moment).

One thing I've always wanted to try, is embedding the acoustical panels

into the wall....they'd be a lot less obtrusive and I would imagine

would have the same net effect? I suppose there will be issues of

skimming the surface and bouncing off...but a non-flat panel with a

scrim on it should resolve that issue. I just like the idea of there

being a lot more space behind the panel and having the sound get

trapped in the walls. That's of course bad for sound-transmission, but

that's not always an issue for everyone.

What is "carpet foam"?

I have a feeling it doesn't have the same acoustical properties as the typical "acoustical foam" (the technical name slips my mind at the moment).

One thing I've always wanted to try, is embedding the acoustical panels into the wall....they'd be a lot less obtrusive and I would imagine would have the same net effect? I suppose there will be issues of skimming the surface and bouncing off...but a non-flat panel with a scrim on it should resolve that issue. I just like the idea of there being a lot more space behind the panel and having the sound get trapped in the walls. That's of course bad for sound-transmission, but that's not always an issue for everyone.

Dr,

We are on the same wavelength about embedding the panels.

I am cursed with an 8ft ceiling (empty attic space above). I had also wondered about panels between the joists. This way they could be fairly deep. They could be faced with some cloth to blend in to the ceiling with a small white frame to cover the edges. Ideally it would be a subtle "architectual statement". Otherwise it would merely be a great deal of work and depreciate the house by $5-10K.

Good luck,

-Tom

If you are going to cover it in fabric, why not use carpet foam? Really cheap and available locally in every city.

Chris

Because it is not the same thing. The reason foam works is because of the cellular structure. Sound passes into the structure and is converted to heat. Carpet foam is a very high density structure and will not allow sound to pass thru and into the material. Also, real acoustical foam is fire retardant.

As for foam that looks decent, check out the Auralex Sonoflat panels. They look pretty good and come in a few colors. I sell them. Second, acoustic foam is the least effective treatment in the scheme of things. True acoustic panels are more effective. If you have a large space to treat and a limited budget, foam gets you the ability to treat a larger area cost effectively. But for smaller spaces, a few well placed real acoustic panels may be better. We are looking at selling some panels that are pretty cost effective.

Another key to acoustic foam is the varying thickness. Carpet foam (barring much sculpting) is same thickness. I selected 4" foambymail wedges, so the thickness varies from 0 to 4". The thicker the foam, the lower the frequency it works on. One of the keys per Ethan Winer's articles and others here, is BROADBAND absorbtion. Also the wedge shape might help a bit with diffraction of the waves. Solid carpet foam will accomplish neither of these.

...or cover everything in foam.

Ahhhhh, anechoic chamber! I certainly hope you're joking.

What you really wanna do is look at the RT60 and pretty much ignore the

raw frequency response of the room. You pretty much want even decay for

all frequencies and you want the reverb to last no longer than 500

milliseconds. Here's a measurement taken of a treated room:

art_etf3.gif

Figure 3 - This graph shows

how low a reverb time we were able to achieve using bass traps in the RealTraps

showroom. Note how uniform the reverb

time is versus frequency.

And you can read the rest of the article here:

http://www.realtraps.com/art_etf.htm

Ideally the decay would be flat down to 20Hz, but in a real room you

will have modal resonances that are tricking the microphone.