Moondogs on Audiogon

Guy Landau

I use my SS Luxman int amp as a preamp with very good results with my Cayin TA 30 tube amp but I am not sure it would match good with these. I have La Scalas, sit 8-10 feet from the speakers and listen to music from 3:30-7:30 AM so I don't need it loud. Anyone out there with some of these and La Scalas?

I use my SS Luxman int amp as a preamp with very good results with my Cayin TA 30 tube amp but I am not sure it would match good with these. I have La Scalas, sit 8-10 feet from the speakers and listen to music from 3:30-7:30 AM so I don't need it loud. Anyone out there with some of these and La Scalas?

You will not find many amps that will excel a pair of 2A3 Moondogs in the scenario you've outlined. I owned Belles when I purchased my Moondogs and the only thing I know that would sound better is a lower powered 45 triode based SET amp. BTW, LaScalas are efficient enough that you can achieve "very loud" with a pair of Moondogs.

Klipsch out.

I rarely turn my volume past 9 so if I can scrape the money together I will get them. If not oh well. I could use these after work early morning and my Cayin during the day when I want to go louder. Plus these seem to have excellent resale value if I want to sell them later.

I have wated to try a SET amp and these have been very highly recommended on the forum so if I can get the money I'll give them a try.

When I was 20 I wanted loud now I'm 40 and want quality sound and I can live with bass that is not the deepest, etc.

If I get them this to see if I like SET amps so it would be a experiment.

JBSL:

"When I was 20 I wanted loud now I'm 40 and want quality sound and I can live with bass that is not the deepest, etc."

With speakers with the efficiency of Klipschorns, Belles, La Scalas, Cornwalls, etc., single-ended triode amps can provide very loud and clean output -- in the right room. I have many SET amps here, and all of them have given us outstanding performance with our former Lowther horns, La Scalas, and now Klipschorns and Heresies.

If you don't have vaulted ceilings and a very large space to fill, a 3 watt amp can be amazingly good with horns. A 1.5 watt amp can be amazingly good with Klipschorns, as well as provide very high SPLs -- in an average room. More than the power issue though, this kind of amplifier is for those who like them very musical. No they don't have bass that slams, which can be important for some, but is also somewhat program-dependent IMO.

For those who may be considering, keep in my that the Moondog's 2A3 heaters are A/C heated, which will allow one to hear a very slightly but tuneable hum from the speakers. The potentiometer on the top of the chassis is a hum null control, which is used to balance the A/C filaments for lowest hum. That can be done by ear, or more accurately with a multi-meter. In both Cases, very simple to do.

Keep in mind, too, that the Moondogs were most often sold as kits, so the skills of the builder will have some influence on the final result. You might ask the seller if he/she can provide a picture of the interior wiring, or ask if they monoblocks are factory built.

One of the very best amplifiers of it's type, I think. As others have also said, a really great match for horns.

Erik

I've heard LeoK's Moondogs with Choruses and the sound is quite impressive. He did, however, do a parafeed mod which took it up a level as well.

I love my 2A3 SET with a similar design (Horus) and cobalt OPT's. There is more than enough juice for comfortable db's in a good size room with Klipschorns.

Chris