RF-82

GeorgeV

I think it is time to check out the electronics, or see if there is some accoustic issues to deal with via sub placement, speaker placement, or sub settings. I have RF-82's in a 2 channel setup with no crossovers, and I would not describe the Bass as muddy. I think they perform surprisingly well, just not extending quite as low or hitting quite as hard as the RF-83's. If I was running them in a Multichannel setup with a Sub I would cross them over at no higher than 60hz, because in the 80-120hz range they really perform well.

I have also checked them with my SP295 RTA and they really do have a nice response curve down to around 45hz. Drop off is noticeable down to 35hz, and then extreme from there.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear that at least some are reporting the bass is not muddy on their RF-82 without cross over. You must be running plenty of clean power on that RF-82 without crossover.

Found a little culprit, replaced the cable with quality 12 gauge cable and it did sound better. set my cross over at 70Hz now and it sound OK. I need more clean power for them.

Thanks.

just an FYI, now the cross overs are:

RF-82s - 70Hz

RC-62 - 80Hz

RS-42s - 90Hz.

LFE at 80Hz.

That's all i can do that yield the cleanest and tightest sound. It's not gonna be that bad once the MFW-15 arrive.

Thank you for all help.

• 2 weeks later...

What is not impressing you??? what is lacking?

You have to have some amp set up or speaker placement issues. I am not a fan of the Onkyo stuff but that brand should still make the speaker setup you have rock. Try this, set everything to small, sub to LFE, all crossovers to 80. How does that sound? With this set up, try moving the mains aorund a bit.

I have almost the same setup (I have a 52 vs your 62). First off, I used the Audessy auto set up with mixed results. Then I went in and set up a manual eq with everything FLAT. Then I set everything up to the above I gave you. My Denon 3808 does not have a movie or music mode.....it has different DSPs. I only use Dolby where applicable. If I am listening to music, I am using either pure direct (all electronic processing, including lights, turned off) or 7 channel stereo. Both sound great. Pure direct takes out the center and rears and just uses the mains and subs. Man, the 82s really sing in this mode at high volume.

I've had some setups where I wasn't happy with the output but...it was just that....set up or placement.

I have the RF-82s, RC-62 and RS-42s... To be honest with you, I am not impress on how they perform anymore. I am using a Onkyo 805 to drive all of them and in music mode, it was Ok and in movie mode it's a little better. Does anyone here have the exact same setup and please post your cross over setting as I would like to compare mine.

Here is how is mine setup currently:

RF-82s - 80Hz, RC-62 - 90Hz, and RS-42s - 100Hz. My LFE is set to 100Hz. That's the lowest I can go without it sound all muddy and unclean when I am listening music both in stereo mode and all channel stereo mode.

I am listening at about -20dB and I am justifying should I get an external amp (Emotiva or Outlaw) or just upgrade the speakers.

If someone has similar setup, please reply.

Thank you.

Well I got the RS 6's. And man they are killer. I can't compare them to the RF 82's which may sound excellent as well, but these things sound wonderful. The mid range is superb and hI barely need the RW10D, and would not really miss it for music. The KG 3.2 are now my surrounds (but really bad WAF) and the room itself has issues but the sound of good recordings in stereo, and music DVD (this week it was Porcupine Tree "Arriving Somewhere" and Allman Bros live at the beacon Theatre) sound terrific. Not to laud other brands so loudly here but I did want to say how good these speakers sound.