day" commercial ripoff thing.

Later,

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

beautiful speakers, they are the Cornwall ones, I don't know which crossover that is, but it looks like the original, the seller seems to know his stuff, but the asking price borders on what LaScala are fetching, hope to hear Chrous IIs on my system tommorrow, can't wait to see how much difference there is ...

------------------

HORNS & subs; leather couch & feet up; lights out & tubes glowing!

Yea, they're a bit beyond my price point. Would consider a trade for my 85 I's. After closer look at the front, my guess is that grill cloth was replaced on these. The are really nice though.

Colin, I think you'll still like the sound of those Chorus II's. Placement is the key...near wall...as for all rear passive speakers.

Jim, If they sell, I hope someone from this BB gets them.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 10-20-2001 at 03:02 PM

Well I apologize,

I've been looking for a pair of Cornwall 1s for the better part of a month and lost out on a pair of '85 #1s located in Orlando at $1225. I could have driven from Miami and picked them up. I saw another pair from the NE sell for $1100+ by a fellow who posts here, but he didn't want to ship them. There have been others, but most are mid '80s and they sell for close to a grand. There is another pair of '79s in Asheville, NC on Audiogon at $650. I considered these, but they're black and I've got some Dynaudio Contour 3.0s in black ash veneer and want a change.

I'll be mating these to some George Wright Mono 8 300B amps and an Electronic Tonalities Foreplay with a full load of premium parts. This is an experiment, for me, in SET/Horns and I really don't know what to expect. I'm running PP amps with the hungry Dyns.

While the price of $1150 might seem high for a 27 year old speaker, these seem to be in pristine shape and going with some 'new designs' will be quite a bit more. If anything, I should be able to get most of my money back if these don't work out. La Scala might need a sub for my musical tastes and I just don't want to go that route.

Any thoughts and/or advice would be appreciated for this Klipsch virgin. I will have them in a smallish room which is not ideal, but I may be moving to a bigger place in the next year.

Thanks, Chris

Chris,

Welcome to the Klipsch Family Board. Congratulations on the purchase of those highly prized & vintage Cornwalls. I think you will be pleased with the sound you receive from those wonderful vertical horns. I have two pair of Cornwalls and love them. There are others here who report great results in using tube equipment with their highly efficient Klipsch speakers. The Cornwall is no exception, and as these have the vertical matched horns, imaging will be excellent.

The Cornwall also offers versality in placement, on or near corners or walls, so you should be able to set them up in your small room and receive very good imaging. Experiment with placement and position so that you look down the throat of those horns from your primary seating area.

Please update us as to your experience once you have them setup and have had the opportunity to do some extended listening.

Again congrats,

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 10-23-2001 at 04:34 AM