will a HK 635 have enough power to power 4 RF-7's

brokenarrow1

Just to get back with you, from what I've heard from the impedence of the RF7's and the overheating of some of the medium-priced AVR's, you're pushing it. It might depend on listening habits, volume, source material and room size.

If you're trying to do 4x RF7 HT, I'd say that you're probably seriously underpowered. For moderate music listening, possibly okay.

Wait judgement until guys with RF7 experience chime in, I just wanted to get you some feedback.

Michael

Its more likely you'll go deaf at an early age.The 635 drives my klf

20's(less eff than 7's) to crazy levels long before it ever reaches

anything close to clipping,its never clipped.That said more power is

always good but not needed.

I agree with Colter...

For music you shouldn't have a problem and it really depends on your listening habits for HT.

If you like to crank it for HT use, and you do not have a sub, then my bets are that you will clip the reciever. The dynamics of movies which extend very low, coupled with the low impedence in the bass region, makes for some very nasty popping noises. Especially if you are trying to drive 4 of the suckers.

I could be wrong about your particular reciever, but I've been there and done that with very similar gear.

Ditto on most of the above. It depends on your habits. I've heard much of the overheating issues the HK's have but have yet to overheat the 500. Four RF-7s will be underpowered but only if you listen at ear-splitting levels. Otherwise enjoy (but then again, what do you have four Rf-7's for unless you want ear splitting I guess).

So let me get this right. I am sorry for being dumb about this stuff, but as long as I don't crank them I should not have a problem? I was under the impression that even at low volume it could effect or even blow speakers because of low power.

The reason I am getting the Rf-7s Over R-35's that I can get R-35's right now $ 750.00, I can get a pair of RF-7S for $ 950.00 ITB with full warranty from a Author. Dealer So that's the whole deal here. I justt don't want to buy them and not have the equipment now ,to use them. I will look at an Amp later after my wallet cools off.

Some folks whose opinion I really trust (Michael C.) for one have spoken up here and probably have more experience with these units.

However - when I read the specs on the HK I have a hard time seeing a real problem. At 75 Watts per channel you should be able to go near where your ears would ring for a week.

That said - I am not a fan of new HK stuff - they seem to be 'less' than a similar rated Denon to my ear and I quite simply don't like the touches they put on the sound. I don't know how to verbalize it, but there is a stark difference between my Denon and my HK avr downstairs - in favor of the Denon.

The HK v Denon comparison is all subjective,I've owned the 3802/03/05

and the 635 is not only heavier but easily a better sounding avr to me.

That said,I'm starting to think that the same models of avrs/prepros

can have different sound.I often wonder if some units have different

parts(same but different supplier)that can make one sound great and

another kinda suck.

I had an HK 7200 once and it was built like a BSH and was the worse sounding unit I ever heard.

What size room? In a 10x10 it will blow you out of the room. In a 20x20 just about right. Anything larger and you may want to up the power. The HK635 is a 75wpc unit and being a HK that rating will be on the low side. In most normal instances it should be fine. Laters, Jeff

Agreed here too. My listening area is 4000ft^3 so I'm need'n a little extra juice than most.

But, let me clarify about cranking HT. What I was referring to is getting good dynamic range -- voices are all to sound normal but explosions, crashes, and the like are to sound just like that. While I never listen anywhere close to 'reference level' during movies, certain scenes (Matrix2,3, LOTR, etc) would make the receiver clip as it was trying to drive the RF7s in the low bass spectrum.

Not a problem anymore with a sub.

So let me get this right. I am sorry for being dumb about this stuff, but as long as I don't crank them I should not have a problem? I was under the impression that even at low volume it could effect or even blow speakers because of low power.

The reason I am getting the Rf-7s Over R-35's that I can get R-35's right now $ 750.00, I can get a pair of RF-7S for $ 950.00 ITB with full warranty from a Author. Dealer So that's the whole deal here. I justt don't want to buy them and not have the equipment now ,to use them. I will look at an Amp later after my wallet cools off.

No, at low volumes an underpowered unit should not damage your speakers. It's when the volumes levels increase and the source or the speakers begins to clip that you run risks of damage. Like I said, however, you should be fine.