Paragon Patent pics

D-MAN

Dont try to build a Paragon from these pics. They are more extensive than that. I have the blueprints. I built my Paragon back in 66 The curved panel needs a special jig to make. I at that time I bought the curved panel & legs. But built the rest of the cabinets. It took 3 months to complete the project. The woofers were JBL 150-4c ...later JBL LE15... mids 375 drivers tweets were 075..Xovers were LX5 & N7000. The other fella in the project opted to make his curved panel & did a excellent job. I carved the front legs for him. You couldnt tell the difference from the original Paragon (all in walnut).

Somewhere I have black & white photos going through entire construction. The photos were featured in a magezine called AudioFan ..Executive editor Anthony Lord. Aug. 1966 Vol. 2 No. 8 I,l try to find the photos...although ive gone through two moves since then. How do they sound? Not that spectacular. I have four Klipschorns...2 stock & 2 modified the later use 2397 Smith horns on top with 375 drivers plus the JBL 2404 tweets. I like this one the best..Some times i,l switch mid 375 for the newer JBL 2450 units. The Paragon has a flaw..in that only the 375 reflect off the curved panel. The tweets(075) fire direct out of the bass horn mouth. You talk about time & phase problems just like the Khorn.

Boom3.......A pro version of the Paragon was made and this version did not have legs. It was designed to be used behind a cinema screen. It could use the floor boundry bass support or placed up on a elevated stage. Or even hung up on cables. A picture of the pro version was on EBAY & a lengthly discission on the Lansing Heritage site just a few weeks ago. Ive only seen one. I also have a JBL brochure about the Paragon & on the back is a photo of the pro version.

How do they sound? Not that spectacular. I have four Klipschorns...2 stock & 2 modified the later use 2397 Smith horns on top with 375 drivers plus the JBL 2404 tweets. I like this one the best..Some times i,l switch mid 375 for the newer JBL 2450 units. The Paragon has a flaw..in that only the 375 reflect off the curved panel. The tweets(075) fire direct out of the bass horn mouth. You talk about time & phase problems just like the Khorn.

Soundwise, how does the Paragon compare to the less expensive Metregon?

post-14184-13819281344608_thumb.jpg

I spoke to a Paragon owner a year ago, and he was not happy with his. He says it's not good for all kinds of music, prefers it on classical, but not rock. To me it means what Maron is saying.

It sure looks good, though.

The bass horn of the Paragon looks more like a bent horn than a folded horn. Here's a rear shot.

post-14184-13819281377278_thumb.jpg

Dont try to build a Paragon from these pics. They are more extensive than that. I have the blueprints.

Maron,

Does your plan set have a list of materials? Mine doesn't. Drawing sets normally come with an LOM . The Hartsfield's first sheet is an LOM, and that's what I use to translate some of JBL part numbers for the Paragon's hardware. Other ones, I just have to guess. I find it hard to believe that a drawing set as large as a Paragon's would not have an LOM.

DJK...Its a short horn & mouth area is limited....Although LE15 is good to about 25 hz I suspect good to 35 hz........No list of material on plans. I had a factory built Metragon (black) It depends what speakers you put in them. At that time I had D130 woofers & 075 tweets. But if you can afford LE15 woofers with 275 mids plus tweets it would fit..The Metragon, It was a upgradable cabinet. Some guys liked it better. Both to look at as a work of art. A great piece of sculpture in your home that sings to you. A Paragon was bought for the White House ( Kennedy era I believe) Its probably in some warehouse in Washington DC rotting away. Ide like to buy that one Im sure the woofers are bug eat,n by now. But could be restored.

ajsons....That picture of rear shot I saw the pictures of that on ebay... Very poor condition....That person should be take in a back ally, horse whipped to an inch of his life, salt rubbed into his wounds, & left for the rats to eat on his carcass. What a pig. Ive seen some bad ones but that was the worst.