Moondogs on Audiogon

Guy Landau

3dzapper wrote "Bias adjustment is not required on the Moondogs type SET amps. It is determined by the plate voltage, current and cathode resistor value when designing the amps."

So no biasing sounds good to me!

Erik if I get these I will take some pics of the insides and send them to you. I believe he was the second owner but I will ask who the first owner was.

These amps seemed to be the perfect opportunity to try SET amps. The size of my living room, the fact that I do most of my music listening very early in the morning so I don't listen at loud levels, and the Moondogs have gotten such good reviews are the reasons to try these SET amps.

I know some do not like SET amps for different reasons but that is after trying them or hearing them. I may not like the amps but at least I will have tried them and Moondogs should have good resale value.

Or I may really like the amps and enjoy them for years to come. Plus I still have my Cayin TA 30 tube amp if I want more power.

Hi gang. I guess it is fairly clear that these are my amps that have only recently been displaced by PP Shindo el84. For the record, the first owner is a nice guy and a man of uncommon skill (whom Erik knows, I believe) - Thom Mackris of Galibier Design.

Kev:

"For the record, the first owner is a nice guy and a man of uncommon skill (whom Erik knows, I believe) - Thom Mackris of Galibier Design."

These are Thom Mackris' Moondogs!? I guess a careful look at the listing would have indicated that. My radar really needs an upgrade, I think. Hopefully the work this summer will help....

This pair of Moondogs should be good for many a long walk to come!

Erik

Tiger:

"Kev,

Do they have 16 ohm taps? How many watts?

Thanks,"

If Kev doesn't mind me answering this: Yes, 16 ohm tap can be used, but the OPT needs to be wired for that. If you need that information, I have it.

Erik

Thom, of course would have this information, too. It's not a difficult change, but helpful if enough length on the OPT secondaries have been preserved.

JB welcome to the SET club. When they arrive let us know so we can teach you the secret handshake.beatnik

If you are like me, you will be back and forth between the PP and SETs. Each has it's qualities and foibles. SET is sweet but ain't for rockin' the house. PP is ok for rockin the house but not as sweet for intimate listening at lower levels. There ain't nothing like a sax on SET. Well maybe SEX.[6] ( That's another Welborne product and I thought Adam and Eve...)

You'll learn to love both.[<:o)]

Rick

Kev:

"For the record, the first owner is a nice guy and a man of uncommon skill (whom Erik knows, I believe) - Thom Mackris of Galibier Design."

These are Thom Mackris' Moondogs!? I guess a careful look at the listing would have indicated that. My radar really needs an upgrade, I think. Hopefully the work this summer will help....

This pair of Moondogs should be good for many a long walk to come!

Erik

Thanks for covering for me while I was at work/Joffrey ballet today[:)]

Indeed these were Thom's. I purchased them last summer and greatly enjoyed them. As I explained to James, however, I currently have 2 systems up and running (well I currently am moving, so I have 3/4 of one system set up right now!), and spare gear coming out of my ears! I KNOW I will regret letting these go, but finally decided that moving some unused stuff is the best move for my mental well-being right now. Really, why have thousands of dollars in perfectly good gear sitting unused? No coincidence that this occurs at the same time I am moving, I suppose...

Next up will be the MC-30s and a pair of Model 700s (Heresies) that have seen better days.

3dzapper wrote "If you are like me, you will be back and forth between the PP and SETs. Each has it's qualities and foibles."

I think you are right! I need to get or build a new cabinet or stand for all my gear. This way I can switch the amps to my preamp easly.

My best friend installs home theaters for Bjorens audio video store in San Antonio and I may have him move everything into my bedroom on one big equipment stand. Then run speaker cables and a remote control sensor cable inside the wall up above the celing and down to the equipment in my room.

He can set it up so I can control everything from the living room. I would have to walk into the bedroom to change cds and other things with the system but it is only about 12 feet so not bad.

So all I would have in the living room would be the 3 La Scalas up front, the rear speakers, RSW 12 and my 34 inch Sony TV on top of the center La Scala. It would make the living room seem a little bit bigger and have more of a home theater look to it.

The only thing that would stop me from doing this is how much would it cost to do the remote control sensor set up.

Just thinking about it now but maybe in the futrue. My buddy owes me a big favor since I sold my KLF 20s to him for $200.

If I did this the cabinets between the speakers with my gear would be moved to the bedroom.

post-13699-13819281795558_thumb.jpg

Chris:

"I've heard LeoK's Moondogs with Choruses and the sound is quite impressive. He did, however, do a parafeed mod which took it up a level as well.I love my 2A3 SET with a similar design (Horus) and cobalt OPT's. There is more than enough juice for comfortable db's in a good size room with Klipschorns."

True enough. LeoK and I ( as well as Thom M.) also experiment with the Ultrapath return from the original DRD design, and LeoK took that a step further by taking out the original Moondog OPT and in its place added the plate choke and parafeed OPT. He also removed one 6SN7, and simply used both half sections of one for input and driver -- which is likely more a question of a good sense of economy and proximity of the input into the first stage of the amp.

I also agree that a good parafeed design is subjectively a step up in performance. But that said, I hooked the Moondogs up to the Klipschorns after not hearing them as the primary amps in a couple of years, and had forgotten how good they are. With all due respect to Rick, the Moondogs didn't have a problem with what I think of as LOUD, but, yeah, bass response is not quite as tight and controlled as it is with a stronger amplifer.

Erik