Mapletree Audio 5B SE preamps?

whamo

Hello all. I've been considering getting one of these in the kit form.

I shouldn't have any problems putting it together. I can solder well

and read simple schematics. I was just wondering if these units are any

good at all. I read all the previous posts about them when the search

options were viable. Anyways last I heard Craig at Nosvalves was gonna

check them out but I haven't seen any follow ups. I just upgraded to

cornwalls and now it's really time to go upstream and get some better

components. Plus I really like the idea of building it myself for the

fun of it. Thanx, Mark

I used a couple Ultra 4A SE for about a year or so until I went to a Juicy Music Blueberry. In fact I modified my original 4A and that is how Lloyd came up with SE version. He also designed a Tube rectified power supply for the 4A at my prodding. His products work very well for the $ spent. He is also very easy to deal with. The 5B I have no experience with so your on your own there. I will tell his products usually benefit from power supply upgrades to get them quiet with Klipsch speakers. Lloyd doesn't test with super effecient speakers.

Craig

Thanx, I think I'll call there monday. But by the time I pay for shipping, customs, and brokerage? fees. I might be better off with a Merlin. What do you think? Thanx Mark

Yes, that's a good alternative if you're not spinning vinyl. Like Craig I also owned a Mapletree Ultra 4A SE. While it was certainly a nice preamp for the money, it just didn't come close to my JM Peach or BlueBerry Xtreme. Good luck!

Thanx, I think I'll call there monday. But by the time I pay for shipping, customs, and brokerage? fees. I might be better off with a Merlin. What do you think? Thanx Mark

My 2 cents. For anyone not worried about records, if you are in the market for a low buck tube preamp and are spending over $300, go for the Merlin (which essentially means go for the Merlin). From what has been posted here, it will get you very close to the Peach at a significant savings. How can you go wrong?

Chris

I also used to own a Mapletree Audio 4A SE with tube rectified power supply after Craig suggested the mods for it. It worked well and was quite happy with it. I was able to obtain a Peach at a good price, so made the change. Good value for the money and Lloyd is very easy to deal with. The Peach is a better unit, but it does sell for more money than the Mapletree. The Merlin would be a good bet for the money if you do not need a phono stage.

I currently have a Mapletree "Ultra" 4A SE (Special Edition) and I have loved it. I picked it up from a fella who has more money than he knows what to do with. He had owned it for all of three months and used it very little as he has some very expensive gear.

I bought it to splice into my main system during the time Craig at NOS Valves had my McIntosh C11 Pre amp that he went through, and I have not used it since.

If you are looking for a 4A SE in mint condition with some NOS extra tubes and the original manual I will make you a good deal on it.

Good luck either way,

Bill Woodward