Difference between RB-81 and RB-75?

Over13

Hi,

Can someone tell me what significant change was made, if any, on the RB-81 from the RB-75? They look like nearly identical cabinet and specs, although crossover changed from 2000Hz to 1500Hz. I need the 97db efficiency for an 18wpc tube amp and I was considering the RB-75 until I saw the RB-81.

Thank you!

Don

Welcome to the forum over13.

My RB-75's have a 1.75 inch driver (the RB-81 has a 1 inch), weighs 2 lbs heavier, and has a Cherry wood veneer (vs the RB-81's plastic) housing. I can't imagine the RB-81, looking or sounding better than my RB-75's. If you are lucky enough to find a pair they may be discounted. On a bang for your buck comparison I would opt for a pair of RB-75's. That being said I have not heard the new bookshelves.

What should I expect to pay for a pair of these at an authorized

store. I am going to look for some "discontinued" deals this

weekend. Thanks!! Chad

Imo, if you can pick them up for $800 you will not be disappointed. I also feel they are going to be hard to find at retail stores. If you have to pay $950 NIB, that would be worth the investment compared to the new RB-81's (of course that is not an impartial recommendation [;)]--I have not heard the RB-81's).

• 5 months later...

I spent several hours evaluating the RB-61 (my otherwise
very competent dealer, Water Street Stereo in Santa Cruz did not have the RB-81 yet). I
compared them to both RB-35 and RB-75, both of which I now own. I did not
concentrate on the bass because of the 6" vs 8" woofer mismatch.

I noticed a significant difference in voicing from the
upper-midrange on up. Im not sure how
much of this is because of an intended tonal change, vs. lack of break-in on
the RB-61. According to the press
releases, the newer speakers are supposed to have better cabinet bracing (leading to better bass) and a "refined" treble ( toned
down is my reading).

The RB-61 still had the excellent dynamics I liked, but on
the whole I preferred the RB-35 in almost every other category. I think the new voicing was less detailed and
a bit more mainstream (e.g. closer to Monitor, Energy, Paradigm). Not bad, but I preferred the older
models. Over the years Ive discovered
that I prefer detailed and analytical sound over a warm blend (thats why my
season symphony tickets are in row 4 instead of the rear of the hall), YMMV.

The wild card may be the break-in factor. I remember comparing two samples of the same
model Monitor Silver speakers at a showroom, one of which was fresh out of the
box. It was much more reserved, and the
tonal differences between them were somewhat similar to the RB-61 differences. The only way to tell for sure is once they
get a set of RB-81s broken in, Ill have to take my RB-75s back in for a
rematch.

I'd be interested in hearing an official response on this one (could the lack of break-in account for the difference I heard, was my reading of the press releases mistaken?).

Welcome to the Forum seaan,

...The RB-61 still had the excellent dynamics I liked, but on the whole I preferred the RB-35 in almost every other category.

TKDA: Surely not compared to the RB-75's? [:o]

...I'd be interested in hearing an official response on this one (could the lack of break-in account for the difference I heard, ...

TKDA: Far from official, but I doubt it. [;)]

The only way to tell for sure is once they

get a set of RB-81s broken in, Ill have to take my RB-75s back in for a

rematch.

I'd be interested in hearing an official response on this one (could the lack of break-in account for the difference I heard, was my reading of the press releases mistaken?).

As quoted by some klipsch admins, the rb75 has no direct predecessor as the RF75 carried the flagsip horn (1.75 inch) while the rf81 carries the (1 inch) where the flagship model carries the 1.25 inch.

I'm in the process right now on purchasing Ben Clarke's cherry RB-75s...this is my first take on Klipsch Reference Series horns so I'm pretty excited about it. I've always loved the Heritage Series (having heard several Klipschorns and using my dad's Cornwalls over the years), so I'm guessing the discontinued flagship Reference bookshelf monitors will continue on with the traditional Klipsch sound, driven by my 300B SET amp![;)]

Jim, you should be in for a treat. Back before my Heritage bug, I really loved my set of RB75s, and in certain aspects more so than my RC7 and RF7s. Then again, I traded them in a package for tube gear, including my beloved Marantz 8b. The RB75s are truly unique for a large "bookshelf" speaker.

Carl.

wow, such strong positions based on pure emotion. There is nothing inherant in any of the specs to claim one better than the other.

[:^)] I know my opinion was based partly on emotion, having enjoyed 2 pairs of RB-75's. My rationale on recommendation was based on personal interpretation of the Specs and Steve Phillips comments on another thread. Insofar as the answer to the question of the thread I gave it my best shot. [;)]

"wow, such strong positions based on pure emotion. There is nothing inherant in any of the specs to claim one better than the other."

Well, duh......Mike.

The original poster of this thread correctly noted just that - the specs of the two speakers are remarkably similar, and therefore, he wanted some SUBJECTIVE feedback.

That is, how do each speakers sound?

You acknowledge that each model has a different driver and horn on the top end? The RB81 has the replacement driver for the RB35 and the RB75 shares a similar driver to the RF7/RC7.

It also appears from those who have heard both lines (Reference III and IV) that the overall sound of the upper horns are somewhat different. I admit to liking RB75s, but have yet to heard the latest line of bookshelves. Some reviews of RF83s and RF82s in here indicate that some prefer the overall "sound" of Reference IV to Reference III and vice versa - and much of those differences have to do with how the top horns present themselves. There appear to be passionate advocates on both sides.

So......Mike. To provide the original poster with useful information, which "sound" do you prefer - Reference III or Reference IV? It is a question that requires an answer based purely on emotion.

Carl.

I'm not disagreeing with anybody [:)]

Just dying to hear a review of a direct AB between the 75 and 81 (in a good acoustical environment)...I think my comment was being taken negatively based on the responses - though I for the life of me can't see it [*-)]

wow, such strong positions based on pure emotion. There is nothing inherant in any of the specs to claim one better than the other.

Subjective would imply actually hearing both speakers - emotional was referring to opinions without actually hearing them.

I'm not disagreeing with anybody [:)]

Just dying to hear a review of a direct AB between the 75 and 81 (in a good acoustical environment)...I think my comment was being taken negatively based on the responses - though I for the life of me can't see it [*-)]

It seemed to me you were chastising *somebody* for having a subjective opinion to the OP's question. I guess it was in your delivery. [;)]